looking for wholesome news sources

34 minutes ago, Calm said:

Just get picky about who you read and unfollow everyone else.  I have a couple of groups I follow with my hobbies and health issues...they don’t get into politics at all, I have several family and friends’ ones that just post uplifting comments about politics if they post at all, and then a couple of political ones that ‘fit’ my approach to keep me clued into stuff I am interested in...but I can skip those often.  I have slowly narrowed down to a tenth of what I had and I don’t feel bad if I decide to unfollow anyone else.

Good advice, I actually unfriended one. And unfollowed another. I probably should have just unfollowed the one, but it was in the heat of the moment. 

33 minutes ago, Calm said:

Just don’t watch them hunting or eating.

That would be cannibalistic! ;) 

17 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Most don't realize how easily they can be tracked. Unless they turned off their phones and removed the batteries or didn't bring their phone they are almost certainly going to get caught. There has been a massive online identification blitz. The people I have worked with are careful. Once we are sure you put it out there and we have already had dozens of people get fired, booted off from community and government positions, and things of that nature. At least six members of state legislatures were there and at least one broke into the Capitol. He was a dummy and was caught on video yelling "[His Name] is in the Capitol!" The fallout broke up at least one polyamorous polycule/family. All the info gets passed on to the FBI. Most of it is a puzzle of matching clothing, hair, etc to try to determine what they did, comparing photos to previous rallies and photo ops, etc.

The first arrests have been done. Most likely the FBI is using standard interrogation techniques which means most of them are going to implicate others as well. That is probably why they referred to a "geometric" increase in their briefing today. They will probably start hitting the no fly lists in the next day or two.

There is also a great deal of caution amongst those who do this. Fingering the wrong person openly is very wrong. The people I work with if they are unsure they pass it on without outing people. There was a mistake with identification in the summer connected to an attack but it was quickly corrected thankfully.

I still wonder if this below "sting" was the FBI or another government agency or just an independent person with a delightfully wicked sense of humor. What he says actually happened (except for the Pokemon and Tough Guy cosplay bit) though it is heightened for comic effect and is a parody. Hearing it dubbed over this is much more entertaining than me explaining it:

We are not dealing with a bunch of budding Moriartys.

In addition Parler was one of the main sites for planning. It got taken down for violating terms of their contract by inciting violence and plotting violence. Before it went down some independent hackers quasilegally pulled a copy of virtually the entire website including all posts. It is in a grey area. Security on the site is so bad that it may not be a crime at all. It is probable that some government agency did too. The funny part is that the site asked for driver's license photos to sign up and the metadata often contains the exact location of the person posting and all this was captured. People have already made density maps of where most of their posters in the US. Competent social media sites get this with the original data but scrub it as they don't want to be responsible for it. The data pull also includes deleted posts because the site just put a delete "tag" on the data instead of wiping it so even if someone thought better of what they posted this will bite them. This is going to be very valuable to the FBI. The site is probably doomed. There aren't that many hosting companies and I doubt anyone will sell to them now. Ironically their best bet going forward may be to try to host it in Russia.

Fun reminder that some of these people are afraid of taking the vaccine because it is purported to have a tracker in it.

The planning has moved to about a dozen different other sites. I also hear there is at least one competently secretive one on the dark web.

The cleanup in the Capitol will take awhile and a lot of electronics will probably have to be replaced or screened for bugs and malware. I admit I was surprised that the Capitol computers don't log off after a period of inactivity so data may have been accessed. There are also rumors of missing files. At least one person stole a mailed letter and the Post Office is reportedly interested in hitting him hard. The Post Office has an enforcement unit and they are arguably better at their job than the FBI. Feces were also smeared in at least one hallway and tramped into the floor. The plan to take members of Congress hostage thankfully failed but the zipties (identifying that guy was actually kind of hard) suggest it was a serious plan to at least some of them. One member of Congress after they had been told by the sergeant-at-arms to not reveal their location tweeted the location of the Speaker. There are talks of expulsion and/or criminal charges there. The Speaker's lectern was also stolen but it is not clear how far the thief got with it. It is likely they have recovered it as the thief was arrested. Someone posted a sales item for it on Ebay but that was probably a joke.

Security is being increased and there are reports to be 15,000 National Guard getting ready for the next few weeks. I thought it was a typo at first and someone put in an extra zero but looks like that is the plan. They are also trying to screen everyone in the new group for radical sympathies and the quest is on to figure out why security was so bad and why the Police in some areas seemed to let them in and pose for selfies with them while others resisted. There are also concerns about how long it took for help to arrive. It looks like a lot of Congress were calling everyone they knew to try to get a hold of someone who could help. Several National Guard units in Maryland were ready to go but it took forever to get an authorization.

This is going to be analyzed over and over again for a long time. It is a trope of schlock B-movies for terrorists to break into Congress or the White House and the writers said the hardest bit was coming up with plausible ways for them to get in and now that seems silly. Security was much better at the BLM protests and even when a group of nuns showed up to protest for the dreamers security was much more extensive. Photos from the Library of Congress Book Fair show they had better security then. It is very odd and several government agencies saw this coming. The FBI sent reports and warnings. About half the internet that was following the situation knew it was a strong possibility. There are going to be a lot of investigations.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7vqew/the-hacker-who-archived-parler-explains-how-she-did-it-and-what-comes-next?fbclid=IwAR2391wtW9mU_Oh0laxlVBKLFB54o2609kAvRkYnGcVr4fSpjvovtggYoKg

18 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Most don't realize how easily they can be tracked. Unless they turned off their phones and removed the batteries or didn't bring their phone they are almost certainly going to get caught. There has been a massive online identification blitz. The people I have worked with are careful. Once we are sure you put it out there and we have already had dozens of people get fired, booted off from community and government positions, and things of that nature. At least six members of state legislatures were there and at least one broke into the Capitol. He was a dummy and was caught on video yelling "[His Name] is in the Capitol!" The fallout broke up at least one polyamorous polycule/family. All the info gets passed on to the FBI. Most of it is a puzzle of matching clothing, hair, etc to try to determine what they did, comparing photos to previous rallies and photo ops, etc.

The first arrests have been done. Most likely the FBI is using standard interrogation techniques which means most of them are going to implicate others as well. That is probably why they referred to a "geometric" increase in their briefing today. They will probably start hitting the no fly lists in the next day or two.

There is also a great deal of caution amongst those who do this. Fingering the wrong person openly is very wrong. The people I work with if they are unsure they pass it on without outing people. There was a mistake with identification in the summer connected to an attack but it was quickly corrected thankfully.

I still wonder if this below "sting" was the FBI or another government agency or just an independent person with a delightfully wicked sense of humor. What he says actually happened (except for the Pokemon and Tough Guy cosplay bit) though it is heightened for comic effect and is a parody. Hearing it dubbed over this is much more entertaining than me explaining it:

We are not dealing with a bunch of budding Moriartys.

In addition Parler was one of the main sites for planning. It got taken down for violating terms of their contract by inciting violence and plotting violence. Before it went down some independent hackers quasilegally pulled a copy of virtually the entire website including all posts. It is in a grey area. Security on the site is so bad that it may not be a crime at all. It is probable that some government agency did too. The funny part is that the site asked for driver's license photos to sign up and the metadata often contains the exact location of the person posting and all this was captured. People have already made density maps of where most of their posters in the US. Competent social media sites get this with the original data but scrub it as they don't want to be responsible for it. The data pull also includes deleted posts because the site just put a delete "tag" on the data instead of wiping it so even if someone thought better of what they posted this will bite them. This is going to be very valuable to the FBI. The site is probably doomed. There aren't that many hosting companies and I doubt anyone will sell to them now. Ironically their best bet going forward may be to try to host it in Russia.

Fun reminder that some of these people are afraid of taking the vaccine because it is purported to have a tracker in it.

The planning has moved to about a dozen different other sites. I also hear there is at least one competently secretive one on the dark web.

The cleanup in the Capitol will take awhile and a lot of electronics will probably have to be replaced or screened for bugs and malware. I admit I was surprised that the Capitol computers don't log off after a period of inactivity so data may have been accessed. There are also rumors of missing files. At least one person stole a mailed letter and the Post Office is reportedly interested in hitting him hard. The Post Office has an enforcement unit and they are arguably better at their job than the FBI. Feces were also smeared in at least one hallway and tramped into the floor. The plan to take members of Congress hostage thankfully failed but the zipties (identifying that guy was actually kind of hard) suggest it was a serious plan to at least some of them. One member of Congress after they had been told by the sergeant-at-arms to not reveal their location tweeted the location of the Speaker. There are talks of expulsion and/or criminal charges there. The Speaker's lectern was also stolen but it is not clear how far the thief got with it. It is likely they have recovered it as the thief was arrested. Someone posted a sales item for it on Ebay but that was probably a joke.

Security is being increased and there are reports to be 15,000 National Guard getting ready for the next few weeks. I thought it was a typo at first and someone put in an extra zero but looks like that is the plan. They are also trying to screen everyone in the new group for radical sympathies and the quest is on to figure out why security was so bad and why the Police in some areas seemed to let them in and pose for selfies with them while others resisted. There are also concerns about how long it took for help to arrive. It looks like a lot of Congress were calling everyone they knew to try to get a hold of someone who could help. Several National Guard units in Maryland were ready to go but it took forever to get an authorization.

This is going to be analyzed over and over again for a long time. It is a trope of schlock B-movies for terrorists to break into Congress or the White House and the writers said the hardest bit was coming up with plausible ways for them to get in and now that seems silly. Security was much better at the BLM protests and even when a group of nuns showed up to protest for the dreamers security was much more extensive. Photos from the Library of Congress Book Fair show they had better security then. It is very odd and several government agencies saw this coming. The FBI sent reports and warnings. About half the internet that was following the situation knew it was a strong possibility. There are going to be a lot of investigations.

Are they putting forth the same effort for the criminals that captured Seattle? Portland?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Are they putting forth the same effort for the criminals that captured Seattle? Portland?

Hunter's laptop remains stashed away in the deep caverns of the FBI (probably the same place where Hillary's bleached disk drive is sitting).

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Do you hunt poptart?

52 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Do you hunt poptart?

A bit as a kid, a lot of my friends do.  Was hoping to do some this year, covid messed everything up and stretched my nursing program out by a year so it'll have to wait along with a lot of other things. 

My bow is collecting dust right now, friend said when I'm ready he'll take me out. 

Yourself?

5 hours ago, poptart said:

Not a fan of hunting?

People hunting people to eat, not particularly. ;)

Just addressing the inappropriateness at times to look at animals and nature as our role models for our interactions with other humans.

Though watching animals stalk and hunt is fascinating. 

Edited by Calm
20 hours ago, poptart said:

I hang out in some of those dark corners too I think.  It's spooky some of the things you see and hear.  

Most of it is lies thankfully.

19 hours ago, Tacenda said:

My own nephew's comment on a post showed up to me on FB where he said there had to be a civil war, there's no other way. Is this the sentiment among these people? I'm not that close with this nephew and haven't seen him in years, he's in CA. But that scared me, I don't have the comment anymore, but he might just be a part of these problems. :(

Also, it sounds like the FBI is going to be in over their heads, I wonder if they take volunteers. 

There are a lot who took it as a kind of precipice moment that would "make or break" everything. Even in the last few days that talk has cooled. Many see the writing on the wall. The danger isn't passed and there are some scary videos calling for some scary things but the tide of public opinion has turned. Most of those involved in the Capitol attack were almost larpers. I think many of them imagined they would charge in, save everything, fly home, and go to work the next day. It is not going to end that way.

The odds of a civil war are very low and if it comes it won't be a clean blues vs. greys with battle lines.

The FBI are fine. It will take time to process everything and it may be months before they get almost everyone and possibly years if some people hide but they are on top of this. It will strain resources elsewhere but they can handle it.

18 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

Tacenda, I hope this will make you feel safer. I'm fairly right wing, but not so much that I would consider  marching to the Capitol to do what these idiots did. But I do interact with some of these people and trust me, there all bark and no bite, for the most part. Your going to have crazies on both sides but there's no way I or any one I know who thinks like me would ever join the people who think a civil war is the only way to solve problems. And I admit they're out there. And despite what you might here on the news, most right wingers like me will accept Joe Biden as president once he's sworn in. I hope he does a fine job even though we dont agree fiscally. This is being blown way out of proportion and your going to have to deal with it for a month or more probably. But it will calm down. Most rednecks like me aren't going to "rise up", that would be stupid on my part. I'm just ball parking a number, but these people who you are worrying about, are probably only 1 to 2% of the Republican party. The other 98% of Republicans like me will beat the **** out of them before they get to you, I promise. 

This too. This is not a 33% of a country out to kill another 33%.

18 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I started to watch awhile back but didn't get far, but will pick it back up and watch! Oh, how I wish we never had FB, Twitter... they're all so far reaching! As much as I enjoy the good, fun, fluffy, flowery posts, I'm about to give them up. :( I appreciate your advice and will try to think positive, thank you! :)

Disconnect if you need a break. The only social media I still check regularly is my family instagram and Whatsapp for updates on what my siblings and cousins are up to. I only use social media outside of that when I am looking for data on things like this. If it gets toxic step back. While this stuff is very important getting endless updates about something you can do virtually nothing about is not ideal.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

No, and there are several reasons and here are a few:

The primary one is the intent and danger. The protesters at BLM were not trying to overthrow the government. They didn't plan to overthrow the government. There was no plan to hate hostages or execute member of Congress or anyone in the government. There was no direct threat to use violence to directly compel political change. That is why the Capitol attack has rightly been labeled as terrorism.

There is also the callous disregard for life shown in everything involved in the Capitol. The attack on the Capitol itself has mostly overshadowed the news that there were also two pipe bombs placed in DC at the RNC and DNC, the National Committee buildings of both major parties. There was also a suspicious truck found with 11 molotov cocktails. The pipe bombs didn't explode but early data suggests they were not just bluffs to distract from the Capitol building and it appears that the truck and the pipe bombs were not related though the two pipe bombs are believed to have come from the same bomb builder. In addition the image of a self-proclaimed "patriot" savagely beating a USCP officer to death with an American flag is also an image that will stick around for a while. The Portland and Seattle (and nationwide) protests were not targeting political figures for death or seeking to directly intimidate politicians to force a change in law. It was to call attention. There were deaths and property damage but that was incidental to the movement itself and against the wishes of most everyone involved. In those who attacked the Capitol the threat to political figures, deaths, and property damage were the point. The people in DC who did not charge the Capitol and stayed outside are unlikely to face anything other than possible social consequences (assuming they weren't conspirators or something like that).

Another difference is that this occurred in DC and was directly targeted at a government building so the FBI is directly involved. There are minimal jurisdictional issues and the FBI has a lot more resources than a normal police department. Even if the FBI wanted to be more involved in Portland (doubt it) they would have faced political resistance from law enforcement and state officials.

It is also much easier to identify the technology used in the Capitol building. I only have a barebones understanding of why so I won't mangle it by trying to explain it and probably getting it wrong but you wouldn't be able to get the same level of data to figure out who was involved in burning down a police precinct building or a Wendy's especially with protesters not involved a few blocks over. The protesters were also much more careful. Many were masked and those involved usually did not post their crimes on social media (there were a few exceptions and at least some of them were arrested). Those who streamed avoided covering criminality and often shot low. You can see this in some of the protests now against political figures who are viewed as complicit in the Capitol attack.

There is also the symbolism involved. You attack the Capitol building and you are desecrating history and the symbols of the nation. You carry a Confederate flag inside and you are proclaiming a victory the Confederacy never got. There has not been a violation of a federal government building in DC this extensive since 1814 when the British burned down the White House. Compared to that protesters burn down a Wendy's and it is likely insured and can easily be rebuilt. Bad but not anywhere near the same level of bad.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, poptart said:

A bit as a kid, a lot of my friends do.  Was hoping to do some this year, covid messed everything up and stretched my nursing program out by a year so it'll have to wait along with a lot of other things. 

My bow is collecting dust right now, friend said when I'm ready he'll take me out. 

Yourself?

Love hunting and fishing. My goal is to retire at 60 and start a coyote/boar removal service, dispatching them with a rifle or shotgun. For fun I hunt coyote for a guy who raises alpacas and had 2 taken down last year by coyotes. Alpacas are expensive.  Also for a dairy farmer who raises goats. Coyotes are getting so bad in my area people are putting out dog food mixed with poison to get rid of them. It drives me crazy because it's a slow and painful death to poison an animal. I harvest one deer a year and alot of squirrels.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:
6 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

No, and there are several reasons and here are a few:

The primary one is the intent and danger. The protesters at BLM were not trying to overthrow the government. They didn't plan to overthrow the government. There was no plan to hate hostages or execute member of Congress or anyone in the government. There was no direct threat to use violence to directly compel political change. That is why the Capitol attack has rightly been labeled as terrorism.

Antifa and marxist bLM were burning businesses (especially small ones).  Their real intent was to overthrow the Silent Majority.  Their objectives were tactically approved of because they want to destroy the middle class (which cannot be explained by marxist dogma).  Portland allowed them to riot for weeks and weeks (they even had their police stand back or soft peddle the "protestors".

There is also the callous disregard for life shown in everything involved in the Capitol. The attack on the Capitol itself has mostly overshadowed the news that there were also two pipe bombs placed in DC at the RNC and DNC, the National Committee buildings of both major parties. There was also a suspicious truck found with 11 molotov cocktails. The pipe bombs didn't explode but early data suggests they were not just bluffs to distract from the Capitol building and it appears that the truck and the pipe bombs were not related though the two pipe bombs are believed to have come from the same bomb builder.

Several people (innocent bystanders) were murdered by the rioters in Portland and Seattle.  One was a black security guard shot to death at a small business (he was a retired police officer).  There was wide spread intimidation at many restaurants with rioters demanding patrons chant communist slogans and forcing them to raise their fists in communist salute.

There are credible reports of a "false flag" operation conducted by stealth antifa agent provocateurs.  They marched thru the crowds chanting that they were going to invade the capitol.  Some real trumpers foolishly tagged along but many trumpers tried to dissade the whole lot.  The antifa agents were recognized by certain Capitol police that were stationed strategically at specified doors and windows.  All that was done to demonize conservatives and to effectively put a quick stop to the debates for the electoral college vote count.

Another difference is that this occurred in DC and was directly targeted at a government building so the FBI is directly involved. There are minimal jurisdictional issues and the FBI has a lot more resources than a normal police department. Even if the FBI wanted to be more involved in Portland (doubt it) they would have faced political resistance from law enforcement and state officials.

The Portland rioters tried several times to torch the federal court house.

There is also the symbolism involved. You attack the Capitol building and you are desecrating history and the symbols of the nation.

So ironic you would say that!  Numerous statues (some of revered founding fathers) were targeted for destruction.

• Upvote 1