Seriously No Politics ×

Childhood Experience and Religious Affiliation Survey

Ian_Newton

Is this survey academic in nature?  Are you pursuing a Master's or Doctorate?  Are you part of a research team?

7 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Is this survey academic in nature?  Are you pursuing a Master's or Doctorate?  Are you part of a research team?

The survey is not affiliated with a University, nor am I pursuing a Master's or Doctorate. 
Although I am not part of a research team a form of the survey was community-reviewed 
and does have the interest of a PhD and a behavioral psychologist. 

Hi, 

I had heard of the idea popularized by Doctor of Psychology Paul Vic
that atheism was linked to negative relations with one's father. 
But he was criticized for having too small a sample size. 

So I thought I would conduct a survey to see what's true. 
It's good to have a sizeable sample from a variety of 
groups, not only agnostics and atheists but 
Protestants, Catholics, Mormons, Muslims and Wiccans/Pagans as well. 

13 hours ago, Calm said:

Purpose of survey?

Hi Calm, 

I had heard of the idea popularized by Doctor of Psychology Paul Vic
that atheism was linked to negative relations with one's father. 
But he was criticized for having too small a sample size. 

So I thought I would conduct a survey to see what's true. 
It's good to have a sizeable sample from a variety of 
groups, not only agnostics and atheists but 
Protestants, Catholics, Mormons, Muslims and Wiccans/Pagans as well. 

I took the survey.  It's pretty well done, especially since writing surveys is way more difficult than it seems like it should be.  One thing that I did have an issue with though is your designation of father referring to biological father.  My father is not my biological father, for example, but is my adoptive father.  He is the only father that I have ever known though and is no less my father than any biological father would be.

For that reason I answered all questions pertaining to my father, as if they meant him, even though doing so technically went against the directions of the survey, which said I was to answer for my biological father.

13 hours ago, bluebell said:

I took the survey.  It's pretty well done, especially since writing surveys is way more difficult than it seems like it should be.  One thing that I did have an issue with though is your designation of father referring to biological father.  My father is not my biological father, for example, but is my adoptive father.  He is the only father that I have ever known though and is no less my father than any biological father would be.

For that reason I answered all questions pertaining to my father, as if they meant him, even though doing so technically went against the directions of the survey, which said I was to answer for my biological father.

Your issue will be copied down and noted. 

If this survey is not associated with any academic endeavor, what is it associated with? People should know the actual identity of a person/entity conducting any survey before responding. Surveys such as this one have been used for scams, such as installing malware when you click on the link.  

Why haven’t you addressed the issue with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being treated as non-Christian?

Edited by Raingirl
50 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

If this survey is not associated with any academic endeavor, what is it associated with? People should know the actual identity of a person/entity conducting any survey before responding. Surveys such as this one have been used for scams, such as installing malware when you click on the link.  

Why haven’t you addressed the issue with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being treated as non-Christian?

I don’t think it was treated any more non-Christian than the Catholic or Protestant church.  Besides that, with survey monkey (a reputable survey service) once a survey is live you usually can’t change it.