Jump to content

Shutting Down Again! Are we, or will we, define ourselves differently by the end of this plaque


Recommended Posts

Note: I use the word “fear” in this thread, to express “expectations“, not to imply that I am “afraid”. 

I think we can all agree, this entire year has redefined how we meet together, worship together, and cope with our ever changing environment. Due to health concerns, my wife feels better that we attend our meetings via “ZOOM”. As a result, my New Years resolution last year was to attend every meeting. However, a few health problems that I had early in the year, and then due to the pandemic, I have only attended in person, four or five meetings in 2020. 
 

After much debate, my wife and I had decided that we should attend Sacrament meetings more often, while taking necessary percussions. However, we received notice this week, that our Stake is shutting down, “again”. For now we have a tentative date of return in February, but again it is tentative. I suspect that for a third time, General Conference will be televised only, for this April schedule, which is safe and reasonable. This comes at a time when our Stake had been discussing returning to a, “2 Hour Block”, again. So, instead of a “progression”, we are “digressing”, as it seems it may be a long time before we get back to normal. 
 

In addition to this, the Church has been able to help members weather this pandemic storm, via financial assistance, due to our current economic conditions around the world. In one of our previous General Conference’s, a member of the Presiding Bishopric noted that there is “enough in the storehouse”, because “The Church”, lives by the principals that it teaches. For many over the years, who have expressed feelings that range from, “concern, to upset, to anger”, over “Church Finances”, maybe now they can see the wisdom of it? The Church, “WE”, are able to help one another, in these “Latter-days”as we are most certainly in the Latter-days. In addition, the shorter meeting schedules, also help to provide additional “Millions”, due to monies saved on building maintenance, utilities, etc. In fact, probably, hundreds of millions of dollars, to replenish funds, or help so many others who are in need. 
 

Sorry for such a long thread, but it gives me something to fill my time, and to ask questions of those here filled with “sufficient wisdom”, concerning what our future might look like. 
 

1. Most Churches in my part of the world have one meeting each Sunday, do any here see in these current conditions, might have lasting effects on how we worship in the future? 
 

2. Have any posters here returned to the two hour block to date? 
 

3. Is there any other “Faith”, more wonderfully prepared it’s people to change and adapt so quickly from “week to week”, to worship in the home? 
 

4. Has any other “Worldwide Christian Faith”, ever had the leadership of a “President or Prophet”, with such lines of communication, to able to turn on a dime if and when needed? NOTE: I am reminded that once, the Prophet asked in a letter one Sunday for the Saints to “Fast and Pray”, to raise money for a country, and in that week was able to raise $8,000,000 to help with relief. 
 

5. How many of you have had your “testimonies strengthened“  is the period of such “uncertainty“
 

6. What are the lessons have you learned in this most teachable of times? 
 

Thoughts??? 

This thread is not meant to boast, but to marvel at how my own testimony has grown, as I do love this “FAITH”, and “OUR PEOPLE”. All of this as I look back in the final hours of an remarkable year, a year of both “chaos and peace”! 
 

God bless you all, and Happy New Year!!!   

Link to comment

1. It will probably have lasting effects. I don't know what they will be.

2. None that I know of. There are areas that are in much better shape Covid-wise compared to the US (pretty much everywhere) but some to the point of just stomping out small outbreaks and quarantining and as far as I have heard none have gone back to the two hour block but I don't know about more than a few areas.

3. Maybe the televangelists but I think the quality of the worship is not as high there.

4. There are other faiths that can do it. Comparing the prophet's current abilities to the Pope in the Middle Ages trying to share information is probably unfair.

5. I am honestly spiritually exhausted at the moment and pretty weak but I have seen others improve greatly. I just want this year to end but am slightly terrified 2021 will somehow manage to be worse.

6. I learned a lot about myself, some of it good and some of it bad.

Link to comment
55 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

5. I am honestly spiritually exhausted at the moment and pretty weak but I have seen others improve greatly. I just want this year to end but am slightly terrified 2021 will somehow manage to be worse.

I fear, and here I mean “afraid”, that 2021 is going to be worse! In this respect, I fear the long term effects on my entire family. Thankfully, my entire family has weathered 2020, better than most, but I believe that this year coming will bring many more hardships, both for us individually, and for all of the Saints. I am not sure what it will look like, as you alluded too, but I am sure it will have lasting effects. As for my comment about “leadership”, I was speaking to both our type of leadership, and the “communication age”, in which we live, a time like no other time in history of the Church. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Note: I use the word “fear” in this thread, to express “expectations“, not to imply that I am “afraid”. 

I think we can all agree, this entire year has redefined how we meet together, worship together, and cope with our ever changing environment. Due to health concerns, my wife feels better that we attend our meetings via “ZOOM”. As a result, my New Years resolution last year was to attend every meeting. However, a few health problems that I had early in the year, and then due to the pandemic, I have only attended in person, four or five meetings in 2020. 
 

After much debate, my wife and I had decided that we should attend Sacrament meetings more often, while taking necessary percussions. However, we received notice this week, that our Stake is shutting down, “again”. For now we have a tentative date of return in February, but again it is tentative. I suspect that for a third time, General Conference will be televised only, for this April schedule, which is safe and reasonable. This comes at a time when our Stake had been discussing returning to a, “2 Hour Block”, again. So, instead of a “progression”, we are “digressing”, as it seems it may be a long time before we get back to normal. 
 

In addition to this, the Church has been able to help members weather this pandemic storm, via financial assistance, due to our current economic conditions around the world. In one of our previous General Conference’s, a member of the Presiding Bishopric noted that there is “enough in the storehouse”, because “The Church”, lives by the principals that it teaches. For many over the years, who have expressed feelings that range from, “concern, to upset, to anger”, over “Church Finances”, maybe now they can see the wisdom of it? The Church, “WE”, are able to help one another, in these “Latter-days”as we are most certainly in the Latter-days. In addition, the shorter meeting schedules, also help to provide additional “Millions”, due to monies saved on building maintenance, utilities, etc. In fact, probably, hundreds of millions of dollars, to replenish funds, or help so many others who are in need. 
 

Sorry for such a long thread, but it gives me something to fill my time, and to ask questions of those here filled with “sufficient wisdom”, concerning what our future might look like. 
 

1. Most Churches in my part of the world have one meeting each Sunday, do any here see in these current conditions, might have lasting effects on how we worship in the future? 
 

2. Have any posters here returned to the two hour block to date? 
 

3. Is there any other “Faith”, more wonderfully prepared it’s people to change and adapt so quickly from “week to week”, to worship in the home? 
 

4. Has any other “Worldwide Christian Faith”, ever had the leadership of a “President or Prophet”, with such lines of communication, to able to turn on a dime if and when needed? NOTE: I am reminded that once, the Prophet asked in a letter one Sunday for the Saints to “Fast and Pray”, to raise money for a country, and in that week was able to raise $8,000,000 to help with relief. 
 

5. How many of you have had your “testimonies strengthened“  is the period of such “uncertainty“
 

6. What are the lessons have you learned in this most teachable of times? 
 

Thoughts??? 

This thread is not meant to boast, but to marvel at how my own testimony has grown, as I do love this “FAITH”, and “OUR PEOPLE”. All of this as I look back in the final hours of an remarkable year, a year of both “chaos and peace”! 
 

God bless you all, and Happy New Year!!!   

1- I suspect there will be long lasting impact on the way people observe and practice their religion on a weekly basis. This goes for both LDS and others

2- I'm typically seeing Sacrament only with additional Zoom Priesthood/Relief Society/Youth/Sunday School. I haven't seen a return to the 2 hour block

3- In my area I haven't been impressed at all by the adaptability of the local church. In fact, I've seen much better outreach and creativity by other denominations

4- I think everyone this year has turned on a dime. In some instances the LDS faith was quick to react, but not always faster or in better ways than other faiths. I think it would take a massive study to truly determine which denominations really adapted best and fastest. But I don't really think that matters much. Everyone has had to adapt and for the most part I believe everyone did their best so that's good enough. One doesn't need to be better than the others.

5- "Strengthened"? No. No one's fault. It just is what it is.

6- What I've learned: it's very easy to get out of weekly routines for worship and hard to get back in. I don't miss the community element as much as I might have thought, but I do miss it. I have found most people to be less orthoprax than usual. It's all ok. We do the best we can even if sometimes that "best" isn't really very good. But God understands and loves us anyways. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

3- In my area I haven't been impressed at all by the adaptability of the local church. In fact, I've seen much better outreach and creativity by other denominations

Primarily, I was speaking of the overall Church’s ability to adapt in this communications world we are living in, via ZOOM and policy, week to week. On the local level the ability of the Church to help some with mounting financial issues, and Bishop’s Storehouses. However, when it comes to “ministering teachers”, it has been woeful, to hear many speak of it. Our missionaries are helping with many of the things that our Home Teachers once did. I don’t know if it fear of visiting others in person or what? But we certainly need to keep in communication, one with another. Unless someone asks, there seems to be little or no. contact. I have not spoken to my Bishop, or Elder’s Quorum President (save one brief phone call with a request) in over a year, not even a hello. I guess this is because I have not needed help from anyone. Even more odd, my Bishop is a member of my extended family. My son-in-law is the brother to the Bishop’s wife. The two times my wife and I did go, it seemed many were  afraid to speak to older members, even with masks. I guess I understand their fear in this respect. 

Link to comment
On 12/31/2020 at 12:47 PM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Note: I use the word “fear” in this thread, to express “expectations“, not to imply that I am “afraid”. 

I think we can all agree, this entire year has redefined how we meet together, worship together, and cope with our ever changing environment. Due to health concerns, my wife feels better that we attend our meetings via “ZOOM”. As a result, my New Years resolution last year was to attend every meeting. However, a few health problems that I had early in the year, and then due to the pandemic, I have only attended in person, four or five meetings in 2020. 
 

After much debate, my wife and I had decided that we should attend Sacrament meetings more often, while taking necessary percussions. However, we received notice this week, that our Stake is shutting down, “again”. For now we have a tentative date of return in February, but again it is tentative. I suspect that for a third time, General Conference will be televised only, for this April schedule, which is safe and reasonable. This comes at a time when our Stake had been discussing returning to a, “2 Hour Block”, again. So, instead of a “progression”, we are “digressing”, as it seems it may be a long time before we get back to normal. 
 

In addition to this, the Church has been able to help members weather this pandemic storm, via financial assistance, due to our current economic conditions around the world. In one of our previous General Conference’s, a member of the Presiding Bishopric noted that there is “enough in the storehouse”, because “The Church”, lives by the principals that it teaches. For many over the years, who have expressed feelings that range from, “concern, to upset, to anger”, over “Church Finances”, maybe now they can see the wisdom of it? The Church, “WE”, are able to help one another, in these “Latter-days”as we are most certainly in the Latter-days. In addition, the shorter meeting schedules, also help to provide additional “Millions”, due to monies saved on building maintenance, utilities, etc. In fact, probably, hundreds of millions of dollars, to replenish funds, or help so many others who are in need. 
 

Sorry for such a long thread, but it gives me something to fill my time, and to ask questions of those here filled with “sufficient wisdom”, concerning what our future might look like. 
 

1. Most Churches in my part of the world have one meeting each Sunday, do any here see in these current conditions, might have lasting effects on how we worship in the future? 
 

2. Have any posters here returned to the two hour block to date? 
 

3. Is there any other “Faith”, more wonderfully prepared it’s people to change and adapt so quickly from “week to week”, to worship in the home? 
 

4. Has any other “Worldwide Christian Faith”, ever had the leadership of a “President or Prophet”, with such lines of communication, to able to turn on a dime if and when needed? NOTE: I am reminded that once, the Prophet asked in a letter one Sunday for the Saints to “Fast and Pray”, to raise money for a country, and in that week was able to raise $8,000,000 to help with relief. 
 

5. How many of you have had your “testimonies strengthened“  is the period of such “uncertainty“
 

6. What are the lessons have you learned in this most teachable of times? 
 

Thoughts??? 

This thread is not meant to boast, but to marvel at how my own testimony has grown, as I do love this “FAITH”, and “OUR PEOPLE”. All of this as I look back in the final hours of an remarkable year, a year of both “chaos and peace”! 
 

God bless you all, and Happy New Year!!!   

What are your predictions for 2021?  In my world things have been interesting to say the least.  Over half the places I've worked at this year not only have had or currently have covid outbreaks, they broke OSHA laws among other things.  A lot of the nurses I knew through friends moved around, a few went abroad after the hospital they worked for pretty much gave them the shaft in march.  Here's something that I predicted would happen, I see this getting worse as time goes on.  Good luck luring people back, considering how nasty people have been to each other we're seeing levels of hate that will take decades to go away.  I've been told by boomer friends that this is very much like the after affects of the riots in the 60s.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/28/950861977/toxic-individualism-pandemic-politics-driving-health-care-workers-from-small-tow

Cop friends tell me they're hearing about domestic violence a lot more as parents have to deal with homebound children and bills. 

 

Link to comment

We definitely got caught on the outside as far as the church goes. We were between wards when the pandemic hit . It took us three months to make the trip down the coast to our new home. We were  afraid to go to our new Ward because our Spanish is terrible. We spend half of our time up in California at my parents house so are considering joining that Ward. We were still paying our tithes to our old ward and then they transferred us to San Diego where our mailbox is. So we don't know what to do. None of the wards in California are open for attendance. Our local Mexican Ward maybe open. I guess I need to drive by and see at the appropriate time.

Our relationship with Heavenly Father has not suffered. We do what we can to help the homeless and the local businesses that are starving. So we are maintaining our sense of charity. I certainly wouldn't mind taking the sacrament. It's been a really long time.

Edited by rodheadlee
Link to comment

You can look up your Bishop’s name and number on the church’s website if you want to use a Californian ward; call him and let him know your concerns. 

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
On 1/1/2021 at 8:33 AM, HappyJackWagon said:

2- I'm typically seeing Sacrament only with additional Zoom Priesthood/Relief Society/Youth/Sunday School. I haven't seen a return to the 2 hour block

In Australia it's going both ways. Some parts have returned to the 2 hour block, others have only recently started face-to-face sacrament again, and others have or might be about to tighten things up again. What makes it hard with us being a global church is that we have massively varying safety levels around the world (and even within the one country or state), so some get restricted more than necessary (such as the Utah area presidency's declaration that the FP so no meetings, so that includes zoom meetings), others are safe and easily get permission to go back, others are safe but don't get permission to go back.

Edited by JustAnAustralian
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...