Seriously No Politics ×

May Christ Lift Thee Up

54 minutes ago, TheTanakas said:

I had a question on this section of the manual

408 - Moroni 8:5-26 - What did the Nephites who were baptizing little children misunderstand 
about the Atonement of Jesus Christ?

How long was the Nephite church in apostasy, committing the gross error of baptizing little
children?

Pete

it seems that some had apostatized, but not the whole church (Moroni 8:4). There was a period where correction was possible.

Once a church apsitarizes it remains so forever until it is restored. I don't believe the Nephite church was restored, but the Church of Christ was. The Book of Mormon makes a distinction between these two churches.

The Nephite church would have completely apostatized around the year 400 AD.

Edited by CV75
1 hour ago, TheTanakas said:

I had a question on this section of the manual

408 - Moroni 8:5-26 - What did the Nephites who were baptizing little children misunderstand 
about the Atonement of Jesus Christ?

How long was the Nephite church in apostasy, committing the gross error of baptizing little
children?

Pete

I don't think the whole church was in apostacy.  There may have been segments, or even splinter groups, who started practicing wrong. I don't think we have any idea how long it was going on for.  

Could you imagine how difficult it would have been to keep the entire church unified in doctrine before modern technology or mass publishing?  We can see in the New Testament how the apostles struggled with this in the epistles. I'm not sure how they dealt with it in the America's. 

On 12/11/2020 at 6:54 PM, pogi said:

I don't think the whole church was in apostacy.  There may have been segments, or even splinter groups, who started practicing wrong. I don't think we have any idea how long it was going on for.  

I agree.  There is no indication of when the evil abomination of baptizing little children 
began.  The time frame for Moroni chapter 8 is listed as about 401-421 A.D.

But it might mean that all the 12 disciples were in total apostasy for allowing this practice
to come about.  I assume verses 4-5 is speaking of the true sect or true church to which
Moroni belonged to.

When the disputations among the Nephites originated about the baptism of little children, 
why didn't Moroni himself (or many other leaders in the Nephite church) inquire of the 
Lord in this manner?  It seems like his father Mormon was in some distant land or in the 
same area but not aware of the wickedness that was occurring in the Nephite church so 
someone had to make him aware of it (which led him to write to his son Moroni).

Edited by theplains
grammar