Seriously No Politics ×

Praise To The Man!

6 hours ago, JAHS said:

Yep. Besides that the State of Illinois apologized to the Church for what they did.

I was there for the presser that day in the Church Administration Building when the delegation of public officials from Illinois made their joint appearance with Church leaders and took questions from local news media.

It was quite an impressive occasion, and as a Church member, I deeply appreciated the gesture. 

I asked the visitors from Illinois whether any member of the delegation present that day had ancestors who took part in the Illinois persecutions against the Saints. I found it interesting that none had. 

While the word “apology” was used repeatedly in this and other news reports, I don’t believe what transpired  can properly be termed an apology, as no one now living is accountable for what others did a century-and-a-half ago. In fact, it was for that reason the language in the resolution  passed by the Illinois Assembly was amended prior to passage to remove the word “apology” or “apologize” from the document and substitute instead “expression of regret” or something along that line. 

I don’t believe in the concept of collective accountability or institutional guilt or apology by proxy. Thus, I deem it entirely appropriate that the phrase “stain Illinois” was removed from our hymn. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
5 minutes ago, Ipod Touch said:
51 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It was quite an impressive occasion, and as a Church member, I deeply appreciated the gesture.

I think the Church will eventually apologize for the unscriptural priesthood ban.  I imagine that many Black Latter-day Saints will share a similar appreciation.

But like he said Illinois never actually used the word "apologized" in the official statement.
"A week after the Illinois House passed a resolution asking for "the pardon and forgiveness" of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the sponsoring lawmaker offered a softened version that would simply express regret for the violence that drove Mormons out of the state in 1846."

And I doubt the Church will use the word "apologize" either for the priesthood ban. Church leaders for, whatever reason, at the time believed it was the right thing to do. 

On 12/26/2020 at 10:37 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

@mac7 

"Of" =/= "Have."

Just sayin'!

And perhaps you should ponder whether you presume to know entirely too much.  Using that logic, should we throw out We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet, as well?  (I don't have a reference, but one recent prophet said he thought of his predecessors in the role each time the song was sung.)  As has been pointed out, Joseph Smith had every reason to tell W.W. Phelps, the author of Praise to the Man, to take a long walk off of a short pier (preferably while wearing heavy boots) when the latter sought reconciliation with him, yet he didn't do so.  Certainly, Brother Phelps had every reason to extol Brother Joseph's magnanimity.  Any member of the Church of Jesus Christ with a reasonably well functioning brain ought to know that Joseph Smith, or any other leader of the Church of Jesus Christ (see what I did there? ;)) is of value to members of the Church of Jesus Christ (see what I did there? ;)) only insofar as he leads the members of the Church of Jesus Christ (see what I did there? ;)) to Jesus Christ

As for this work that you are absolutely convinced should be part of the hymnody of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it's a pity that Brother Joseph's prophetic gifts failed him so completely that he wasn't able to persuade Emma to include the song in the original hymnbook of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, even though, apparently, it wasn't even written until about 140 years after that first collection of Latter-day Saint hymns was published.  And if Praise to the Man upsets you, Doctrine and Covenants 135 (which is a part of our canon, for goodness' sake!) ought to send you to the absolute heights of apoplexy! :shok: :blink: :huh: 

My brother I used the Hym "He could of called ten thousand Angels" not because I sought to have it included in the LDS hymnal, but of its contents concerning our Great God and Saviour Jesus of Nazerath, of His sufferings and death apon the cross to atone for mankinds sins.

What our God did for us there, no Angel, no power from on high, no prophet , nor any thing in the universe, both seen or unseen could of done for us what our Lord Jesus done for us apon said Cross....

If you truly had a testimony of our Saviour, you like me would of wept reading the words of that song that speaks of our Saviours suffering and bowed the knee and confessed along with me that Jesus is Lord and that all praise, honor and glory should be to Him and him alone.

Joseph being a True Prophet of the Lord would of bowed the knee gladly with me and acknowlegded that all glory, honour power and praise belonged to Christ Jesus.

For a Prophets most sacred juty, yes his great joy is to bear Witness that Jesus is the Lord, the God and Saviour of all mankind and that we must worship him with all our might, mind and strength and give Him the glory and praise...

For we mortals are but frail sinners, saved by the undeserved mercy of that Holy God, and are but by said grace but tools in the Saviours hands, if we should boast or show forth praise then let it be to the One that hung apon the cross for us....

@mac7 

"Of" =/= "Have."

Just sayin'!

And perhaps you should ponder whether you presume to know entirely too much.  Using that logic, should we throw out We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet, as well?  (I don't have a reference, but one recent prophet said he thought of his predecessors in the role each time the song was sung.)  As has been pointed out, Joseph Smith had every reason to tell W.W. Phelps, the author of Praise to the Man, to take a long walk off of a short pier (preferably while wearing heavy boots) when the latter sought reconciliation with him, yet he didn't do so.  Certainly, Brother Phelps had every reason to extol Brother Joseph's magnanimity.  Any member of the Church of Jesus Christ with a reasonably well functioning brain ought to know that Joseph Smith, or any other leader of the Church of Jesus Christ (see what I did there? ;)) is of value to members of the Church of Jesus Christ (see what I did there? ;)) only insofar as he leads the members of the Church of Jesus Christ (see what I did there? ;)) to Jesus Christ

As for this work that you are absolutely convinced should be part of the hymnody of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it's a pity that Brother Joseph's prophetic gifts failed him so completely that he wasn't able to persuade Emma to include the song in the original hymnbook of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, even though, apparently, it wasn't even written until about 140 years after that first collection of Latter-day Saint hymns was published.  And if Praise to the Man upsets you, Doctrine and Covenants 135 (which is a part of our canon, for goodness' sake!) ought to send you to the absolute heights of apoplexy! :shok: :blink: :huh: 

My brother I used the Hym "He could of called ten thousand Angels" not because I sought to have it included in the LDS hymnal, but of its contents concerning our Great God and Saviour Jesus of Nazerath, of His sufferings and death apon the cross to atone for mankinds sins.

What our God did for us there, no Angel, no power from on high, no prophet , nor any thing in the universe, both seen or unseen could of done for us what our Lord Jesus done for us apon said Cross....

If you truly had a testimony of our Saviour, you like me would of wept reading the words of that song that speaks of our Saviours suffering and bowed the knee and confessed along with me that Jesus is Lord and that all praise, honor and glory should be to Him and him alone.

Joseph being a True Prophet of the Lord would of bowed the knee gladly with me and acknowlegded that all glory, honour power and praise belonged to Christ Jesus.

For a Prophets most sacred juty, yes his great joy is to bear Witness that Jesus is the Lord, the God and Saviour of all mankind and that we must worship him with all our might, mind and strength and give Him the glory and praise...

For we mortals are but frail sinners, saved by the undeserved mercy of that Holy God, and are but by said grace but tools in the Saviours hands, if we should boast or show forth praise then let it be to the One that hung apon the cross for us....

@mac7 

"Of" =/= "Have."

Just sayin'!

@mac7 

"Of" =/= "Have."

Just sayin'!

If one truly had a testimony of our Saviour, one would like me would of wept reading the words of that song that speaks of our Saviours suffering and bowed the knee and confessed along with me that Jesus is Lord and that all praise, honor and glory should be to Him and him alone.

@mac7 

"Of" =/= "Have."

Just sayin'!

If one truly had a testimony of our Saviour, one would like me would of wept reading the words of that song that speaks of our Saviours suffering and bowed the knee and confessed along with me that Jesus is Lord and that all praise, honor and glory should be to Him and him alone.

1 hour ago, mac7 said:

Making testimony tests (poster must do or do not something like you do to be truly faithful, Christian, Christlike, etc) is not board appropriate or life appropriate imo. It is God who establishes such things and he understands the heart as well as the variety of all his children...and who I believe rejoices in our differences. 

And I have never seen a commandment that we cry on cue to certain songs or even circumstances.

Edited by Calm

@mac7

And "of" =/= "have" ... still.  Just sayin'!

And "hym" =/= "hymn" ... still. :rolleyes:

Spell Checkand Grammar Check are your friends. ;) 

And I got your point the first time you entered that post.  You didn't have to do it five or six more times simply to make sure that I got it. ;) 

Edited by Kenngo1969
On 12/27/2020 at 8:00 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

I disagree with your conjecture about Joseph’s preference regarding the hymn, but since he is not here for us to ask him about it, I think it pointless for either of us to speculate about it.  

By the way, “would of” (a pet peeve of mine) is not proper English and is not appropriate for use in place of the phrase “would have” or the contraction “would’ve”. 

Obviously, you ain’t from Texas, lol. 

Am sorry for repeated posts but it kept telling me every time I submitted said post it had failed, so sought to repost it, etc...I will learn the ropes here though...

There is only One worthy of our praise and worship in a sacrament meeting or any gathering of Christian people, that is Jesus of Nazerath, it was Him that Hung apon the Cross for us, hence all the honour, glory and praise is His. ....

Singing praises and exhalting a Prophet in a sacrament meeting which is supposed to be centred apon the Saviours atonement for instance is inappropriate, all the songs sung should be about Christ Jesus and His sacrifice, the talks also for we gather together to partake of his blood and his body in rememberance of His Atonement for our sins....

1 hour ago, mac7 said:

Am sorry for repeated posts but it kept telling me every time I submitted said post it had failed, so sought to repost it, etc...I will learn the ropes here though...

There is only One worthy of our praise and worship in a sacrament meeting or any gathering of Christian people, that is Jesus of Nazerath, it was Him that Hung apon the Cross for us, hence all the honour, glory and praise is His. ....

Singing praises and exhalting a Prophet in a sacrament meeting which is supposed to be centred apon the Saviours atonement for instance is inappropriate, all the songs sung should be about Christ Jesus and His sacrifice, the talks also for we gather together to partake of his blood and his body in rememberance of His Atonement for our sins....

Praise to the Man is the kind of hymn we would sing back when we had Sunday School with an opening exercise. Sometimes we would sing it during priesthood opening exercise.
I know my ward doesn't it in Sacrament meeting but there may be some wards that do that.

I stand by my original post.  Any prophet is of value only insofar as he points me to Christ, so I don't buy the dichotomy you're attempting to foist upon the forum.

1 hour ago, mac7 said:

During a faith crisis about the church, when this was sang in Sacrament or sunday school classes, I would replace Joseph for Jesus. 

On 12/23/2020 at 8:25 PM, JLHPROF said:

A Happy 215th Birthday to our beloved Prophet Joseph.

I give thanks for the gospel, laws, ordinances, and priesthood keys restored to earth through him.  I am thankful to have the Book of Mormon and the revelations from heaven that fell from his lips.

I thank my Heavenly Father for sending the Prophet Joseph to restore his truth to earth and I'm grateful for the testimony of his mission I gained at 14.

Praise to the man until millions shall know him again!

rMCM1roWahgK9i0H4xVcmkm3DPETCK5EYnupol6K

And you wonder why other Christians call the LDS Church a cult....

On 12/25/2020 at 7:14 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

I especially like the part that says, “Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren.”  

It reminds me that, consistent with Christ’s intercessory prayer that we be one with God and Christ, we should all one day be “mingling with Gods.”

All of Christianity certainly does not understand this like you do with you LDS glasses on causes you to do so.

3 minutes ago, Teancum said:

And you wonder why other Christians call the LDS Church a cult....

Not really.  Since using the same definition all of Christianity would be considered a cult.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

During a faith crisis about the church, when this was sang in Sacrament or sunday school classes, I would replace Joseph for Jesus. 

Not sure how that would make any sense lyrically?  🤨

5 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Not really.  Since using the same definition all of Christianity would be considered a cult.

Personally I think all religions are cults. The real question is where does any particular religious set land on the bell curve of dangerous and damaging cults.  And where does the LDS Church land?

10 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Not sure how that would make any sense lyrically?  🤨

It was a coping mechanism when I was down on Joseph at that time. I knew I had to sing for my peer group, but I'd replace "Joseph" and say "Jesus", even if it didn't make sense. No one noticed I did it, I just did it quietly, for my integrity.

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It was a coping mechanism when I was down on Joseph at that time. I knew I had to sing for my peer group, but I'd replace "Joseph" and say "Jesus", even if it didn't make sense. No one noticed I did it, I just did it quietly, for my integrity.

The only time the name "Joseph" appears in the song/hymn "Praise to the Man" is on the line where the lyric is "Millions shall know “Brother Joseph” again" so replacing the name Joseph with Jesus actually works just fine.

29 minutes ago, Ahab said:

The only time the name "Joseph" appears in the song/hymn "Praise to the Man" is on the line where the lyric is "Millions shall know “Brother Joseph” again" so replacing the name Joseph with Jesus actually works just fine.

As I recall it better now, I do believe I replaced "the man" with "Jesus" as well. Thanks for bringing that up, because I'm thinking I said "Jesus" more than once. 

Edited by Tacenda
44 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

As I recall it better now, I do believe I replaced "the man" with "Jesus" as well. Thanks for bringing that up, because I'm thinking I said "Jesus" more than once. 

Exactly.  Praise to Jesus who communed with Jehovah (Brigham would have approved.)

Jesus anointed that Jesus.