Please enjoy my bad Church choices

Chum

This is what I do when I probably ought to be doing other things. I tell my kids "At least it's not cocaine." I don't think they're buying it.

Even better is me doing it for the wrongest reasons. In this case I believe I cause trouble by lining up thousands of people to be baptized without consent of closer family members. I mean I've also had the "I'm a hero for saving the dead" thing but being an actual hero is a lot of work and I don't have that much ambition.

Much better to play with puzzles which is my most really real reason for doing 10k [1] names. I like assembling complex and obscure families. A lot. Way a lot. I know that's not overly wrong but it's also not as interesting as irritating thousands of people I don't know. [2]   Also I'm a hypocrite here. Should I go into that here? I might have explained it in another post. Maybe. Not sure.

Anyone else have dodgy, compulsive Church behavior to share? Overdo your callings? I've done that too.

[1] It's a lot less after merging. Probably like ½ or maybe ⅔.

[2] In case someone wonders, I reached every name thru my family lines.  I reach families laterally (via marriages) but there is a direct line to every person.

My Stats FamilySearch.png

When you run out of names for yours, you can work on mine. I go way back on my mom’s side, but dad’s gets stuck in Germany with a Jewish family. 

I used to overdo Primary lessons. Make elaborate visual aids. After the third time through the same manual I was bored.

Then there was the time I was trying to make a database of everything that the Church Distribution had put out for Church libraries because the Church didn’t have one online. The idea was to post it on a website and then church librarians could just check the items in their own unit and have a complete list with descriptions to check. Hopefully to add in what lessons each item could be used for.  

I had just found an older version someone had done for a masters in library science at BYU and they sent me a copy when we had to move back to the states. We sold or returned computers to the university after making backups, so no problem my husband assured me.  Only he didn’t make the backup of my computer for some reason. And two years of my work and my copy of the masters list was gone. Life became rather complicated after that and I never got back the energy or desire to try it again. I could have easily used BYU resources if my health was decent, so it was rather irritating for a few years until I stopped working in the library and the urge to organize it faded. 

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I was once the building scheduler. I trained as many organizations as possible to use the online calendar and tried desperately to get them all to use it. 

Looking back, I think my zeal was probably just annoying. 

Oh, I would have adored you! I do not understand the resistance to it in the stakes I have lived.

7 hours ago, Calm said:

When you run out of names for yours, you can work on mine. I go way back on my mom’s side, but dad’s gets stuck in Germany with a Jewish family.

I mostly work on US families, between 1840 and 1940. One exception involved that trove of 1600-1900 German church records (reported between GC sessions in 10/18). It happened that those were indexed the same moment I needed them to fill out my uncle's line.

However those were Christian church records which I think doesn't help you. PM me if want me to poke around. You never know.

8 hours ago, Calm said:

Then there was the time I was trying to make a database of everything that the Church Distribution had put out for Church libraries because the Church didn’t have one online. The idea was to post it on a website and then church librarians could just check the items in their own unit and have a complete list with descriptions to check. Hopefully to add in what lessons each item could be used for.  

That was a pretty terrible ending to that.

However it still a cool example of an extracurricular ward project. I bet there's a lot of them out there.  It might make a good post.

ex: I run an obit scraper for a client and wrote a script to compare obits against the ward roster. Every few months it'd find some inactive decedent, that we'd otherwise not know about. 

1 hour ago, Chum said:

I mostly work on US families, between 1840 and 1940. One exception involved that trove of 1600-1900 German church records (reported between GC sessions in 10/18). It happened that those were indexed the same moment I needed them to fill out my uncle's line.

However those were Christian church records which I think doesn't help you. PM me if want me to poke around. You never know.

Apparently Jews were sometimes required to register at local Protestant churches, so I may go dig out some names and dates. 

On 12/11/2020 at 2:50 AM, Calm said:

I used to overdo Primary lessons. Make elaborate visual aids. After the third time through the same manual I was bored.

I had just found an older version someone had done for a masters in library science at BYU and they sent me a copy when we had to move back to the states. We sold or returned computers to the university after making backups, so no problem my husband assured me.  Only he didn’t make the backup of my computer for some reason. And two years of my work and my copy of the masters list was gone. Life became rather complicated after that and I never got back the energy or desire to try it again. I could have easily used BYU resources if my health was decent, so it was rather irritating for a few years until I stopped working in the library and the urge to organize it faded. 

I had a similar experience.  I was meeting house librarian.  Finding stuff in the library was a mess.  So I started cataloging everything on my own.  I found items that were so old including ward scrapbooks from 20 years before.  That was a hoot.   I was nearly done when I was released and then within a week or 2 library there was a fire in the building when all of those items were lost anyway.   

Edited by Rain
10 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I was once the building scheduler. I trained as many organizations as possible to use the online calendar and tried desperately to get them all to use it. 

Looking back, I think my zeal was probably just annoying. 

I don't have anything against online scheduling, per se, but in practice, it was a mess for those who followed the rules in our stake. A lot of things were being overriden, deleted, moved, etc. I told the stake that's what I missed about competent, human building schedulers. The right person is a good gatekeeper who can keep things organized, head off conflicts or disputes (i.e., a funeral vs. basketball/volleyball night), etc. There are still some things that it's better to have a live person for, in my view. 

Scheduling FM repairs or issues online was an absolute disaster, and I'll bet it's only gotten worse over the last couple of years (because facilities has been scaled w-a-y back, even pre-Covid). You would schedule an urgent issue, and months would go by. Everyone quickly learned that you just needed to get it taken care of yourself, with people and skills available to you. 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Rain said:

I had a similar experience.  I was meeting house library.  Finding stuff in the library was a mess.  So I started cataloging everything on my own.  I found items that were so old including ward scrapbooks from 20 years before.  That was a hoot.   I was nearly done when I was released and then within a week or 2 library there was a fire in the building when all of those items were lost anyway.   

Oh my gosh! That's a very sad story!

This isn't exactly congruent to your experience, but when I was a teen I organized a basement band that included my younger brother. I was lead guitar, he was rhythm, and we had a drummer and a vocalist. We were not very good, but made up for it with enthusiasm, I guess.

One day, we practiced in our basement instead of somewhere else. After all the equipment was brought down to the basement and set up, I assigned myself the task of figuring out in advance whether we would blow the basement circuit breaker when we turned everything on. I didn't tell anyone what I was doing. Yes, just three amplifiers into the one outlet, and I shouldn't have worried, but I did. I carefully read each data plate to see how much wattage they could output, and then started using Ohm's Law to calculate how much current they would draw, but just at the moment when I started doing the arithmetic on my scratch pad (in the days before electronic calculators), my brother came down, said "Okay, let's go!" and flipped the switches on. No problem, the circuit held. I sat there in great disappointment and put the pad away.