Seriously No Politics ×

Diet/exercise

I was wondering if there's any interest out there  if I started a thread so people could ask each other questions pertaining to diet/food intake/exercise. I'm also asking the mods, dont know, maybe this subject is to personal, I dont even no if you can give diet advice to people online, is there legall issues? Anyways, just thought I'd ask. Any thoughts?

Edited by AtlanticMike

I'd be interested!

ETA: You asked what our health routine is. I have rejoined my gym and love to swim and I recently stair stepped while watching a movie and for some strange reason as I went to get off I didn't turn it completely off and fell and took a chunk of skin off my shin! 

So I am going to try to hit the gym at least 3 times a week or more and get off the couch! Netflix is sure too convenient! 

I drink homemade Kefir every night to swallow down my supplements which are fish oil, vitamin E, B-12 and D... Lion's Mane, Biotin, a thyroid supplement and calcium/magnesium. Someone mentioned that these are all a waste of money but I disagree. 

I need to work on drinking more water, and get off my diet dr. pepper habit. And work on getting 10,000 steps a day, which sometimes only amounts to around 2000 when not working. And getting more sleep!

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I'd be interested!

ETA: You asked what our health routine is. I have rejoined my gym and love to swim and I recently stair stepped while watching a movie and for some strange reason as I went to get off I didn't turn it completely off and fell and took a chunk of skin off my shin! 

So I am going to try to hit the gym at least 3 times a week or more and get off the couch! Netflix is sure too convenient! 

I drink homemade Kefir every night to swallow down my supplements which are fish oil, vitamin E, B-12 and D... Lion's Mane, Biotin, a thyroid supplement and calcium/magnesium. Someone mentioned that these are all a waste of money but I disagree. 

I need to work on drinking more water, and get off my diet dr. pepper habit. And work on getting 10,000 steps a day, which sometimes only amounts to around 2000 when not working. And getting more sleep!

Ouch!!! I also take chunks of skin from my body, regularly, guess I'm a klutz. You sound like my wife, she loves gyms and exercise machines, I cant stand them, I'm old school when it comes to exercise and diet.

We love Netflix. My wife bought a $1000 recumbent bike off of craigslist for $150, one of the best items we have ever bought off of craigslist. We have it sitting beside the tv. We just watched a movie called The Little Things, I think it was on HBO, she cycled the whole movie, didnt get very far though🤣

Edited by AtlanticMike
3 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Ouch!!! I also take chunks of skin from my body, regularly, guess I'm a klutz. You sound like my wife, she loves gyms and exercise machines, I cant stand them, I'm old school when it comes to exercise and diet.

I only like the stair stepper when watching a movie I like, Vasa has the cinema. The old school exercise I get is playing pickle ball.. and I normally hate gyms but it was the best option because of the lap pool. I tried out the local indoor pool and it was the kind that starts to get real wavy, it's called, "Surf n Swim", so I chose to go back to my old gym, Vasa, that has a pool, it will be expensive but I'm only going to go for a few months. 

11 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I only like the stair stepper when watching a movie I like, Vasa has the cinema. The old school exercise I get is playing pickle ball.. and I normally hate gyms but it was the best option because of the lap pool. I tried out the local indoor pool and it was the kind that starts to get real wavy, it's called, "Surf n Swim", so I chose to go back to my old gym, Vasa, that has a pool, it will be expensive but I'm only going to go for a few months. 

Pools are wonderful, great exercise. Really good for relieving stress also. Fortunately, I have a huge salt pool a few minutes away, it also has waves, but mine comes with sharks and jellyfish 😁. I think your pool might be safer than mine.

1 minute ago, AtlanticMike said:

Pools are wonderful, great exercise. Really good for relieving stress also. Fortunately, I have a huge salt pool a few minutes away, it also has waves, but mine comes with sharks and jellyfish 😁. I think your pool might be safer than mine.

If only!!! Not to be, closest we have is the Great Salt Lake! 

So are you going to share your health regime?

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

If only!!! Not to be, closest we have is the Great Salt Lake! 

So are you going to share your health regime?

Yes ma'am. I'm going to use my daily diet/exercise routine and also my wife's  to show there's many ways to find what works best for someone, because ours are totally different. My wife is obsessed with her Fitbit and a calorie counter she uses on her phone. She counts every calorie she takes in, she knows how many calories she burns, how many steps she takes, her exact weight, her exact BMI, she has it down to a science. It works great for her and helps her feel comfortable to know exactly where she's at daily so she can get to her cheat day without any stress. But, for me, when I think about trying to diet or exercise on this kind of routine, it actually stresses me out to even think about it🤣

My routine is built around a cooler. 90% of everything I eat comes out of a cooler I have with me everyday.  90% of what I eat I actually cook or prepare myself, that way I stay away from fast food almost entirely. The only time I go into a fastfood joint is to use the bathroom or steal condiments 😁. I prepare all my meals for Monday through Friday on sunday. They're individually packed and ready to go. My kids know if they touch my food, I will go into their room and empty the dresser drawers and closet straight onto the floor, trust me it works. 

Personally, I cant stand gyms. My main exercise is using a 12lbs and 22lbs sledgehammer to beat the crap out of a tractor tire. It's a total body workout physically and mentally. Also, I bought an old go kart about 15 years ago, a 2 seater, and I took the engine off so more kids could fit on it. Once or twice a week I pull my wife and kids around the block on the go kart, they take turns steering. If I want a total body workout I have a chest harness I attach the rope to, if I want a lower body workout only, I have an old weight belt I attach the rope to. Yes, our neighbors think we're a little crazy. 

Other small things I do, or we do as a family are, whatever store we're going in, we park in the farthest parking space available, everytime, no cheating. We dont drink or buy soda. We dont eat in front of the tv, I find it cuts down on snacking and mess. And one of the biggest things we do as a family is we raise a lot of our own meat. If your interested in raising meat or raising birds for eggs, I suggest quail. Some lay 300 eggs a year. So 3 Hens = 8 to 900 eggs a year. All it takes is a 2'x2' cage and about $80 in feed. 

So I hope I gave you guys some ideas, everyone is different when it comes to dieting and exercising. The main thing is finding a routine you can live with daily without stressing. Please feel free to leave comments,  I love learning how other people live. If you have any questions feel free to ask

6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

And work on getting 10,000 steps a day

You have a FitBit? I wear one, and sometimes I even get 5,000 steps in a day.

I'm a wuss.

14 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

You have a FitBit? I wear one, and sometimes I even get 5,000 steps in a day.

I'm a wuss.

I have something similar to fit bit. I only get that many steps when I'm working with a class that needs a lot of running around or when I walk the neighborhood. Many days I don't hit 5,000..

You're no wuss! 

12 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I have something similar to fit bit. I only get that many steps when I'm working with a class that needs a lot of running around or when I walk the neighborhood. Many days I don't hit 5,000..

You're no wuss! 

Well, either that, or were fellow wusses! :D 

I used to be in great shape but the lockdown last year was very hard on me emotionally and DH and I both got a little lazy and way too “bodacious”. We’re both on track now. We put our fitbits back on and are restricting our calories. He likes to do low carb but I get bored with that so I just set my intake to 1200 or 1300 cal a day.  I take my dad and my dog for a walk twice a day and now I’ve added a third faster, longer walk by myself about mid day and this way it’s easy to get my 10,000 steps. I always try to get outside even if the weather is lousy. It just makes me feel better all around. 

17 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

I used to be in great shape but the lockdown last year was very hard on me emotionally and DH and I both got a little lazy and way too “bodacious”. We’re both on track now. We put our fitbits back on and are restricting our calories. He likes to do low carb but I get bored with that so I just set my intake to 1200 or 1300 cal a day.  I take my dad and my dog for a walk twice a day and now I’ve added a third faster, longer walk by myself about mid day and this way it’s easy to get my 10,000 steps. I always try to get outside even if the weather is lousy. It just makes me feel better all around. 

Thanks for the good example! I've put on weight since covid, and my clothes all fit tighter, kind of depressing especially if I can't get back to where it was because of my older age or lower metabolism. You inspired me with your ability to decrease the calories you take in. Does it work well? I use to think that by going with less calories it might make the body put on more fat because it thinks your starving. But maybe if they're not drastically cut it works out well. 

Also, I love how you said you take your dad and dog on walks!! Lucky them!! <3

2 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Anyone else here of the opinion that the heart you are born with has a fixed number of beats assigned and anything that speeds up the heart also shortens your life? 

Nobody? 

Hmmmm ! 

Exercise would make no difference then in death rates.  Random studies would tend to average out how many heart beats a person has and therefore the group who exercises sufficiently to have higher heart beats daily should die sooner even if exercising can drop the heart rate some. 

Edited by Calm
11 hours ago, Tacenda said:

decrease the calories you take in. Does it work well? 

For me it’s the only thing that works. I tend to be a hog and it’s really easy for me to eat mindlessly if I’m not careful so I input everything that goes in my mouth to my app. The exception is free foods. I looked up weight watchers list of foods that you don’t have to keep track of and use those if I’m hungry. Like green beans for example. I don’t worry about the calories from those type of foods. 
I think the starvation mode you mentioned really only kicks in if you drastically reduce your calories to an unhealthy level. For me, 1200 to 1300 cal is really perfect for slowish weight loss (8-10 lbs a month)

9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Did I just read you are taking cannabis!!? It works differently for everyone, so hoping it's helping you get sleep and any thing else that ails you! :)  

It is helpful with sleep and depression and anxiety (though the last to a limited extent at the moment as in it helps the formless anxiety, but not specific such as dealing with bills).  Not affecting pain, but given my use of narcotics it may take time for my body to figure out that side of things out (the plan is after I get my sleep on schedule, to start substituting the cannabis for the harder stuff). Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to do anything for massive, massive apathy (how depression usually manifests for me first) and I am still waking up feeling like yech, so it takes a couple of hours to get going...if I can make myself to move.   The apathy is probably why I am losing weight without the anxiety to push me to eat for distraction.   I can’t get myself to get out of bed to eat until I am almost sick with hunger. Fun, fun, fun.   

I am hoping I can fine tune it to remove most of the unwanted side effects (upset stomach) and then even if I can’t improve the positive effects, it will help me get my sleep into some sort of schedule. I just have to convince myself to sleep during the time I feel best in the day...which is hard to do as I want to enjoy those moments. 

Once I get a schedule if that is actually possible (hasn’t really been possible since my 30’s), it will be easier to deal with the apathy and eating decently. 

My daughter is having issues with getting her body stabilized after a year or more of a roller coasting thyroid, so is not able to use it consistently enough yet to find therapeutic levels for nausea and such. She is actually trying vaping, which is something we never thought we would try...but if it helps with her almost constant these days nausea and helps her get a decent appetite, the smell will be worth it (I even made a sploof for her...I feel sometimes in a Twilight Zone episode of an alternate universe where weed is a actually legitimate drug instead of the domain of hippies and losers). ;) 

Life is so absurd at times.  Good Mormon girl here vaping the dank herb as my daughter calls it. I will probably stick to tinctures and gummies unless I figure out how not to injure my throat as I am already prone to rough throat due to sinus issues...and I would like to see some long term studies on effects of vaping to balance cost and effect (if it works for my daughter and the nausea, it is worth the possible long term lung damage in 25 or more years in the future, but I will be surprised if I need it as I am not finding the daytime use helpful).

Anyway, if anyone is curious about getting a medical card in Utah and how the process goes and what the dispensary and medical help is like and costs, PM me. 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

It is helpful with sleep and depression and anxiety (though the last to a limited extent at the moment as in it helps the formless anxiety, but not specific such as dealing with bills).  Not affecting pain, but given my use of narcotics it may take time for my body to figure out that side of things out (the plan is after I get my sleep on schedule, to start substituting the cannabis for the harder stuff). Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to do anything for massive, massive apathy (how depression usually manifests for me first) and I am still waking up feeling like yech, so it takes a couple of hours to get going...if I can make myself to move.   The apathy is probably why I am losing weight without the anxiety to push me to eat for distraction.   I can’t get myself to get out of bed to eat until I am almost sick with hunger. Fun, fun, fun.   

I am hoping I can fine tune it to remove most of the unwanted side effects (upset stomach) and then even if I can’t improve the positive effects, it will help me get my sleep into some sort of schedule. I just have to convince myself to sleep during the time I feel best in the day...which is hard to do as I want to enjoy those moments. 

Once I get a schedule if that is actually possible (hasn’t really been possible since my 30’s), it will be easier to deal with the apathy and eating decently. 

My daughter is having issues with getting her body stabilized after a year or more of a roller coasting thyroid, so is not able to use it consistently enough yet to find therapeutic levels for nausea and such. She is actually trying vaping, which is something we never thought we would try...but if it helps with her almost constant these days nausea and helps her get a decent appetite, the smell will be worth it (I even made a sploof for her...I feel sometimes in a Twilight Zone episode of an alternate universe where weed is a actually legitimate drug instead of the domain of hippies and losers). ;) 

Life is so absurd at times.  Good Mormon girl here vaping the dank herb as my daughter calls it. I will probably stick to tinctures and gummies unless I figure out how not to injure my throat as I am already prone to rough throat due to sinus issues...and I would like to see some long term studies on effects of vaping to balance cost and effect (if it works for my daughter and the nausea, it is worth the possible long term lung damage in 25 or more years in the future, but I will be surprised if I need it as I am not finding the daytime use helpful).

Anyway, if anyone is curious about getting a medical card in Utah and how the process goes and what the dispensary and medical help is like and costs, PM me. 

I called my doctor and he couldn't give me a letter for a medical card, and said I'd have to go through a doctor that does that or it was his nurse that passed on the information.

Yes, it's definitely hard to get over the stigma of cannabis and it being so bad, especially when it's being vaped. When it's a tincture, it's way more an acceptable thing, or feeling.

I am depressed lately too. And haven't slept for days, or I have but not many hours, so I don't know how you've been able to do it for all these years Calm. So for me, CBD oil hasn't helped me sleep, and because I don't get it from a dispensary, I'll bet that could change with something to narrow down to my needs unlike the ma & pa (minus the pa) outfit in Colorado that I go through. 

Edited by Tacenda
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 7:54 AM, AtlanticMike said:

I was wondering if there's any interest out there  if I started a thread so people could ask each other questions pertaining to diet/food intake/exercise. I'm also asking the mods, dont know, maybe this subject is to personal, I dont even no if you can give diet advice to people online, is there legall issues? Anyways, just thought I'd ask. Any thoughts?

Intermittent fasting works for me when I can't work out on the regular, like now.  Lousy nursing program.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, Calm said:

Beats SSRI's.  Yet another reason why I tend to like Mormons more than most protties here stateside, they're more open.  I've met the typical TBM who hated weed, i'll still take him over the alcoholic Protestant/Evangelical any day.  

I do hope it gets legalized, we've had cannabis around for thousands of years, modern pharma?  Very recently.  The corruption/good old boy politics makes me vomit too.  

On 2/20/2021 at 6:35 PM, poptart said:

do hope it gets legalized, we've had cannabis around for thousands of years,

However, the current cannabis isn’t what has been around for 1000’s of years and therefore there may be serious issues with use such as this one:

https://svhealthcare.org/Wellness-Connection/marijuana-related-stomach-disorder-on-the-rise

THC does upset my stomach, which is how I found that article, and alters moods often in negative ways for me as well as positive though so far CBD does not upset as much, but need to take more to have an effect on sleep. 

Edited by Calm