He was arrested in Provo riot; now, he’s been arrested for storming of the Capitol

15 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The arrest document states Sullivan can be seen inside the Capitol building using a microphone as he told the crowd “we about to burn this s___ down,” “we got to rip Trump out of office... f_______ pull him out of that ****... we ain’t waiting until the next election... we about to go get that m__________.”

While in the Capitol, Sullivan was wearing a ballistics vest and gas mask.

I guess that's one way to suggest an impeachment process.

Edited by CV75
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Did they identify the girl who was with him? Was her name Samantha Darling?

No, he was "Alone Again, Naturally." *Gilbert O'Sullivan)

image.png.b42abe49dc0e1fc4511430952905cb30.png

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I invite anyone to watch the video and decide if I am distorting it.

I consider the BLM movement’s goals to be more important than making people feel comfortable or minor vehicle damage but I am not going to do a lot of pearl-clutching over the protests in general nor do I feel the need to defend every action taken by protesters. I am obviously more sympathetic to the protesters.

“I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.” -MLK

Hiding behind property damage and the inevitable violence that is going to happen in any struggle for equality that requires resorting to civil disobedience is, in essence, saying that you cannot pursue your cause because it might have negative ramifications. It is blaming the victims. A paternalistic chiding that if you would all just calm down and never do anything wrong and we will get to your problems in due time is meaningless because the time may never come. It is also against the American spirit itself. How many Tories in the days leading up to and during the Revolution told everyone to calm down and that one day Britain would stop their excesses if the colonists would just be reasonable and calm down and act politely? Quite a few.

“Stop killing minorities” is not a Marxist agenda or if we have reached the point that that platform is only acceptable to communists than I guess communism is the way.

It is amazing that people that claim to think the Civil Rights movement led to positive change try to shout down other movements with the same flawed accusations used during the Civil Rights movement. Convinced the commies are behind a plea for civil rights and equal protection. What does that say about our society that a plea for those things makes people default to that excuse?

Since this thread is going to burn down soon here is a good article about the Capitol attack and the forces behind it that built to this point.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/01/25/among-the-insurrectionists

God help us all.

Unfortunately it seems the Civil Rights Movement has been misrepresented and demonized by religionists. Ezra Taft Benson's critique painting liberalism as satanic  has shaped LDS thought and continues to do so.

Edited by Meadowchik
2 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

I don't get the point of focusing on this one dude...

I think the point is pretty clear to me:

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Embarrassing the state or embarrassing the progressive movement in the state?

It's a diversion tactic.  We heard it all through the impeachment trial from many reps who tried to divert attention to the left for BLM protests.   As if a fascist insurgency attempting to take over the Capital of the United States to thwart the voice of the people is even comparable. 

Seriously, after all that has happened inside the Capital of the United States, why in blazes are we talking about Provo protests and this little weasel Sullivan?

Why have we been allowed to discuss BLM protests for pages and pages and pages, and as soon as a movement on the right attempts to overthrow the government the thread is shut down?  We can shame a leftist idiot at the capital, but we can't talk about the stain on America which is Trumpism attempting to bring America to it's knees before their king?
Sullivan?  Provo?  That is the subject of debate after all that has happened?

I know that no one here supports what happened at the Capital, but these diversion tactics to embarrass the left and divert attention from the mess that is their own party which is unfortunately in shambles because of Trump is too much.  I am so saddened to see the Republican party so divided over one big looser.  Many probably will not believe me when I say that, but I have historically voted predominantly republican.  Trumpism has unfortunately infected and corrupted a divided party however.  Many prominent republicans now feel safe to agree with me on that.  I suspect more will follow.

I say down with this thread!  If we are going to discuss the events at the Capital, it should be framed in its proper light. 

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

My understanding is that that is not a turn lane

Unless it has changed in the latest redo, it is a turn lane, just not dedicated (you can go forward or turn right).  I am trying to remember if I checked after the shooting...I think I did, but I may have only thought about it.

10 minutes ago, Calm said:

Unless it has changed in the latest redo, it is a turn lane, just not dedicated (you can go forward or turn right).  I am trying to remember if I checked after the shooting...I think I did, but I may have only thought about it.

Has there been a re-do since the events of last June?

2 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

Personally, though I've gained some more info from Calm and nehor on this that I previously had, this thread makes little sense to me. 

It is primarily the Utah connection, IMO.  Makes some of those of us who live here more curious about him than others who have been arrested.  I have been reading local newspapers to some extent and they all are giving more column space to locals involved.

My original curiosity was how much this guy could be tied to BLM given the protests this summer (where I noted BLM had distanced themselves as uninvolved iirc in organizing the Provo protest).  And then it became like watching a train wreck happen.  I figured if he could be tied in any which way, he would be to support the lie that antifa created the violence at the Capitol.  Psychologically I then became interested in how he might justify his behavior which any half idiot would know would damage the cause he claims to support.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Has there been a re-do since the events of last June?

Not that I know of, I just haven’t driven there much since they finished the major overhaul a year or two ago (no sense of time, could be longer, could be shorter).  And I never turn there, but use one or two streets over if I want to get on to Center for some reason.  With my fuzzy memory and lack of need to pay attention to that corner, it could have been a no turn lane for several years without me being aware of it as I drive through the intersection.  I am usually in the left lane as well as I turn left a few intersections past that one typically.  Logistically I would be very, very surprised if they didn’t allow turns, but Utah’s traffic decisions aren’t always logical.

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, Dan McClellan said:

BLM kicked him out long ago because he was always trying to incite violence and always came to everything armed to the gills. He had to start up his own org. 

Please share your source?

1 hour ago, pogi said:

I say down with this thread!  If we are going to discuss the events at the Capital, it should be framed in its proper light. 

This is not, nor was it ever intended to be, a discussion of “the events at the Capitol.” Such a discussion would be highly political and, as I understand it, beyond the scope of what is allowed for discussion on this board. I don’t intend to engage in such a discussion. 

This is, in a sense, a sequel to the thread that was on here last June about a shocking riot and attempted murder that transpired at the very center of downtown Provo, just a short walking distance from the Provo City Center Temple. The thread went on for a dozen or more pages and, by my reckoning, drew a lot of interest. I thought it would not be inappropriate at this juncture to offer some follow-up information. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Calm said:

Not that I know of, I just haven’t driven there much since they finished the major overhaul a year or two ago (no sense of time, could be longer, could be shorter).  Logistically I would be very, very surprised if they didn’t allow turns, but Utah’s traffic decisions aren’t always logical.

My memory, though I haven’t frequented Provo in a long time, is that westbound traffic is allowed to turn right onto University from Center Street. It is, after all, THE prime intersection in Provo, the zero point from which the city blocks are numbered. Like you, I would be very surprised to learn that right turns were not allowed there. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
11 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This is not, nor was it ever intended to be, a discussion of “the events at the Capitol.” Such a discussion would be highly political and, as I understand it, beyond the scope of what is allowed for discussion on this board. I don’t intend to engage in such a discussion. 

This is, in a sense, a sequel to the thread that was on here last June about a shocking riot and attempted murder that transpired at the very center of downtown Provo. The thread went on for a dozen or more pages and, by my reckoning, drew a lot of interest. I thought it would not be inappropriate at this juncture to offer some follow-up information. 

I see, you won’t engage in political threads that are embarrassing to Trump and his followers, but you will engage in political threads that attempt to emberass the left.

As if that last thread about the Provo riots was not political!  There was nothing remotely religious about it.  A news event at best.  Why it (and other BLM threads) lasted while the Capital riot threads are shut down is beyond me!

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, pogi said:

I see, you won’t engage in political threads that are embarrassing to Trump and his followers, but you will engage in political threads that attempt to emberass the left.

As if that last thread about the Provo riots was not political!  There was nothing remotely religious about it.  A news event at best.  Why it (and other BLM threads) lasted while the Capital riot threads are shut down is beyond me!

please stop trying to ruin a discussion. If you don't like the subject, you could always not read the subject.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, pogi said:

Why it (and other BLM threads) lasted while the Capital riot threads are shut down is beyond me!

Could just be dependent on if it got reported and if the mods were around.  A mod might intentionally stop in after hearing about the Capitol riot knowing what to expect, but might not have heard about the Provo protest that quickly.

25 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

about a shocking riot

Calling the Provo protest and incident a riot is ridiculous IMO.  The shooting was shocking, but blocking traffic and even hitting some cars is not a riot.

Edited by Calm
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, provoman said:

please stop trying to ruin a discussion. If you don't like the subject, you could always not read the subject.

If we were allowed to give equal attention to the Capital riots as were given the BLM riots, I would have no problem with this thread being open.  The fact that every Capital riot thread has been shut down while BLM riot threads (which were highly political and non religious) flourished, inspires me to put a stop to the imbalance.  It doesn’t seem right.  As Calm points out, the mods may not be to blame, but still, this is too much!

Edited by pogi
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Dan McClellan said:

BLM kicked him out long ago because he was always trying to incite violence and always came to everything armed to the gills. He had to start up his own org. The progressive movement in Utah has long been disgusted by his idiocy, and now he's embarrassing the state all over again.

1 hour ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Please share your source?

A local Utah group may have possibly said "please don't show up" but who knows. BLM does not seem to be a specific organization with an identifiable leadership. Back in May 2020, at least in Utah, there were two separate groups claiming BLM. One group was seeking joining the "global" organization, another was not. 

So to claim "BLM" kicked him out does really speak to the totality of the situation, nor take into consideration the various BLM groups and lack of an identifiable sole representative leadership of BLM.

From a mirror.co.uk article - I do not make claim to neutrality or bias of mirror - "John Sullivan, one of the BLM organisers,"  this was in July 2020.  Twitter user bgonthescene (who was also part of the group that stormed the capital, though he might have more journalist credibility than Sullivan) has a video of John Sullivan speaking at a rally (I believe BLM rally based on the context unsure of the date) somewhere outside of Utah.

Overall, given that groups can and do claim BLM and not be apart of national or global network of BLM, can someone be kicked out BLM? Alternatively, can a local group claiming BLM, kick someone out their local group; and do the actions of a local group represent the whole of BLM? OR is BLM a belief that needs no centralized leadership structure?  Also, is there a singular "progressive movement" in Utah that can express an opinion representing all progressives in Utah? 

From Rolling Stone mag "Sullivan carried a simple setup: a cellphone mounted on an image-stabilizing gimbal. Fitting into the mob, he says, required mirroring its revolutionary sentiments. “I was worried about people recognizing me and thinking that I was Antifa or, like, BLM or whatever,” he says. “The entire time they’re yelling, ‘***** Antifa! *****, BLM.’ I’m not saying I’m Antifa, by any means. But I definitely believe Black Lives Matter.”"

Edited by provoman
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Calm said:

Calling the Provo protest and incident a riot is ridiculous IMO.  The shooting was shocking, but blocking traffic and even hitting some cars is not a riot.

It’s a question of definitions, I suppose. Anytime a demonstration or protest escalates into unlawful or violent behavior — as this one surely did with the attempted murder, the harassment and intimidation of uninvolved passers-by and the intentional infliction of property damage — it meets the definition in my judgment. 

Added later: I think that I am supported in this by Wikipedia, which gives this definition for riot:

A riot (/ˈrət/) is a form of civil disordercommonly characterized by a group lashing out in a violent public disturbance against authority, property, or people.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
18 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Just to recap, here is last year's incident in Provo:

But look at that face!

He looks like a scared baby! There's got to be more to this........ ?

18 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

On the other hand, however ...

Cheesh! 

19 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I present this as an information item. 

We had a rather extensive thread last summer about the BLM riot in Provo, Utah, in which a motorist was shot point blank for refusing to sit still while mobbers blocked traffic 

Now, a man arrested in connection with the Provo event has been arrested in connection with the storming of the Capitol last week  

Added later: Can’t get the item to paste. It’s from the Epoch Times. I’ll work on it later. 

The man’s name is John Sullivan. 

I tend to believe that John Sullivan's arrest stem not from his presence, at the capital or in the capital. Rather I tend to think his arrest stems from his comments he made at the Capital and his actions.  

I believe that had he not voice statements to foment agitation or statement to encourage the police to not interfer with the storming of the Capital, then I believe that Sullivan could have a strong claim to being a "journalist" (even without specific credentials; though I do respect your many years as a journalist and that you would have a more learned opinion on what it means to be a journalist).  For reference, a twitter user bgonthescene, appears to have "stormed" the capital and posted videos to twitter as the events were unfolding. This same twitter user was at kenosha when multiple people were shot, and I believe his video is the main if only video of the shooting. 

One thing I beleive Sullivan did provide is upclose and personal view of the woman who was killed by capital police while trying to enter a hallway through a barricaded door.

31 minutes ago, Calm said:

My diagnosis is that he is a true believer in whatever it is that he is believing/doing. Of course that doesn't make it right, but from that pic, I think he is showing a martyr-like devotion to what he is doing.