Jump to content

Spotting a Mormon


Recommended Posts

Last year while surfing YouTube, I came across a couple channels and right away I knew the guys were Mormonūü§£. And not because of garment outlines or¬†layered clothing, it was their presence, I guess you could say they have a certain aura. I mean within the first second of seeing them, I just knew.¬†

¬† ¬†And in my experience, it's not just mormons that recognize mormons. I dont dress like a mormon at all, and atleast once a year while meeting with a homeowner about a roof, they'll stop me in mid sentence and ask if I'm a mormon, it cracks me upūü§£. I'll start laughing and ask what gave it away, and the number one answer is " your confidence ". Sometimes they'll say it's my facial expressions, how and when I smile, or, that I smile alot.

     Last example. A couple of years ago while on vacation we had to have our rental car towed. Before the tow truck driver got out of the truck, looking through the windshield, I could tell he was mormon. Sure enough, he was. Do you guys experience this? If so, what are we seeing?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
7 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

     Last example. A couple of years ago while on vacation we had to have our rental car towed. Before the tow truck driver got out of the truck, looking through the windshield, I could tell he was mormon. Sure enough, he was. Do you guys experience this? If so, what are we seeing?

The countenance?

Genesis 4:5. But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
1 Samuel 1:18. And she said, Let thine handmaid find grace in thy sight. So the woman went her way, and did eat, and her countenance was no more sad.
Psalms 21:6. For thou hast made him most blessed for ever: thou hast made him exceeding glad with thy countenance.
Psalms 42:11. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
Proverbs 27:17. Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
Isaiah 3:9. The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.
Daniel 1:13. Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king’s meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
2 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

Last year while surfing YouTube, I came across a couple channels and right away I knew the guys were Mormonūü§£. And not because of garment outlines or¬†layered clothing, it was their presence, I guess you could say they have a certain aura. I mean within the first second of seeing them, I just knew.¬†

¬† ¬†And in my experience, it's not just mormons that recognize mormons. I dont dress like a mormon at all, and atleast once a year while meeting with a homeowner about a roof, they'll stop me in mid sentence and ask if I'm a mormon, it cracks me upūü§£. I'll start laughing and ask what gave it away, and the number one answer is " your confidence ". Sometimes they'll say it's my facial expressions, how and when I smile, or, that I smile alot.

     Last example. A couple of years ago while on vacation we had to have our rental car towed. Before the tow truck driver got out of the truck, looking through the windshield, I could tell he was mormon. Sure enough, he was. Do you guys experience this? If so, what are we seeing?

I get asked that occasionally.  I'm not Mormon, mom went to BYUH since she's a local from Hawaii and had a good deal.  The rest are some form of Christian now, Grandma was Catholic.  Fathers side is a mess, he was a psychotic drunk who hated my guts.  Needless to say most of his side is going down the drain.  Moms side?  Different story.  My cousins take responsibility for their household, they monitor what their kids watch, no social media etc.  Then again, they're locals (look nothing like me) and the entitlement I see from people here doesn't fly.  Most Latter Day saints I've known were healthy, thinner, usually drug free (alcohol is a drug....) and were usually into sports, the outdoors and wholesome things in general, I'm pretty much the same way.  My brothers rarely if ever drink, oldest brothers wife is Asian so we all pretty much mesh with moms side quite well.  Point i'm getting at, most LDS i've known had that in common, the values.  I think it's not so much the LDS had whatever counts as the truth, I think it 's more so you guys know what it's like to be marginalized by "Christian" society here.  My fathers side are Christians of convenience, racism included.  They blame other religions, others of different values, orientations etc for the loss of their own WASP privilege and never take a good long hard look in the mirror.  I look at Latter day saints?  Only other people I know of who come close to the charity and love of hard work you guys believe in here are some Catholics.  Far as I can tell, it's just such a rarity here anymore.  Point is, you probably put off that wholesome vibe that's hard to find.  That and i'm going to assume like a lot of people here you believe in fairness, that's not really a thing anymore with a lot of people. 

Just some food for thought, I never liked how Mormons here would say they're Christian.  Not disagreeing, you're Christian as far as I'm concerned.  Thing is, for a while now Christians here have not done themselves any favors and have made a lot of people here hate  each other.  I went through this as a kid as did friends, once they became poor, parents divorced etc. the whole congregation turned their backs on them.  It's been that way for decades now.  You have more than a few people like me who grew up with that resentment, big suprise so many people are enemies of the Christian religion at the polls.  You guys on the other hand, your kids spend up to 2 years, spending your hard earned money serving people.  That kind of charity is more or less gone from most Christian denominations now.  That being said, why would you want to call yourselves Christians and be associated with the likes of them?  You're so much better than they are, be proud of it.  Latter Day Saints has such a nice ring to it I think.

Edited by poptart
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
41 minutes ago, poptart said:

I get asked that occasionally.  I'm not Mormon, mom went to BYUH since she's a local from Hawaii and had a good deal.  The rest are some form of Christian now, Grandma was Catholic.  Fathers side is a mess, he was a psychotic drunk who hated my guts.  Needless to say most of his side is going down the drain.  Moms side?  Different story.  My cousins take responsibility for their household, they monitor what their kids watch, no social media etc.  Then again, they're locals (look nothing like me) and the entitlement I see from people here doesn't fly.  Most Latter Day saints I've known were healthy, thinner, usually drug free (alcohol is a drug....) and were usually into sports, the outdoors and wholesome things in general, I'm pretty much the same way.  My brothers rarely if ever drink, oldest brothers wife is Asian so we all pretty much mesh with moms side quite well.  Point i'm getting at, most LDS i've known had that in common, the values.  I think it's not so much the LDS had whatever counts as the truth, I think it 's more so you guys know what it's like to be marginalized by "Christian" society here.  My fathers side are Christians of convenience, racism included.  They blame other religions, others of different values, orientations etc for the loss of their own WASP privilege and never take a good long hard look in the mirror.  I look at Latter day saints?  Only other people I know of who come close to the charity and love of hard work you guys believe in here are some Catholics.  Far as I can tell, it's just such a rarity here anymore.  Point is, you probably put off that wholesome vibe that's hard to find.  That and i'm going to assume like a lot of people here you believe in fairness, that's not really a thing anymore with a lot of people. 

Just some food for thought, I never liked how Mormons here would say they're Christian.  Not disagreeing, you're Christian as far as I'm concerned.  Thing is, for a while now Christians here have not done themselves any favors and have made a lot of people here hate  each other.  I went through this as a kid as did friends, once they became poor, parents divorced etc. the whole congregation turned their backs on them.  It's been that way for decades now.  You have more than a few people like me who grew up with that resentment, big suprise so many people are enemies of the Christian religion at the polls.  You guys on the other hand, your kids spend up to 2 years, spending your hard earned money serving people.  That kind of charity is more or less gone from most Christian denominations now.  That being said, why would you want to call yourselves Christians and be associated with the likes of them?  You're so much better than they are, be proud of it.  Latter Day Saints has such a nice ring to it I think.

There was a time where LDS or Mormons, didn't want anything to do with "Christians". I agree, we need to own our uniqueness! I think we're more of a Universalist religion, in fact Joseph's grand father was one and I believe he held many of their beliefs thank goodness. 

I sure am shocked at how some Christians are behaving currently, and I cannot subscribe to their kind of Christianity. 

Also, to add something about the countenance or how one can tell someone is Mormon, I think it's most likely because of the WoW, or their diet of no drinking, smoking, even tea and coffee, might affect skin or teeth, for instance, or alcohol can cause a different pallor. 

Link to post
37 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

There was a time where LDS or Mormons, didn't want anything to do with "Christians". I agree, we need to own our uniqueness! I think we're more of a Universalist religion, in fact Joseph's grand father was one and I believe he held many of their beliefs thank goodness. 

I sure am shocked at how some Christians are behaving currently, and I cannot subscribe to their kind of Christianity. 

Also, to add something about the countenance or how one can tell someone is Mormon, I think it's most likely because of the WoW, or their diet of no drinking, smoking, even tea and coffee, might affect skin or teeth, for instance, or alcohol can cause a different pallor. 

Depends, Trinitarians here still make a big deal about it.  Leadership here talks about it but the rank and file are all about themselves being right and everyone else being wrong.  I've mentioned this before, blows my mind how the president of your Church went to Rome to make friends with the Pope while people here are at each others throats.  I know some folks don't like him, I'm a Pope Francis fan.  Also, your church works with Catholic Charities and other orgs here like the Salvation Army, Christiandom here should be ashamed. 

I think if Christ was to walk into your average WASP church they'd call the cops and accuse him of vagrancy. 

Alcohol does more than that, it also knocks off body odor, the eyes, lots of things.  Also it does affect diet.  Alcoholism is a really bad thing now, that and opiates.  To add even more to Mormons, you guys are willing to be nice to those outside your faith.  I know people ridicule Latter day Saints of just cutting people off if/when they don't convert or aren't LDS, everyone does it not just you.  No one ever bothers to read up on just how much your faith keeps you busy, how everyone you know is involved in church life etc.  I bet that's driven some of you in Utah up the wall, some transplant moves in and has no respect for you, your beliefs nor way of life that you, your family and community has known for generations. 

 

Joseph's grandfather was a Universalist?  That's interesting. 

Edited by poptart
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Seagulls can spot a Mormon... but they don't discriminate.

I've been spotted by seagulls a couple of times. It's not fun, especially if you dont have an extra shirt on hand.

Edited by AtlanticMike
Link to post
3 hours ago, longview said:

The countenance?

Genesis 4:5. But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
1 Samuel 1:18. And she said, Let thine handmaid find grace in thy sight. So the woman went her way, and did eat, and her countenance was no more sad.
Psalms 21:6. For thou hast made him most blessed for ever: thou hast made him exceeding glad with thy countenance.
Psalms 42:11. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
Proverbs 27:17. Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
Isaiah 3:9. The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.
Daniel 1:13. Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king’s meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.

Thank you, definitely makes sense. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, poptart said:

Depends, Trinitarians here still make a big deal about it.  Leadership here talks about it but the rank and file are all about themselves being right and everyone else being wrong.  I've mentioned this before, blows my mind how the president of your Church went to Rome to make friends with the Pope while people here are at each others throats.  I know some folks don't like him, I'm a Pope Francis fan.  Also, your church works with Catholic Charities and other orgs here like the Salvation Army, Christiandom here should be ashamed. 

I think if Christ was to walk into your average WASP church they'd call the cops and accuse him of vagrancy. 

Alcohol does more than that, it also knocks off body odor, the eyes, lots of things.  Also it does affect diet.  Alcoholism is a really bad thing now, that and opiates.  To add even more to Mormons, you guys are willing to be nice to those outside your faith.  I know people ridicule Latter day Saints of just cutting people off if/when they don't convert or aren't LDS, everyone does it not just you.  No one ever bothers to read up on just how much your faith keeps you busy, how everyone you know is involved in church life etc.  I bet that's driven some of you in Utah up the wall, some transplant moves in and has no respect for you, your beliefs nor way of life that you, your family and community has known for generations. 

 

Joseph's grandfather was a Universalist?  That's interesting. 

Here's an excerpt from wiki about him, I think you'll like it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Joseph_Smith#:~:text=Joseph Smith's ancestors had an,Universalist who opposed evangelical religion.&text=would later accept the "pure,to Lucy%2C Joseph Smith Sr.

"Joseph Smith's ancestors had an eclectic variety of religious views and affiliations.[29] For instance, Joseph Smith's paternal grandfather, Asael, was a Universalist who opposed evangelical religion. According to Lucy Smith, Asael once came to Joseph Smith Sr.'s door after he had attended a Methodist meeting with Lucy and "threw Tom Paine's Age of Reason into the the [sic?] house and angrily bade him read that until he believed it."[30] Conversely, in 1811 Smith's maternal grandfather, Solomon Mack, self-published a book describing a series of heavenly visions and voices he said had led to his conversion to Christianity at the age of seventy-six.[31]"

Link to post
3 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

Thank you, definitely makes sense. 

There was actually a study done on this a number of years ago, iirc. Maybe when Romney was running and it was the ‚ÄúMormon moment‚ÄĚ. ¬†Will try and find it.

added:  Wow...that was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

 

https://universe.byu.edu/2015/04/28/skin-texture-glow-distinguishes-mormons-from-others/

 

http://tuftsjournal.tufts.edu/archives/1627/spotting-the-faithful


https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2998417/

 

PS:  not saying this is the sole reason, especially since they only used pictures of faces which is only a part of how we communicate with each other.

Edited by Calm
Link to post

When i was going on my mission I was at the Chicago Airport. I spotted another young guy, suit, bags family seeing him off-the whole thing. I figured he was also going on a mission. Turns he wasn't...he was going into FBI training.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
22 minutes ago, Duncan said:

When i was going on my mission I was at the Chicago Airport. I spotted another young guy, suit, bags family seeing him off-the whole thing. I figured he was also going on a mission. Turns he wasn't...he was going into FBI training.

Sometimes when your in a building such as an airport, your modar (mormon radar) doesn't work if it's not tuned correctly. I suggest starting outside so you can recieve a clear signal, then once you get the hang of it, move insideūü§£ūü§£

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
13 hours ago, Calm said:

There was actually a study done on this a number of years ago, iirc. Maybe when Romney was running and it was the ‚ÄúMormon moment‚ÄĚ. ¬†Will try and find it.

added:  Wow...that was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

 

https://universe.byu.edu/2015/04/28/skin-texture-glow-distinguishes-mormons-from-others/

 

http://tuftsjournal.tufts.edu/archives/1627/spotting-the-faithful


https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2998417/

 

PS:  not saying this is the sole reason, especially since they only used pictures of faces which is only a part of how we communicate with each other.

Very interesting calm. I read them, makes sense. If you want to see what I talking about, go check out the YouTube channel, Jerryrigseverthing, as soon as I saw that guy, I said, yep, definitely a mormon. 

Edited by AtlanticMike
Link to post
4 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

Very interesting calm. I read them, makes sense. If you want to see what I talking about, go check out the YouTube channel, Jerryrigseverthing, as soon as I saw that guy, I said, yep, definitely a mormon. 

Side note! My dad who passed away, is named Jerry, and he could have been the man this saying was named after! From turning a former furniture truck into a motor home, to a trailer into a cabin, to whatever thing he could fix to make it affordable and enable him to live his dreams. 

Link to post
17 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Side note! My dad who passed away, is named Jerry, and he could have been the man this saying was named after! From turning a former furniture truck into a motor home, to a trailer into a cabin, to whatever thing he could fix to make it affordable and enable him to live his dreams. 

Tacenda, I think your dad and I would of been good buddies if I could of met him. One of my best purchases ever, is a $300, 16' camper  I bought off of craigslist. It was a total piece of crap, but once I completed the renovation, we now spend 100s of hours in that camper as a family. We drive it up to ocracoke island in the great state of North Carolina and camp for a week a couple times a year. I bought a bus at an auction a couple years ago and had plans to turn it into an RV until I found out how much it cost to insure it, so I sold it, oh well. Your dad Jerry sounds like he was a cool dude. I bet he's renovating something in heaven right now!! 

Link to post
13 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Tacenda, I think your dad and I would of been good buddies if I could of met him. One of my best purchases ever, is a $300, 16' camper  I bought off of craigslist. It was a total piece of crap, but once I completed the renovation, we now spend 100s of hours in that camper as a family. We drive it up to ocracoke island in the great state of North Carolina and camp for a week a couple times a year. I bought a bus at an auction a couple years ago and had plans to turn it into an RV until I found out how much it cost to insure it, so I sold it, oh well. Your dad Jerry sounds like he was a cool dude. I bet he's renovating something in heaven right now!! 

He suffered with extreme pain most his life stemming from a tree fall at 17 that broke his back, so what's my excuse! In his older age he crocheted yard chairs that at one time had latticed plastic, he'd find them in the DI's or dumps/dumpsters. He'd come up with many designs and then donated them to different care centers, family and friends. My mom had early onset Alzheimer's at 62 and he took care of her for many years but she started escaping and didn't know him, so he put her in a Assisted Living with an Alzheimer's unit toward the end of her life. Sadly, he died of a heart attack and she knew he was gone and quit eating and died a month or so later.  BTW, his reading consisted of the classifieds finding his next fishing boat, camper etc. that he could fix up! You would have loved him. He would can his own trout!

Similar to this, but not his.  check these out: crocheted lawn chairs!

Edited by Tacenda
Link to post

In keeping with the opening post:

I think the LDS are very happy people and that shines through, not all of course. But maybe the knowing the plan of salvation is a big factor. Or a plan at all. 

Link to post

"Spotting a Mormon"  ...  I don't know what it is, but it is true... I think it has to do with our positive outlook and our standards, who we are and our potential...  One day I was out and about and went into the local BurgerKing to grab a bite of lunch... as I sat eating, this family (mom/dad/4 children) came and sat at the table next to me... they were neatly dressed in beach clothes... the older kids helped the younger ones get settled while dad went to place the order, and they continued to help distribute the food with a general cooperation among family members.  I watched with interest how they looked as they worked together... and finally leaned over and asked the mother... "Are you LDS?"  She looked surprised and said that they were.  She and I continued talking like we were old friends... and said warm goodbyes when I left... I know people of other faiths also have such families, but I find that people actively living the restored gospel generally have a real glow and cheerfulness about them... 

GG

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
15 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

"Spotting a Mormon"  ...  I don't know what it is, but it is true... I think it has to do with our positive outlook and our standards, who we are and our potential...  One day I was out and about and went into the local BurgerKing to grab a bite of lunch... as I sat eating, this family (mom/dad/4 children) came and sat at the table next to me... they were neatly dressed in beach clothes... the older kids helped the younger ones get settled while dad went to place the order, and they continued to help distribute the food with a general cooperation among family members.  I watched with interest how they looked as they worked together... and finally leaned over and asked the mother... "Are you LDS?"  She looked surprised and said that they were.  She and I continued talking like we were old friends... and said warm goodbyes when I left... I know people of other faiths also have such families, but I find that people actively living the restored gospel generally have a real glow and cheerfulness about them... 

GG

Thank you Garden Girl, I really like what you wrote.

  • Like 1
Link to post

A high percentage of general authorities from Utah say the "h" in "wheat" or "white." While not foolproof (most people don't live in Utah), this can be a telltale sign that someone is LDS. Transplants to Utah don't do this, and I don't think multi-generational non-Mormons do, either. There are other vocal "tells" that I think we might pick up on, consciously or subconsciously. It isn't just looks or "feel."

Link to post

Something kind of related to this thread, how do you think LDS families will start reacting with a lot of non LDS moving into states like Utah and Idaho?  The LDS friends I have tend to be more liberal, those LDS however tend to have varying degrees of conservative member friends and associates.  One friend was honest, his neighbors were ok if they had LDS transplants moving in, hostile if they weren't.  As someone who lives in a state that was swarmed with transplants, once the numbers tip in the other direction, that's not going to end well.  Also, may make enemies as well as motivate the newcomers to vote otherwise.  My hope is the LDS church continues in the direction it has with LGBT rights and inclusion of POC in their leadership.  My friend was telling me the last conference was very much about equality. 

Link to post
6 hours ago, rongo said:

A high percentage of general authorities from Utah say the "h" in "wheat" or "white." While not foolproof (most people don't live in Utah), this can be a telltale sign that someone is LDS. Transplants to Utah don't do this, and I don't think multi-generational non-Mormons do, either. There are other vocal "tells" that I think we might pick up on, consciously or subconsciously. It isn't just looks or "feel."

Hadn‚Äôt noticed it with my daughter in law...now I want to call her up and ask. ¬†Will try it with my husband first, though after 40 years with me, some of his pronunciations have changed as mine have. ¬†And he was never so ‚Äėlocal‚Äô as my dil, possibly because his mom had a strong Australian accent.

Link to post
On 1/16/2021 at 12:51 PM, strappinglad said:

Seagulls can spot a Mormon...

Mine comes from eating wheat. Mask only covers so much.

Link to post

I can't think of a scenario where I'd find a Mormon I didn't already know. The entire region is two stakes and I've been in both. Go outside that and the odds of finding another Saint are pretty dang remote.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...