Seriously No Politics ×

Fair Mormon's new YouTube branding strategy

3 hours ago, juliann said:

Dehlin, I would assume not having any luck whatsoever with police (assuming he called them at all), says he filed an FBI report.  Cause they don't have enough to do without referreeing his ongoing squabbles with Mormons. I am waiting with bated breath for the arrests. 

If Kathy Griffin can hold up a fake decapitated President Trump head and that's not illegal, I'm not sure why Dehlin thinks that the video using his name is a crime?

27 minutes ago, bluebell said:

If Kathy Griffin can hold up a fake decapitated President Trump head and that's not illegal, I'm not sure why Dehlin thinks that the video using his name is a crime?

Where did you all find he reported it to the FBI? But in sure his motivation is he needs to ride this train as long as he can to keep that cash flow coming in from his acolytes.   

Nemesis

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Where did you all find he reported it to the FBI? But in sure his motivation is he needs to ride this train as long as he can to keep that cash flow coming in from his acolytes.   

Nemesis

Juliann mentioned it. I’m not sure what her source is. 

2 hours ago, Ipod Touch said:

Ultimately, I feel sorry for John Dehlin.

Here is a man that has such low self-esteem, he jumps off the deep end at every perceived slight.  He's so out of sorts he agrees to do a podcast with a person and then calls 911 on them a few hours later. 

I was checking out r/exmormon late last week.  Even as recently as 1 year ago, John had created a thread: "HEY FRIENDS!  Help Needed!  I need a source for how Joseph Smith is worse than Stalin. Urgent!" He has to be the most uninformed critic the Mormon Church has ever seen.

I kind of come at it from a different angle.  I think it's his big ego and not his small self esteem that has created most of his weirdness.

45 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I kind of come at it from a different angle.  I think it's his big ego and not his small self esteem that has created most of his weirdness.

I dislike his interviewing abilities. Sometimes he'll ask a question where the interviewee had just mentioned the answer just a minute before, so it's like he wasn't even listening.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I dislike his interviewing abilities. Sometimes he'll ask a question where the interviewee had just mentioned the answer just a minute before, so it's like he wasn't even listening.

I have to agree with this.

He knows he talks too much in interviews because his audience has told him so. It's hard to know if it's just a habit that's hard to break or if he just likes the sound of his own voice.

M.

2 hours ago, Maureen said:

I have to agree with this.

He knows he talks too much in interviews because his audience has told him so. It's hard to know if it's just a habit that's hard to break or if he just likes the sound of his own voice.

M.

How long has he been doing podcasts?  How many hundreds of hours does that mean he's had to get better at it?  One has to wonder, having done as many hours of podcasting as he has, if he's the same John Dehlin now that he was then (minus the doctorate), does he even want to get better at it?  Perhaps I'm simply being unfair, but I do have to wonder (especially if it really is true that he could boil a three-hour podcast down to five minutes and not lose anything ;)).

Edited by Kenngo1969
12 hours ago, bluebell said:

Big ego + big craving for attention/adulation + big pound-of-flesh attitude towards the Church (and, as is becoming more obvious, towards its members and advocates).

We saw the same sort of viciousness from the Tanners 15 or so years ago when they tried to bankrupt FAIR.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
27 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Big ego + pound-of-flesh attitude towards the Church (and, as is becoming more obvious, towards its members and advocates).

We saw the same sort of viciousness from the Tanners 15 or so years ago when they tried to bankrupt FAIR.

Thanks,

-Smac

I'm friends with someone who served his mission with Dehlin, and has a lot of journal entries about him from that time.  Dehlin's had a big ego and a problem with the truth for decades.

14 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I also don't care for the length of his interviews.  Gadzooks!  Hours and hours long, many of them.  Meandering.  And he interjects too much of himself and his hostile opinions into the interviews.  

If he were to A) improve his questioning/interviewing technique, B) edit his interviews for time, and C) ditch the vendetta attitude toward the Church, I'd be more willing to listen to what he has to say.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
28 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I also don't care for the length of his interviews.  Gadzooks!  Hours and hours long, many of them.  Meandering.  And he interjects too much of himself and his hostile opinions into the interviews.  

If he were to A) improve his questioning/interviewing technique, B) edit his interviews for time, and C) ditch the vendetta attitude toward the Church, I'd be more willing to listen to what he has to say.

Thanks,

-Smac

I wish that too. And have on his podcast believing members' stories as well, that would be cool. If his goal at first was to help members stay in the church if they desire, then bring those interviews back. Of course they were few and far in between. And definitely get rid of the hostile interjections too. People need others' stories to know they aren't alone, and to hear they aren't the wicked wolves in sheep's clothing that some members believe we are. Then it could turn out to be a helpful podcast for those that are still in and figuring out their way. I imagine Joseph Smith would bless that route. But we live in reality, so not sure if this would work, since it's mostly ex members that are a bit angry over things they'd not known, so would that be helpful for those trying to hold onto belief.

Edited by Tacenda
14 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I wish that too. And have on his podcast believing members' stories as well, that would be cool.

He has a banner entitled "Understanding Mormonism" on the front page of Mormon*******.***, as well as a big section about "Truth Claims."  I think he's too invested in crafting a narrative hostile to the Church.  

If his goal at first was to help members stay in the church if they desire, then bring those interviews back.

I question whether he ever had that goal.

Of course they were few and far in between. And definitely get rid of the hostile interjections too.

Virtually every interview has hostility to the Church baked into it.  Getting rid of his hostility toward the Church and its members would require him to shut down Mormon Stories.

People need others' stories to know they aren't alone, and to hear they aren't the wicked wolves in sheep's clothing that some members believe we are.

Mormon Stories is chockablock full of horrible stories, characterizations, accusations, etc. against the Church, its leaders, its members, its doctrines, everything.  From Dehlin's perspective, the Church is irredeemably awful, even evil.

Then it could turn out to be a helpful podcast for those that are still in and figuring out their way. I imagine Joseph Smith would bless that route.

Joseph Smith said that the Latter-day Saints are "the best people under the heavens; little do they know the trials that await them."

John Dehlin's website paints us, our beliefs, our community, as hopelessly awful, depraved and so on.

I think John Dehlin and people who join him in endlessly defaming and attacking and working to undermine the Church and its members are part of "the trials" referenced by Joseph.

But we live in reality, so not sure if this would work, since it's mostly ex members that are a bit angry over things they'd not known, so would that be helpful for those trying to hold onto belief.

The "angry over things they'd not known" is becoming an increasingly implausible scenario in which the Church is to be blamed.

Thanks,

-Smac

A couple of new videos. Not sure who put out the second, the first one I'm looking forward to listening to. I remember years ago a friend of my husband and I, told us about the show "Heart of the Matter, and I tuned into it for the next show. Shawn almost got me into another faith and got me hyped up with being more a "Jesus Lover" type person. While watching one of the shows, it's a call-in show, I heard our friend's voice ask Shawn a question on air, lol, I didn't tell him I knew. I think he wasn't happy with Shawn and what he was saying about the LDS church. So that's why I'm interested in hearing what Shawn says, Shawn has not come full circle and come back to the church, but he's less critical of the church now.

Edited by Tacenda

@smac97

image.thumb.png.d5c343c620b02911bff30dbce8fc8692.png

Smac97:

I question whether he ever had that goal.

If I'm not mistaken, he is the originator of the "Stay LDS" Web site.

http://www.staylds.com/

Perhaps his views have evolved.  (In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that it's a virtual certainty.)

12 hours ago, smac97 said:

The podcasts would be literally 90 seconds long if John were to take up your advice.

I'm not surprised actual scholars have started avoiding his podcast.  It is insulting to interview a guest when you haven't invested any time/effort in becoming acquainted with their work.

Much easier to do a non-stop onslaught of "the Church is bad" stories.

Also, noticed that John has bragged this week bragged about causing a current missionary to lose his faith.  Way to THRIVE John.  Way to thrive.  

34 minutes ago, Ipod Touch said:

Also, noticed that John has bragged this week bragged about causing a current missionary to lose his faith.

Link, please. I went to his Facebook page, and the only new thing I can see is a post labelling the Church a 'cult' and soliciting videos of how the Church and/or apologetic sites have harmed people's families ...

13 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Link, please. I went to his Facebook page, and the only new thing I can see is a post labelling the Church a 'cult' and soliciting videos of how the Church and/or apologetic sites have harmed people's families ...

So much for "StayLDS" ... <_<:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Tacenda said:

A couple of new videos. Not sure who put out the second, the first one I'm looking forward to listening to. I remember years ago a friend of my husband and I, told us about the show "Heart of the Matter, and I tuned into it for the next show. Shawn almost got me into another faith and got me hyped up with being more a "Jesus Lover" type person. While watching one of the shows, it's a call-in show, I heard our friend's voice ask Shawn a question on air, lol, I didn't tell him I knew. I think he wasn't happy with Shawn and what he was saying about the LDS church. So that's why I'm interested in hearing what Shawn says, Shawn has not come full circle and come back to the church, but he's less critical of the church now.

The video interview with Shawn was both interesting and friendly.  It strikes me because Mormons have always been separate from the broader ecumenical Christian community and we don't tend to see these types of positive interactions. 

Phaedrus 

3 hours ago, CV75 said:

I think "Stay" is the operative word, as in "Cease" and "Stop"!

Ohhh ... now I get it!  Thanks for clearing up my confusion.