Seriously No Politics ×

What is the Good News of the Gospel for You?

9 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

The reality of divine justice. I understand that injustice must exist but it's good to know that God will correct it and refine us to deal with it along the way. 

And the additional blessing that as divine justice is meted out we have the promise that ALL will agree that God’s judgements are just, both as they pertain to as and as they pertain to everyone else.

That I can, eventually, be perfected in Christ. I hate making mistakes, especially when they hurt someone else. The hope that I can progress to a point where I don't make those mistakes anymore is probably the biggest good news for me. Right next to that would be the resurrection and eternal family relationships.

Edited by rchorse
4 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The word Gospel means "good news, good tidings."  The Bible contains lots of things, but the good news of Christ is that he paid the price for all our failures -- something even our best efforts cannot get beyond.  Everything else in the Bible is irrelevant compared to the great personal and infinite self-sacrifice by Jesus.  Justice requires payment, but that atoning sacrifice of Jesus pays justice in full, allowing God to be merciful and to hold out the hand of grace to all who seek Him.  Otherwise all of us were lost and forlorn.

The locus classicus for this concept in the Book of Mormon is found in Mosiah 15:15-18, which is a progressive, climactic parallelism combined with a midrash on Isaiah 52:7 – in the words of Abinadi:

15        And O how beautiful upon the mountains were their feet!

16        And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet

of those that are still publishing peace!

17        And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet

of those who shall hereafter publish peace,

yea, from this time henceforth and forever!

18        And behold, I say unto you, this is not all.

For O how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet

of him that bringeth good tidings,[2]

that is the founder of peace,

yea, even the Lord, who has redeemed his people;

yea, him who has granted salvation unto his people;

[2] The “good tidings” in Isaiah 52:7 (měbassēr tôb) is identical to the New Testament use of “Gospel” (εὐαγγέλιον) as “good news” (Mark 1:1), while “Salvation, Savior” (Yěšûʻâ) is the specific meaning and actual spelling of the name of Jesus: Yešuʻa (Luke 1:31,69, 2:21,30).  That the very name of a forthcoming anointed holy one might be provided well ahead of time may be seen also in I Kings 13:2 (Josiah) and Isaiah 44:28, 45:1 (Cyrus).

It's good to hear from you again, Robert. 

13 hours ago, let’s roll said:

There are some obvious answers if you choose to quote scripture but I’d appreciate it if you shared the aspect of the Gospel that resonates most clearly and deeply with you and provides you peace.

How easy it is to be cleansed from all of my sins and receive every blessing God can give me so that I can have the same kind of life he has.

Nigh on 2000 years ago, a bruised , battered naked body was nailed to a cross, seemingly defeated ....Three days later Jesus of Nazerath arose triumphant from the tomb......

And this earth has never been the same since! Jesus of Nazerath is alive!  This is what the Gospel is all about for me ....

On 12/22/2020 at 9:26 AM, pogi said:

For me, the greatest peace has come from learning through experience in the trenches of addiction that the word "unlovable" isn't really a thing.   Despite my darkest self-doubts, my most pathetic failures, my glaring weaknesses, and tarnishing insecurities, I always find a pure, unadulterated love in Christ whenever I garner the courage to come out of hiding from God and proclaim as Adam in Eden, "here I am".   He sees it all as I step into the most terrifying place an addict can be - the full light of exposure. He sees the deepest, darkest, corners of my soul that I myself loath to visit, and despite my greatest fears, I am not completely destroyed and obliterated by the light of the all-seeing God of justice.  Instead...mercy.  A warm embrace...almost jarring at first, then followed by a deep peace in the security and assurance of His arms.  Pure love in the quiet of my soul...for the first time.   There is a balm in Gilead.  It is real. 

Thank you.