Seriously No Politics ×

Man dressed as captain moroni at capitol on january 6th, updated: Arrested

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I wondered why too, it appears that Nemesis bumped it up. 

I actually think I forgot that it was locked for politics. I asked to reopen it so that I could update the story.

Anyways, maybe the break was good, and, to all posters:

This is an open request to be careful to leave non-Church-related political topics out of this thread. This is about this particular individual invoking BOM personalities/mythos at the US Capitol on January 6th.

Edited by Meadowchik
15 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

I actually think I forgot that it was locked for politics. I asked to reopen it so that I could update the story.

Anyways, maybe the break was good, and, to all posters:

This is an open request to be careful to leave non-Church-related political topics out of this thread. This is about this particular individual invoking BOM personalities/mythos at the US Capitol on January 6th.

Do you seriously think your “open request” will be complied with? The thread has already resumed its political bent just in the brief time it has been reopened. 

22 hours ago, pogi said:

I listened to the broadcast yesterday.  I appreciated Dr Matt Harris’ insight, and Id love to read his book - The Watchman on the Tower - Ezra Taft Benson and the making of the Mormon right.   
It is not just Ezra Taft Benson that had influence, but it is built into our doctrine with Gadianton robbers and secret combinations.  

Well, since the Book of Mormon is just 19th century American fiction, there were no such people as Gadianton and his robbers.

Edited by Bernard Gui
56 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Well, since the Book of Mormon is just 19th century American fiction, there were no such people as Gadianton and his robbers.

Even if the majority of members believed that, I am sure the passages would still be used as conjecture for last-day conspiracy theories. 

Perhaps the argument would simply morph into - "true, they didn't exist, but the Book of Mormon is a metaphor and warning/prophecy for our day.  The Gadianton robbers/secret combinations were just a symbol for the modern day deep state and Q, along with his presidential partner, is our modern day Captain Moroni."

When people are diligently and vigilantly looking for an enemy to battle and looking for signs of secret combinations, confirmation bias is almost a given.  This is especially true when paranoia creeps in. 

Just to avoid any confusion, this is about end times conspiracy theories, not politics.

Edited by pogi
57 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Yeah. And the World Series is not about baseball. 

Yes, it is...unless you are indirectly accusing me of lying. 

Since when was Q anon part of a political platform?  I always thought it was just a conspiracy theory. 

Oh, the irony (considering your other thread)!

Edited by pogi
5 hours ago, pogi said:

Even if the majority of members believed that, I am sure the passages would still be used as conjecture for last-day conspiracy theories. 

Perhaps the argument would simply morph into - "true, they didn't exist, but the Book of Mormon is a metaphor and warning/prophecy for our day.  The Gadianton robbers/secret combinations were just a symbol for the modern day deep state and Q, along with his presidential partner, is our modern day Captain Moroni."

When people are diligently and vigilantly looking for an enemy to battle and looking for signs of secret combinations, confirmation bias is almost a given.  This is especially true when paranoia creeps in. 

Just to avoid any confusion, this is about end times conspiracy theories, not politics.

One thing about scriptural parables is that they can be weaponized when we only see ourselves in the *good guys.* If we can't examine ourselves as also possibly being the wicked ones or as people allowing wickedness to prevail, the scriptures are lost on us.

13 hours ago, pogi said:

Well, it’s comforting to know that no evils or designs will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
8 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

One thing about scriptural parables is that they can be weaponized when we only see ourselves in the *good guys.* If we can't examine ourselves as also possibly being the wicked ones or as people allowing wickedness to prevail, the scriptures are lost on us.

Which parables might those be in this context?

14 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Well, it’s comforting to know that no evils or designs will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days. 

I don't agree, just be careful about misidentifying:

8 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

I'd say that the humility that makes us reflect and be self-aware helps to create empathy which in turn helps to stave off meritless theories, especially when they demonize whole swaths of people. But that does seem to be what this man at the Capitol did, he assigned these evil labels to one political party and good labels to another and that led to no good.

22 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

That’s another great passage which demonstrated the point of the author.

Edited by pogi
6 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Which parables might those be in this context?

I think the individual who dressed as Captain Moroni was pretty clear in seeing himself as like Moroni, participating in the righteous rescue of American government. His interpretation seemed overly binary and inconsiderate of the righteousness that also exists on the other side of his binary and the evil that is also present on his side of the binary.

12 hours ago, pogi said:

Yes, it is...unless you are indirectly accusing me of lying. 

Since when was Q anon part of a political platform?  I always thought it was just a conspiracy theory. 

Oh, the irony (considering your other thread)!

I don’t follow conspiracy theories as avidly as you apparently do, so I might have misunderstood. But this looked like a jab at President Trump. You may correct me if I’m wrong:

The Gadianton robbers/secret combinations were just a symbol for the modern day deep state and Q, along with his presidential partner, is our modern day Captain Moroni."

Edited by Scott Lloyd
42 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Insinuation that I’m lying is noted and not appreciated. 

I don’t think you are lying. I think you just don’t see it from the viewpoint we are. That is why I used your words to frame it. 

Edited by Calm
9 minutes ago, Calm said:

I don’t think you are lying. I think you just don’t see it from the viewpoint we are. That is why I used your words to frame it. 

I think I can understand your and others’ viewpoint. With the other thread having been so recently closed, you all are still so spun up about immigration policy that you got triggered by my use of an example from that thread to illustrate my point. So spun up that you can’t see past my selection of that example and entertain the thought that I really did intend it just as an illustration of the point I was making and not to incite another political brawl. 

Nehor in particular seems to have trouble getting past this. But as I pointed out to him minutes ago on the other thread, I am the world’s foremost living expert on what my own thoughts, intents and motives are. 

But if you say you don’t think I’m lying, I’ll accept that. 

12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I am the world’s foremost living expert on what my own thoughts, intents and motives are.

And apparently you're a pretty good expert on all the rest of us as well:

You all are still so spun up about immigration policy that you got triggered by my use of an example from that thread to illustrate my point. So spun up that you can’t see past my selection of that example ...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
16 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

And apparently you're a pretty good expert on all the rest of us as well:

:rolleyes:

I don’t claim such expertise.

Calm said I was not seeing it from her and others’ viewpoint. I wanted to show that I was trying to do so. You are, of course, free to correct me if I’m wrong. 

16 hours ago, pogi said:

Last I heard the latest Q date for the inauguration of God-Emperor Trump was August 23rd, I believe. It was either from Q or that crazy pillow salesman who was heavily involved in planning the January 6 coup.

Some history book is going to talk about how the President was involved in a plan with a pillow salesman to topple the US government. Historians 200 years from now will be insisting that this is clearly hyperbole and is probably not accurate. If the people in that future have an archive of this board can I just say:

SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-size_restr

6 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Such snarky dismissiveness is uncharacteristic of you.

No snark, just accuracy. I thought you were open to correction?

I have never even looked at the closed thread, so I'm not 'spun up about immigration policy', and nothing you have written in this one has 'triggered' me.

The irony of your posts has entertained me, certainly!