Seriously No Politics ×

The Bulwark compares Romney and Lee, and mentions Captain Moroni

Worth some pondering in the aftermath.

https://thebulwark.com/profiles-in-courage-and-cowardice

I've read much on the importance of "speaking the truth to power" and also that in a Democracy, power theoretically comes from the people.  

Nibley's essays on The Rise of Rhetoric and the Decline of Everything Else and The Unsolved Loyalty Problem seem particularly relevant, on the power of rhetoric to create an unreal world, and what happens when loyalty becomes less a matter of principles, but rather, which side you are on.   Maxwell Institute took them offline, in their wisdom.

But there is Alma 46:4-10.  Strange, so utterly strange, ponder that, and then to read that one of the DC rioters was reported to be carrying a Standard of Liberty.

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA

More Mitt Romney's works for me!!!

He has more courage than you can shake a stick at. I was so impressed that he was able to do what he did, by being the only one out of all of them to vote yes to impeach Trump. I wish that had played out.

He is a lot like his father who stuck up for civil rights and walked in the parade. He also fought against Nixon much like Romney did Trump. History repeating itself.

Quote from the website: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/mitt-romneys-father-george-romney-was-a-liberal-2012-8

He charged out of the 1964 Republican National Convention over the party’s foot-dragging on civil rights. He ensured the end of his presidential hopes in 1968 with an honest outburst about Vietnam. And he infuriated Richard Nixon while serving in Nixon’s cabinet, by pushing hard on behalf of racially integrated housing, a cause dear to his heart.

Edited by Tacenda
5 hours ago, Kevin Christensen said:

Worth some pondering in the aftermath.

https://thebulwark.com/profiles-in-courage-and-cowardice

I've read much on the importance of "speaking the truth to power" and also that in a Democracy, power theoretically comes from the people.  

Nibley's essays on The Rise of Rhetoric and the Decline of Everything Else and The Unsolved Loyalty Problem seem particularly relevant, on the power of rhetoric to create an unreal world, and what happens when loyalty becomes less a matter of principles, but rather, which side you are on.   Maxwell Institute took them offline, in their wisdom.

But there is Alma 46:4-10.  Strange, so utterly strange, ponder that, and then to read that one of the DC rioters was reported to be carrying a Standard of Liberty.

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA

Mitt Romney really does have courage. How many active Latter-Day Saints are there who would be willing to buck the Church’s official anti-abortion stance and the Republican Party’s platform to run for the governorship of a major state as a fully pro-choice Republican. It took even more courage for him to turn on a dime 180 degrees a few years later and run for President as a fully committed pro-life Republican. Always have to admire men of solid  principle.

59 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

Mitt Romney really does have courage. How many active Latter-Day Saints are there who would be willing to buck the Church’s official anti-abortion stance and the Republican Party’s platform to run for the governorship of a major state as a fully pro-choice Republican. It took even more courage for him to turn on a dime 180 degrees a few years later and run for President as a fully committed pro-life Republican. Always have to admire men of solid  principle.

I get that pro-life vs pro-choice is a hot button topic, but to judge a person for shifting views on it is pretty harsh. Even the present President of the United States shifted his views on it. He was "very pro-choice" in 1999 and by 2016 he was saying there should be "some form of punishment" for women who seek abortions and the doctors who assist them.

"Well, look, I'm very pro-choice," Trump said when asked if he would ban partial-birth abortions as president. "I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject. But you still – I just believe in choice. And, again, it may be a little bit of a New York background, because there is some different attitude in different parts of the country. And, you know, I was raised in New York, and grew up and work and everything else in New York City. But I am strongly for choice and, yet, I hate the concept of abortion." When asked again if he would ban partial-birth abortions, Trump said, "No. No, I am very pro-choice in every respect and as far as it goes, but I just hate it."  1999 Interview on NBC News' Meet the Press with Donald Trump

You know its OK for people to change their minds about difficult issues, no point in holding it over their heads for decades.

Edited by Rajah Manchou