FairMormon response on The Show videos

Calm

Sorry I didn’t get it out earlier. For some reason I am not getting emails from the announcement address. 

https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2020/12/08/fairmormon-statement-regarding-this-is-the-show-videos

Recently FairMormon released a new set of videos titled “This is The Show” on our YouTube channel. These videos use comedy and caricature to address criticisms of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are intended for a youth and young adult audience as part of our efforts to provide accurate, well-documented answers to criticisms of the doctrine, practice and history of the Church.

In response to these videos, some individuals have made incorrect claims and accusations we wish to address.

First, some have claimed that other groups collaborated with FairMormon on these videos. This is false.  FairMormon commissioned the production of “This is The Show” videos without prompting, input, suggestion or direction from any other entity or individual. No other group has contributed to the content, style, performance, production, or distribution of our videos. FairMormon alone is responsible for the content shared on the videos, and our websites....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case it hasn’t been noticed, the picture of BY and women thumbnail has been changed. This was decided as soon as brought to the attention of leadership, but I don’t know when it was actually changed. I forgot to check. 

I am not aware of any other changes, but there were a ton of different emails discussing this and I may have missed something. 

Edited by Calm

Well, I have to say I am disappointed that FairMormon's response to the uproar over the This Is the Show videos is to double-down and claim full responsibility for their content.

“This is The Show” video series isn’t a change in our course, It’s our first attempt to support young people—using means, methods, and media commonly familiar to them—in their efforts to understand and defend sincere and insincere questions or attacks on their faith and beliefs. 

If hosting shallow, crass, demeaning, belittling content "isn't a change in our course," then I guess I've been giving FairMormon too much credit all these years.

Edited by Nevo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Nevo said:

Well, I have to say I am disappointed that FairMormon's response to the uproar over the This Is the Show videos is to double-down and claim full responsibility for their content.

If hosting shallow, crass, demeaning, belittling content "isn't a change in our course," then I guess I've been giving FairMormon too much credit all these years.

The one I saw was all the things you say, but it was misleading at best. I wonder who is checking them for accuracy. 

26 minutes ago, Nevo said:

As opposed to not claiming responsibility....?  They did put them out....

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

The one I saw was all the things you say, but it was misleading at best. I wonder who is checking them for accuracy. 

Please write in and point out any problems you have with accuracy. It is unfortunate that while we got complaints, very few were willing to share details.  We want to improve. We will probably be using a variety of formats with the intent that if there is any interest, something will work for the viewer. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, juliann said:

As opposed to not claiming responsibility....?  They did put them out....

I was rather proud we didn’t try to shift the responsibility at all.  Even when we blow it, we should still own it.  (Depending on who you talk to on this, it goes from hitting a home run to total self destruction and lots in between...I don’t see it as over yet, so not drawing my own conclusions until later.)

Edited by Calm
5 minutes ago, Calm said:

Please write in and point out any problems you have with accuracy. It is unfortunate that while we got complaints, very few were willing to share details.  We want to improve. We will probably be using a variety of formats with the intent that if there is any interest, something will work for the viewer. 

I'll just repeat what I said earlier:

Made it about halfway through the Book of Abraham video. Mightily unimpressed. First, they simply wave off that Joseph was claiming to do any translation based on, I don't know what. Then they fixate on Runnells's citation of someone name Kevin Mathey. Why? Because it's easier to attack a lack of credentials than to deal with the substance. They then ridicule the idea that the drawings Joseph Smith made in the lacunae are incorrect reconstructions, even though pretty much every Egyptologist, LDS included, agrees that they are. They act as if Runnells is hiding something because he apparently didn't include the actual original papyri, suggesting instead that slight stylistic variations in the vignette's depiction mean the Smith additions are perfectly fine. 

Calm, the inaccuracies that I saw mostly had to do with mischaracterizing the opinions of critics, particularly the faux critics that were brought on for comedic purposes. This is not something that can be fixed through editing, since it is basically the modus operandi of the entire series. The pervasive use of strawman arguments marks the videos as unserious, disrespectful, and ultimately unpersuasive. 

I admire loyalty and not being quick on the trigger to give in to cancel culture, but I am surprised that the response was (so far) just to accept responsibility. That's also admirable and important, but given the preemptive caveats (this is experimental, we know they won't be for everyone, many won't like them, they are targeted to a different audience, focus group testing responses were mixed, etc.), I'm surprised that there wasn't any acknowledgment or empathy expressed about what many people (including people who support FAIR's goals) are upset about. The statement only stated that it commissioned the videos, and wasn't approached by anyone else, and that it didn't put out the meme in question. This didn't address what the real complaints and criticisms are. 

I think that there has been behind the scenes, off the record discussion about how their demeanor and behavior (including in other social media venues) reflects on FAIR, and I expect that this will be reflected in future content and in future behavior. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Passing yours on too, Grant.  Thank you.

---

Signing off for now, I should have shut down 8 hours ago...too many interesting POVs to read.  See you in the evening hours I hope. (Insomniac here for the newcomers)

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Grant Hardy said:

Calm, the inaccuracies that I saw mostly had to do with mischaracterizing the opinions of critics, particularly the faux critics that were brought on for comedic purposes. This is not something that can be fixed through editing, since it is basically the modus operandi of the entire series. The pervasive use of strawman arguments marks the videos as unserious, disrespectful, and ultimately unpersuasive. 

I found this also to be very dismissive and not addressing the real questions that critics present.  It makes it look like they were able to totally dismiss any arguments presented to them, when in fact, their answers were so superficial that it only strengthened the real questions critics are addressing.  It was like they were trying to be dismissive on a superficial level because they couldn't counter the real questions critics pose.  

Again folks, welcome to the Millennial and GenZ generations.  Do you know any?  Because they really do think/talk/act/reason/respond like this.   When kids grow up in front of multiple computer monitors and an iPhone for 12 hours a day, these sorts of personalities/communication styles are the result.  Meta-humor and multileveled sarcastic irony is the new black.  You don't have to wear it, but you might as well at least understand that it's in style.

I'm guessing at least one of y'all have one living in your own home, and you don't even know it.   They had you figured out from age 5.  You think you quashed that sort of talk and attitude, but all you did was drive it underground.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My apologies, but I have been getting signs I may be triggering vertigo, which is harmless but very uncomfortable.  I find controversies very interesting because they are great windows to seeing how people process ideas and such...and there tends to be lots of different and new posters showing up, but I think I am over invested in this one. Brain is on the hamster wheel and sleep isn’t happening.  Inversion isn’t helping. So stepping back.

You will undoubtedly see me posting here because this is a worse addiction than Korean food for me, but I won’t be relaying people’s suggestions or complaints back to FM. Hate saying not doing it after setting up the expectation.  I so realize that can be annoying. 

Please write to FM yourself through the contact FM page if you are serious about wanting to see change and not just wanting to show your moral superiority. :P

If you provide specific examples of what you find concerning along with time stamps, that would be appreciated.  

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1