Seriously No Politics ×

Fair Mormon's new YouTube branding strategy

Just now, ttribe said:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit Exhibit 14 in support of the notion that some defenders will literally defend anything. In short, the ends justify the means and principles are far less important than winning.  

Yup. I’ll even defend a funny self deprecating joke. Call 911. 

1 hour ago, ttribe said:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit Exhibit 14 in support of the notion that some defenders will literally defend anything. In short, the ends justify the means and principles are far less important than winning.  

Another face palm from me. That Juliann is one of those who will defend anything put out by FM or maybe the Church or whatever.  Have you been paying attention?  

Edited by Calm
11 minutes ago, cinepro said:

My objection to the Basterds video wasn't based on the assumption that Dehlin was a private individual and should have special protections from ridicule.

My objection is based on the assumption (fact?) that he is a human being.

I'm not a huge fan of John Dehlin. I know that he's helped some people stay in, but not the majority, especially when he has all of the podcasts that don't help one stay in and faithful. He also puts up "MormonStories" billboards along the freeways. I've never supported him financially either. But you're right, he's a human. And as LDS we are taught to do better.  

8 minutes ago, juliann said:

He very obviously thinks he should. His job is to dispense it not receive it. 

Meanwhile, can someone start a new thread to do nothing but condemn that despicable meme (not to mention the movie)? I’ll make the first entry.  Then we can all put a link in our tag lines and keep this thread open for discussion rather than board nannying. Getting old....

You don't think you board nanny? I'm shaking in my boots right now quoting you. Wish I was joking. 

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

You don't think you board nanny? I'm shaking in my boots right now quoting you. Wish I was joking. 

Me too. It would be more bearable. You are usually bringing over every piece of fake news you can find in your critic sites. No matter how many times it is explained to you. 

On 12/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, Nemesis said:

Yes to the lockdown and also how this kind of topic irritates me.  If critics are allowed to manage our reactions to their treatment of what’s important/sacred to LDS then we lose control of our narrative.  For years I have gotten emails and messages from both critics and members of the church admonishing me for this site.  The don’t understand the importance of having a site like this available where we control the balance while allowing differing point of views to not be easily drowned out.  

Again I think if Fairmormon succumbs to the critics/members telling them how to present content we are going to be pigeon holed and stuck to presentations we would get in gospel doctrine class. 

nemesis 

Strongly agree.

4 minutes ago, mgy401 said:

All I know is, Dallin Oaks—who in all likelihood makes less money than John Dehlin—can’t go anywhere in public without having a security guy in tow.

John Dehlin, AFAIK, can.

Well, I’m sure Dehlin is condemning all of his minions who engage in hate speech and make disgusting memes with Oaks face on it, right? 

1 hour ago, juliann said:

Well, I’m sure Dehlin is condemning all of his minions who engage in hate speech and make disgusting memes with Oaks face on it, right? 

Well John and exmos are experts at shutting up LDS when they are the brunt of the joke so I’m sure if they keep screaming loudly LDS will cave in.  I hope not. 

**disclaimer please see pinned thread on top of this folder so you know I’m am not condoning violence towards anyone.  Just addressing the original catalyst of all this outrage.  

John Dehlin had a podcast today referring to these videos and how the Church is advocating violence against him and others like him by donating funds to Fair Mormon and More Good Foundation.
It is about at the 35:00 mark in the podcast.

Link Removed

Edited by Nemesis
The board isn’t into giving John any traffic. People that are interested know where to find Dehlin Drama.
2 hours ago, juliann said:

He very obviously thinks he should. His job is to dispense it not receive it. ...

Yep.  Again, I'm not condoning what Kwaku and Co. did, but Mr. Dehlin can dish it out, but he can't take it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kenngo1969
5 hours ago, juliann said:

So you think FM is supposed to monitor the twitter and FB feeds of everyone who has ever done something for them? Wouldn't that be a little...creepy? Any comment should be about their own stuff.

Hardly.

I just thought that perhaps someone who knew how to get in touch with FM might let them know. If it were me, I'd hope someone would tell me.

But if you say that's unreasonable I won't argue with you. Perhaps they are totally unaware of what's going on.

34 minutes ago, JAHS said:

John Dehlin had a podcast today referring to these videos and how the Church is advocating violence against him and others like him by donating funds to Fair Mormon and More Good Foundation.
It is about at the 35:00 mark in the podcast.

Link Removed

Oh, please! :rolleyes::P "I think it's reprehensible of you to advocate violence against me, Kwaku.  By the way, can I come on your show?" :rolleyes:

Apparently, Mr. Dehlin is hard at work attempting to solicit condemnation of anyone who has ever had any association with FAIRMormon whatsoever, anyone who currently has any such association, and apparently (by peering into Madame Zorba's crystal ball) anyone who might have any such association in the future, for Kwaku & Co.'s little spot.  "Yes, yes.  Okay.  So you've never had any association with FAIRMormon, never contributed any money to the organization, but ... you've heard of the organization, right?  Okay, that's good enough for me: You're reprehensible!" :rolleyes:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2020/12/my-connection-with-some-controversial-recent-videos.html

6 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Apparently, Mr. Dehlin is hard at work attempting to solicit condemnation of anyone who has ever had any association with FAIRMormon whatsoever, anyone who currently has any such association, and apparently (by peering into Madame Zorba's crystal ball) anyone who might have any such association in the future, for Kwaku & Co.'s little spot.  "Yes, yes.  Okay.  So you've never had any association with FAIRMormon, never contributed any money to the organization, but ... you've heard of the organization, right?  Okay, that's good enough for me: You're reprehensible!" :rolleyes:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2020/12/my-connection-with-some-controversial-recent-videos.html

Wouldn’t that include himself?

13 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

So what’s new. That is his standard fare. I find it odd that he would think any of his audience are donating to orgs that defend the church. But great fund raiser him. And right before Christmas.

So has he set up a podcast date with these guys he said are so talented? 

34 minutes ago, Malc said:

Hardly.

I just thought that perhaps someone who knew how to get in touch with FM might let them know. If it were me, I'd hope someone would tell me.

But if you say that's unreasonable I won't argue with you. Perhaps they are totally unaware of what's going on.

FM is well aware. We have a poster here who is a member who has told us how inundated they are with emails. 

2 minutes ago, juliann said:

... So has he set up a podcast date with these guys he said are so talented? 

Hmmm.  I dunno. :unknw:  Stay tuned.  I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Hardly.

I am a member of FM. Juliann is a founder of FM. (Retired)

We are much more aware of what is going on than most here. 

Edited by Nemesis
9 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Well John and exmos are experts at shutting up LDS when they are the brunt of the joke so I’m sure if they keep screaming loudly LDS will cave in.  I hope not. 

**disclaimer please see pinned thread on top of this folder so you know I’m am not condoning violence towards anyone.  Just addressing the original catalyst of all this outrage.  

There is a fundamental difference between what flows from a center of religious-social-political power and what flows from those who resist it. 

Any church-supported influencer merits more scrutiny because of that, simply because of the innate power of the church.

Please don't forget that church versus exmos are not equivalent opposing forces.

Edited by Meadowchik
1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

There is a fundamental difference between what flows from a center of religious-social-political power and what flows from those who resist it. 

Any church-supported influencer merits more scrutiny because of that, simply because of the innate power of the church.

Please don't forget that church versus exmos are not equivalent opposing forces.

How is this board or FM church supported?

8 hours ago, Calm said:

I am a member of FM. Juliann is a founder of FM. (Retired)

We are much more aware of what is going on than most here. 

Would you please summarize what is going on: the relationship between "the show" and FairMormon, and if there is any level of selection/review/approval/oversight for the show content and presenters, and how that is done --thank you!

51 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

Church assets support the More Good Foundation which supports FAIR. That is my understanding.

This is being inflated so much. Please don’t believe everything Dehlin is speculating about.