Seriously No Politics ×

Mormons, planes and cell phones.

24 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal, but the mormon John Browning keeps men free" 

I think that's how it goes😁. I love my 1911s.

There is a Browning Museum in Ogden, Utah.  His old firing range is right next to the Federal Courthouse, and you can still see streaks of carbon on the brick walls.  My sidearm was an M 1911A1 when I was in the USMC.

5 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

During a January 2020 talk in Lima Peru, Elder Holland explained to a mormon audience, that technological  advancements in the past 100 years have been for the advancement of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He said that computers were invented for the furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that we let other people use them, but they are for us. He also explained that planes are for mormons, so we can spread the gospel. Also, cell phones are for us, and basically anything in the fields of transportation, communication and science are all the result of the latter day blessings. 

Do other Prophets or Apostles teach that all the important world developments are for the mormon church, the gospel? If so, do we let other people/religions use them because they're also children of God? Thank you.

I think he is saying that the Lord intends that all human advancements contribute to the building up of the kingdom, and so as saints it behooves us to do that, from discovering and inventing to coopting and altering them for the Lord's purposes.

6 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I think he is saying that the Lord intends that all human advancements contribute to the building up of the kingdom, and so as saints it behooves us to do that, from discovering and inventing to coopting and altering them for the Lord's purposes.

when we see our Lord's purposes as our own purposes and the best purposes we can ever possibly have then we are really having some really good fun.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Harvey Fletcher - inventor of the hearing aid, stereophonic sound, the audiometer, and more than 20 other inventions -- including work on the transistor radio (he supervised the development of the transistor-Treaster at Bell Labs).

And discovered the weight of the electron.

I took calculus from his son, Harvey J Fletcher, when I was at BYU. 

4 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

I believe Uchtdorf that called his phone a seer stone too.

Yes, we might define a seerstone as a crystalline virtual-state transducer with a light-emitting diode (LED) display, i.e., a solid-state semi-conductor which emits visible electromagnetic radiation in response to stimulating voltage. Indeed, the Nephite “Interpreters” are originally two stones molten from rock (Ether 3:1-6,22-24,28, 4:5), so that it might be well to note the recent development of solid state batteries, using solid glass electrolytes: 

5 hours ago, InCognitus said:

In mid October 2011, I volunteered for one of our ward's service projects to assist in cleaning the temple.  At the beginning of those assignments we met with the regular temple workers for an opening prayer and a spiritual thought before being given our individual cleaning tasks.  I thought the spiritual thought was unusual and interesting that night, because Steve Jobs had died earlier in the same week of my assignment, and the temple worker used Steve Jobs as his spiritual thought.  The temple worker talked about all the inventions that came about through Steve Jobs' involvement that have permitted huge advancements in temple and family history work.  It was an awesome spiritual thought, and one that I could easily connect with because I've been involved with Apple products since the beginning (starting with me in 1978). 

Ironically, Jobs was an atheist. 

On 1/21/2021 at 8:19 PM, mrmarklin said:

Ironically, Jobs was an atheist. 

Yes.

And (even more ironically) his last words (reportedly: I don't have a source and wouldn't be able to gauge its veracity if I did), were, "Oh, God.  Oh, God.  Oh, God."

Who knows?  Perhaps God's first words to Steve as Steve entered the postmortal life were, "Oh, Steve!  Oh, Steve, Oh, Steve!" ;):D   Sorry!  :huh:  :unknw:  Couldn't resist!  Carry on!

;):D

Edited by Kenngo1969
On 1/21/2021 at 12:11 PM, AtlanticMike said:

During a January 2020 talk in Lima Peru, Elder Holland explained to a mormon audience, that technological  advancements in the past 100 years have been for the advancement of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He said that computers were invented for the furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that we let other people use them, but they are for us. He also explained that planes are for mormons, so we can spread the gospel. Also, cell phones are for us, and basically anything in the fields of transportation, communication and science are all the result of the latter day blessings. 

Do other Prophets or Apostles teach that all the important world developments are for the mormon church, the gospel? If so, do we let other people/religions use them because they're also children of God? Thank you.

Honesty this is the epitome of arrogance and hubris.  All advancements are just for the LDS Church and if it helps the rest of humanity well terrific.  What nonsense. In fact the advancement of computers, the internet and smart phones has been extremely harmful to the LDS Church and has crated the highest level of disaffections than ever before for the church. Add this has forced the church to make changes and start to be honest about its history in ways it never has been before.  But hey it is probably just Satan using this God given tech to bless the church to destroy the church right?  If so the devil is winning. 😏

On 1/22/2021 at 6:24 AM, strappinglad said:

If his last words are correctly given, he may have been on the road to a change of mind. 

Every knee shall bow...

45 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

I read it was " Oh wow  Oh wow " . Slightly more open to interpretation . 

Dang! :(  Now that I think about it, you're right.  I stand corrected.  i liked my version better, though, since God could say, "Oh, Steve, oh, Steve, oh, Steve!"

Oh, well! :huh::unknw:

On 1/21/2021 at 6:08 PM, rchorse said:

I don't think we let anyone use anything. They're not "mormon" inventions or the church's property, so the church has no say in whether or how they're used. I think the point is that scientific discoveries come through God's help, and that He's providing more of that help to accelerate his work in the latter days.

The lack of scientific progress in the thousands of years prior to now makes a little more sense in this context. Homo Sapiens 10,000 years ago was arguably just as intelligent (although uneducated) as we are today, but they missed key discoveries like electricity for thousands of years. So what's changed in the last couple hundred years?

Well, television was invented by a Mormon, dontcha know?  Philo Farnsworth

On 1/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, Teancum said:

Honesty this is the epitome of arrogance and hubris.  All advancements are just for the LDS Church and if it helps the rest of humanity well terrific.  What nonsense. In fact the advancement of computers, the internet and smart phones has been extremely harmful to the LDS Church and has crated the highest level of disaffections than ever before for the church. Add this has forced the church to make changes and start to be honest about its history in ways it never has been before.  But hey it is probably just Satan using this God given tech to bless the church to destroy the church right?  If so the devil is winning. 😏

He usually is. Am I supposed to be surprised?

On 1/21/2021 at 1:35 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

There is a Browning Museum in Ogden, Utah.  His old firing range is right next to the Federal Courthouse, and you can still see streaks of carbon on the brick walls.  My sidearm was an M 1911A1 when I was in the USMC.

I've always wondered what "1911" means.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:57 AM, Teancum said:

You don't seem to understand the game plan.  The whole point of all this is to separate the wheat from the tares, so to speak.  So the more that can be done to help distinguish the wheat from the tares, the better to arrive at that point.

Testing.

Testing.

On 1/28/2021 at 11:57 AM, Teancum said:

Honesty [sic] this is the epitome of arrogance and hubris.  ...

C'mon, sing it with me now!!!!!!

Hoooooooooooooooooonesty!  Is suuuuuuuuch a lonely word! B:)

Edited by Kenngo1969
21 hours ago, Ahab said:

You don't seem to understand the game plan.  The whole point of all this is to separate the wheat from the tares, so to speak.  So the more that can be done to help distinguish the wheat from the tares, the better to arrive at that point.

Testing.

Testing.

YE I know this story.  It is rubbish.

46 minutes ago, Teancum said:

YE I know this story.  It is rubbish.

Fortunately for me I have already learned that anything anyone says is prefaced with (whatever I say is my opinion:) and I value our Father's opinion more than anyone else's opinion.

Nice to hear from you again, Teancum.  You add some spice to life on this forum.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:02 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, we might define a seerstone as a crystalline virtual-state transducer with a light-emitting diode (LED) display, i.e., a solid-state semi-conductor which emits visible electromagnetic radiation in response to stimulating voltage. Indeed, the Nephite “Interpreters” are originally two stones molten from rock (Ether 3:1-6,22-24,28, 4:5), so that it might be well to note the recent development of solid state batteries, using solid glass electrolytes: 

No no no!

You are simply NOT allowed to know about that stuff TOO including your knowledge of everything else in the world in that mind of yours.

Cheesh.

At least leave a bit of SOMETHING for us dummies to call our own! ;)

You are simply gobbling up too much knowledge, for yourself, we need more equality around here!

Edited by mfbukowski