Mormons, planes and cell phones.

During a January 2020 talk in Lima Peru, Elder Holland explained to a mormon audience, that technological  advancements in the past 100 years have been for the advancement of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He said that computers were invented for the furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that we let other people use them, but they are for us. He also explained that planes are for mormons, so we can spread the gospel. Also, cell phones are for us, and basically anything in the fields of transportation, communication and science are all the result of the latter day blessings. 

Do other Prophets or Apostles teach that all the important world developments are for the mormon church, the gospel? If so, do we let other people/religions use them because they're also children of God? Thank you.

2 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

During a January 2020 talk in Lima Peru, Elder Holland explained to a mormon audience, that technological  advancements in the past 100 years have been for the advancement of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He said that computers were invented for the furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that we let other people use them, but they are for us. He also explained that planes are for mormons, so we can spread the gospel. Also, cell phones are for us, and basically anything in the fields of transportation, communication and science are all the result of the latter day blessings. 

Do other Prophets or Apostles teach that all the important world developments are for the mormon church, the gospel? If so, do we let other people/religions use them because they're also children of God? Thank you.

That's what I was told growing up. And how it coincides with the technology before and since the church was restored how quickly all these inventions happened to further mission work. 

10 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

That's what I was told growing up. And how it coincides with the technology before and since the church was restored how quickly all these inventions happened to further mission work. 

Thanks Tacenda, I was never taught this, that's why I'm asking, it kinda shocked me to tell you the truth.

Yay - time to break out my old Elders Quorum presentation on Social Media!  On one hand, church leaders be like

"I raise an apostolic voice of warning about the potentially stifling, suffocating, suppressing, and constraining impact of some kinds of cyberspace interactions and experiences upon our souls.“

“You can also view material on the Internet, on purpose or by accident, that will poison your spirit and mind, jeopardize your safety or your family’s, or get you into legal or financial trouble."

"parts of that online world are dangerous. Some Internet neighborhoods attract people and businesses you and your family need to avoid. Some people will want to steal your money and threaten your safety. Without parental guidance and supervision, children can put themselves in physical danger or encounter materials that are spiritual and intellectual poison."

"My heart aches when a young couple ... experiences marital difficulties because of the addicting effect of excessive video gaming or online socializing.”

And on the other hand, they be like

1981 President Hinckley: "Between those facilities which are now available and those which are on the horizon, we shall be able to converse one with another according to the needs and circumstances of the time“

1974 President Kimball: "I believe that the Lord is anxious to put into our hands inventions of which we laymen have hardly had a glimpse."

1966 President McKay: "Discoveries latent with such potent power, either for the blessing or the destruction of human beings, as to make man’s responsibility in controlling them the most gigantic ever placed in human hands. … This age is fraught with limitless perils, as well as untold possibilities”

1862 Brigham Young "Every discovery in science and art, that is really true and useful to mankind has been given by direct revelation from God, though but few acknowledge it. It has been given with a view to prepare the way for the ultimate triumph of truth, and the redemption of the earth from the power of sin and Satan. We should take advantage of all these great discoveries

And I think these days, pretty much all our church leaders be like

"we invite the young and the old, the adults, the young adults, the youth, and the children everywhere to join with us in this exciting new work by becoming Facebook friends with the missionaries in your area on your own computers and sharing their gospel messages online"
- L. Tom Perry, 2013

“All of these advancements are part of the Lord hastening His work in the latter days.  I believe the time has come for us as disciples of Christ to use these inspired tools appropriately and more effectively to testify ... and to accomplish the Lord’s work.”
"I believe the time has come for us as disciples of Christ to use these inspired tools appropriately and more effectively to testify of God the Eternal Father, His plan of happiness for His children, and His Son, Jesus Christ, as the Savior of the world; to proclaim the reality of the Restoration of the gospel in the latter days; and to accomplish the Lord’s work."
- Elder Bednar, 2014

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Can you link to the talk?

And does he say the technology advancement was for the "advancement of the gospel of Jesus Christ" or for the "mormon church"?  Because the former is what I've been taught and heard.  The later not so much.

31 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

If so, do we let other people/religions use them because they're also children of God?

God is the one that is blessing us with the technology advancements and He lets everyone use them because they are His children.  The technology advancement helps His gospel to be spread around the world and for all to hear of it.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Yay - time to break out my old Elders Quorum presentation on Social Media!  On one hand, church leaders be like

And on the other hand, they be like

And I think these days, pretty much all our church leaders be like

Opposition in all things.  There is no sweet without the bitter in equal measure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
24 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Don't you have a button on your head you can press to let you know when someone else is using a sense of humor?  You can consider that a rhetorical question.

But, anywho, yes, it is all for us.  ALL of the good things on this planet are for the "more good" people, aka the Mormons.  Computers, planes, automobiles, bicycles, cell phones... whatever anyone has been able to think of by first getting a good idea.

The concept aligns perfectly with the concept that ALL good things are of God and will lead us/everyone to Jesus Christ and all of the many good things we can have as disciples of Jesus Christ.  And the more good we are the more good things we will get!

51 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

I don't think we let anyone use anything. They're not "mormon" inventions or the church's property, so the church has no say in whether or how they're used. I think the point is that scientific discoveries come through God's help, and that He's providing more of that help to accelerate his work in the latter days.

The lack of scientific progress in the thousands of years prior to now makes a little more sense in this context. Homo Sapiens 10,000 years ago was arguably just as intelligent (although uneducated) as we are today, but they missed key discoveries like electricity for thousands of years. So what's changed in the last couple hundred years?

• Upvote 4

" The rain falls on the just and the unjust "

I have read about inventors that they admit that the ideas just came to them like a light in their minds. Of course, they had ' a prepared mind' . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Everyone should read "The Grand Design, America from Columbus to Zion" by E. Douglas Clark.  In addition to what is discussed in this book, we should acknowledge the hand of God in many important events throughout history, such as the flowering of Greek, Roman, European civilizations.

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, webbles said:

Can you link to the talk?

And does he say the technology advancement was for the "advancement of the gospel of Jesus Christ" or for the "mormon church"?  Because the former is what I've been taught and heard.  The later not so much.

God is the one that is blessing us with the technology advancements and He lets everyone use them because they are His children.  The technology advancement helps His gospel to be spread around the world and for all to hear of it.

Sorry woebbles, I cant figure out how to link a you tube video from my phone.  But start watching at 43:20 if your interested. Before my next thread I promise to learn how to directly link.

20210121_133700.jpg

57 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Don't you have a button on your head you can press to let you know when someone else is using a sense of humor?  You can consider that a rhetorical question.

But, anywho, yes, it is all for us.  ALL of the good things on this planet are for the "more good" people, aka the Mormons.  Computers, planes, automobiles, bicycles, cell phones... whatever anyone has been able to think of by first getting a good idea.

The concept aligns perfectly with the concept that ALL good things are of God and will lead us/everyone to Jesus Christ and all of the many good things we can have as disciples of Jesus Christ.  And the more good we are the more good things we will get!

Hi ahab, nice talking to you again,  love ya buddy!!!!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, longview said:

Everyone should read "The Grand Design, America from Columbus to Zion" by E. Douglas Clark.  In addition to what is discussed in this book, we should acknowledge the hand of God in many important events throughout history, such as the flowering of Greek, Roman, European civilizations.

Thanks longview, this kinda information is what I'm looking for

59 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

I have read about inventors that they admit that the ideas just came to them like a light in their minds. Of course, they had ' a prepared mind' . 

AKA the Light of Christ.

34 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

cant figure out how to link a you tube video from my phon

“Share” should give you a link to post.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Same here.  Plus don’t think such talks ever registered for me as ‘property of church members’ as opposed to something that changes the whole world and opens up new possibilities, which we can take advantage of to spread the Gospel, live it better. 

Yes, and we all are of the genus and species of gods, and coeternal with God -- having that unique capacity to invent things and make discoveries.  This applies whether we are considering making simple stone tools in the paleolithic era, or inventing solid state electronics in a more modern era (Mormons invented the transistor, among other things).

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

These are developments of research in these latter days and affect everyone on the planet, that is true.  And all can be used to advance the cause of Jesus Christ, or to advance the cause of Karl Marx or Adolf Hitler.  Technology itself is neutral.  It is the application which is of the utmost importance.  Free agency is at play.

Apostle Russell Ballard compared the Book of Mormon Liahona to his personal digital GPS device (“That the Lost May be Found.” Ensign, May 2012, online at https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/that-the-lost-may-be-found?lang=eng ).  We can certainly extend that to seerstones, Urim & Thummim, and the like.  Nothing prevents God from inserting high tech into the game, when it suits him.  It is never magic or supernatural, but only high technology.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, and we all are of the genus and species of gods, and coeternal with God -- having that unique capacity to invent things and make discoveries.  This applies whether we are considering making simple stone tools in the paleolithic era, or inventing solid state electronics in a more modern era (Mormons invented the transistor, among other things).

I looked up information about the transistor Robert, I never knew a mormon, Philo Farnsworth, invented the TV. 

Edited by AtlanticMike
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

“In the 19th century, a vision of Ouroboros gave the German chemist Friedrich August Kekule von Stradonitz the idea of linked carbon atoms forming the benzene ring.”  Encyclopaedia Britannica, 15th ed., 9:13.

Other discoveries are accidental, as with Penicillin.

"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal, but the mormon John Browning keeps men free" 

I think that's how it goes😁. I love my 1911s.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

I looked up information about the transistor Robert, I never new a mormon, Philo Farnsworth, invented the TV. 

His granddaughter was my roommate at BYU.

In mid October 2011, I volunteered for one of our ward's service projects to assist in cleaning the temple.  At the beginning of those assignments we met with the regular temple workers for an opening prayer and a spiritual thought before being given our individual cleaning tasks.  I thought the spiritual thought was unusual and interesting that night, because Steve Jobs had died earlier in the same week of my assignment, and the temple worker used Steve Jobs as his spiritual thought.  The temple worker talked about all the inventions that came about through Steve Jobs' involvement that have permitted huge advancements in temple and family history work.  It was an awesome spiritual thought, and one that I could easily connect with because I've been involved with Apple products since the beginning (starting with me in 1978). 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

I looked up information about the transistor Robert, I never new a mormon, Philo Farnsworth, invented the TV. 

LDS inventors of note:

Harvey Fletcher - inventor of the hearing aid, stereophonic sound, the audiometer, and more than 20 other inventions -- including work on the transistor radio (he supervised the development of the transistor-Treaster at Bell Labs).
William Clayton - inventor of the odometer (Roadometer).
Jonathan Browning - revolutionary gunsmith; inventor of the repeating rifle.
John Moses Browning - greatest gunsmith in history; inventor of the automatic shotgun and many infantry small arms and machine guns.
Lester Wire - inventor of the electric traffic light.
Alvino Rey (Alvin McBurney) - inventor of the electric guitar.
Thomas Stockham - father of digital sound recording (CDs, DVDs).
Paul Boyer - received Nobel Prize for describing the mechanism of ATP synthesis.

Alan Ashton - co-inventor of modern word processing software WordPerfect (later a temple president).
Nolan Bushnell - Father of Video Games; inventor of "Pong".

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • Upvote 2