Baby diapers and pantry potatoes

AtlanticMike

So I still can't post in general discussions yet because I dont have enough time on here so im going to do a few post to get my count up so sorry if I'm boring you guys. But I thought I would tell you a funny story that I'm almost 100% sure you've never heard anywhere else and it pertains to cleaning the church. So 5 or so years ago, the Saturday after Thanksgiving my wife and I were signed up to clean the church. Naturally when we got there we were the only ones waiting for the bishop to open the door. Waited 30 minutes and still nobody showed. The bishop was going to delay his trip by a few hours so he and his family could stay and help but I felt bad because he had a 6 hour drive in front of him so I volunteered to have one of my roofing crews come help me and my wife so he could take his family trip. Well he wasn't to happy because I think you have to either be a member and if not a member you have to sign a release if your going to work on church grounds, not sure though. I promised him everything would be ok and he left me with the keys and I was extremely happy because I finally get the chance to clean the building like I want to. I dont no about were you live but we are required to clean with the chemicals the church provides and they suck. The best way I can explain the smell in our building is a mixture of baby diapers and potatoes that have been left in the pantry for to long. I can't stand it! So I made a few mistakes that day, first I left to go home and get a commercial steamer I had purchased just a couple weeks before. I had never used it and this was the perfect opportunity to see how it works, I was going to clean the bathrooms top to bottom in hopes of getting rid of that smell. Well, when me and my wife got back the first thing we smelled was cigarette smoke as soon as we opened the door. 3 of the 5 guys there thought it would be smart to stand just outside one of the side doors and smoke the whole time we were gone and unfortunately the wind blew most of their smoke back into the church. That's probably not the worst part, because the steam cleaner worked great, so good that the heat cracked the mirror in the women's bathroom. Then to top it off my foreman who weighs 300 lbs and stands 6'4 pulled the basketball rim off the backboard right before we left. It was one of those days you feel like a total idiot. So I paid for the mirror and the backboard but the funny part is on Sunday we all had a laugh, even the bishop, because we stood in the hall watching people come in and wonder why in the hell does the church smell like cigarettes. Their facial expressions were priceless. But, for atleast that sunday, with the help of my roofing crew, no one smelled the mixture of diapers and potatoes, just tobacco and a hint of wintergreen. 

41 minutes ago, Mike Livingston said:

So I still can't post in general discussions yet because I dont have enough time on here so im going to do a few post to get my count up so sorry if I'm boring you guys. But I thought I would tell you a funny story that I'm almost 100% sure you've never heard anywhere else and it pertains to cleaning the church. So 5 or so years ago, the Saturday after Thanksgiving my wife and I were signed up to clean the church. Naturally when we got there we were the only ones waiting for the bishop to open the door. Waited 30 minutes and still nobody showed. The bishop was going to delay his trip by a few hours so he and his family could stay and help but I felt bad because he had a 6 hour drive in front of him so I volunteered to have one of my roofing crews come help me and my wife so he could take his family trip. Well he wasn't to happy because I think you have to either be a member and if not a member you have to sign a release if your going to work on church grounds, not sure though. I promised him everything would be ok and he left me with the keys and I was extremely happy because I finally get the chance to clean the building like I want to. I dont no about were you live but we are required to clean with the chemicals the church provides and they suck. The best way I can explain the smell in our building is a mixture of baby diapers and potatoes that have been left in the pantry for to long. I can't stand it! So I made a few mistakes that day, first I left to go home and get a commercial steamer I had purchased just a couple weeks before. I had never used it and this was the perfect opportunity to see how it works, I was going to clean the bathrooms top to bottom in hopes of getting rid of that smell. Well, when me and my wife got back the first thing we smelled was cigarette smoke as soon as we opened the door. 3 of the 5 guys there thought it would be smart to stand just outside one of the side doors and smoke the whole time we were gone and unfortunately the wind blew most of their smoke back into the church. That's probably not the worst part, because the steam cleaner worked great, so good that the heat cracked the mirror in the women's bathroom. Then to top it off my foreman who weighs 300 lbs and stands 6'4 pulled the basketball rim off the backboard right before we left. It was one of those days you feel like a total idiot. So I paid for the mirror and the backboard but the funny part is on Sunday we all had a laugh, even the bishop, because we stood in the hall watching people come in and wonder why in the hell does the church smell like cigarettes. Their facial expressions were priceless. But, for atleast that sunday, with the help of my roofing crew, no one smelled the mixture of diapers and potatoes, just tobacco and a hint of wintergreen. 

Hahahahahaha!! I can't top yours but here are a couple of my shenanigans.

First, my just returned missionary, decides to hit a few golf balls in our back yard, our home backed up to our church. And the golf ball sailed over the fence and broke a window that led to the nursery room. Glass covered the floor and we cleaned/vacuumed up as best we could and called the building supervisor. Forgot the title, and the church foot the bill, haha. 

A basketball backboard was shattered at another time, by one of my sons and his friends. 

Another time, I was part of the activity committee and I came up with the game, turkey bowling with real frozen turkey hens. Dumb move on my part because some overzealous throwers threw them up against the cultural hall potato sack walls, scratchy brown stuff, and left some marks I couldn't get rid of. I think I was the only one that noticed the marks, while sitting each Sac meeting & feeling very guilty. They were blue or red marks from the package ink I believe.

I could on and on...

7 hours ago, Mike Livingston said:

🙂

No problems with non members and they don't need to sign releases. The only time non members would need to sign a release members would too.