Jump to content

Address by Pres. Nelson on 11/20/20 - "The Healing Power of Gratitude"


smac97

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, rchorse said:

I'm grateful for your post. As someone with many family members that have battled and still battle depression and anxiety, I share your gratitude for the atonement of Jesus Christ and the resurrection. It is truly a miracle.

I wish I could give you rep points.

Thanks!

Link to post
9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

This sounds kinda mean.

If he's willing to participate, given the parameters of the thread, he's welcome.  There's no reason, however, why the powers-that-be on a Los Angeles Lakers forum should allow me to crash their party by demanding that denizens in that corner of cyberspace swear fealty to the Utah Jazz.

Link to post
6 hours ago, AzMadrileño said:

I'm so grateful for my lovely wife! For more than 20 years she suffered the debilitating effects of serious depression. She attempted suicide a couple of times and was hospitalized many times. Through the loving kindness and personal, one on one ministering over the course many years and ultimately through the atonement of Jesus Christ, she has been healed. The transformation was slow in the beginning but once the light came back on, the healing process picked up speed. I loved who she was when we were married 41 years ago. I think we've witnessed a small glimpse of the miracle of the resurrection will be for us. 

That's awesome!  I'm sure I know nothing of what your wife has been through, but the dog of clinical depression has alternated between nipping at my heels and threatening to devour me whole for longer than I care to admit.  My life has a sometimes-maddening ebb-and-flow to it.  I seem to go through life leading with my chin, daring life to pop me a good one.  If nothing else, I've proven that I can take a punch! :D:rofl::D

  • Upvote 2
Link to post

Today I'm grateful that my mom's health has improved a little and that my son finally got to call yesterday after over a month. The last time he called, I told him he better call Grandma because she was at the ER and was violently ill. I wasn't sure if that call would be good bye or not. It was so good to be able to tell him that she had improved. Not long after her ER trip, my dad said she couldn't be left alone and that he needed me to come over while he had chemo all day. She could barely walk without major struggle between her fatigue and shortness of breath from her lung disease. It was my first time in their house in 8 months and I went over there with two masks on and ate outside. She almost never has an appetite and is under 90 pounds. My siblings and I started discussing how to handle this and how a nursing home would mean saying good bye, probably neglect, and her dying alone.

Her ward started bringing meals and plan on continuing this so she can stay in her home. The other day my parents stopped by with some milk and she actually got out of the car and stood for a while, which was amazing. I'm hoping she will continue to get stronger. She's in her early 70's, so still quite young. She has suffered so much and told me many times that she doesn't want to be here anymore. Things could change tomorrow, but I'm grateful for the slightest relief for her. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

Today I'm grateful that my mom's health has improved a little and that my son finally got to call yesterday after over a month. The last time he called, I told him he better call Grandma because she was at the ER and was violently ill. I wasn't sure if that call would be good bye or not. It was so good to be able to tell him that she had improved. Not long after her ER trip, my dad said she couldn't be left alone and that he needed me to come over while he had chemo all day. She could barely walk without major struggle between her fatigue and shortness of breath from her lung disease. It was my first time in their house in 8 months and I went over there with two masks on and ate outside. She almost never has an appetite and is under 90 pounds. My siblings and I started discussing how to handle this and how a nursing home would mean saying good bye, probably neglect, and her dying alone.

Her ward started bringing meals and plan on continuing this so she can stay in her home. The other day my parents stopped by with some milk and she actually got out of the car and stood for a while, which was amazing. I'm hoping she will continue to get stronger. She's in her early 70's, so still quite young. She has suffered so much and told me many times that she doesn't want to be here anymore. Things could change tomorrow, but I'm grateful for the slightest relief for her. 

It's tough to watch your parents suffer.  I wish you well, and I wish you and your Mom the absolute best.

  • Like 2
Link to post
4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It is caving. If we cannot be happy for others who have something we do not (even if there is a spike of pain) then is there anything redeemable in us? Do I envy my siblings who have spouses and families? Yeah? Am I also happy for them? Yeah. Do I want them to feel they cannot be around me and experience joy in what they have? Dealing with our own pain without using it to suck joy out of the Universe is (I suspect) one of life’s tests.

Yes, there is still something redeemable about us.  It's ok to pull back when the pain is too great that we can't feel happy for others.  It's not ok to squelch their joy though. Hopefully at some point we can feel the redeeming arms of the atonement to feel happy for them.

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
13 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

If he's willing to participate, given the parameters of the thread, he's welcome.  There's no reason, however, why the powers-that-be on a Los Angeles Lakers forum should allow me to crash their party by demanding that denizens in that corner of cyberspace swear fealty to the Utah Jazz.

Okay, way over my head there! But why on this board do the LDS show some claws, but in church they are nice and sweet. Just let Stem blow off steam for a bit, does it hurt? What happened to turn the other cheek. I understand that if he breaks rules then he must be "banned". But words mean a lot and even "banned" is triggering, but "kicked-off", just sounds mean.

Link to post
37 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Okay, way over my head there! But why on this board do the LDS show some claws, but in church they are nice and sweet. Just let Stem blow off steam for a bit, does it hurt? What happened to turn the other cheek. I understand that if he breaks rules then he must be "banned". But words mean a lot and even "banned" is triggering, but "kicked-off", just sounds mean.

This is a religious board, dedicated to perspectives on faith.  There are those of a more skeptical bent who, despite their skepticism, understand that, and, as a result of that understanding, do not, e.g., attempt to "proselyte" people to abandon their faith, and there are those who are determined to foist their perspective on others without showing due regard for the Board's fundamental purpose.  Stemelbow's problem is that, too often, he falls into the latter category.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It is caving. If we cannot be happy for others who have something we do not (even if there is a spike of pain) then is there anything redeemable in us? Do I envy my siblings who have spouses and families? Yeah? Am I also happy for them? Yeah. Do I want them to feel they cannot be around me and experience joy in what they have? Dealing with our own pain without using it to suck joy out of the Universe is (I suspect) one of life’s tests.

Thankfully, we are still redeemable, even when our weaknesses or struggles take control for a time.  We have to fight against the idea that we have to always do the right thing or feel the right thing in order to be redeemable.  

But I get what you are saying and there is wisdom in it.  We do have to fight the urge to suck the joy out of other people's happiness sometimes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

why on this board do the LDS show some claws, but in church they are nice and sweet.

Do people keep trashing the Church in church?  I suspect if they did, some at least would lose patience over it.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

then is there anything redeemable in us?

I am grateful that even if so self centered in our pain, justified or self-inflated, that we want others to suffer as well, we are still redeemable in our grief or anger or bitterness because the infinite Atonement covers even selfishness...though sometimes I wish I could be even more grateful that God was a bit more proactive in waking up others to seeing this type of toxic behaviour in themselves. (Of course, I don’t need such help from him for myself due to my level of self awareness  ;) )

Link to post
11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It is caving. If we cannot be happy for others who have something we do not (even if there is a spike of pain) then is there anything redeemable in us? Do I envy my siblings who have spouses and families? Yeah? Am I also happy for them? Yeah. Do I want them to feel they cannot be around me and experience joy in what they have? Dealing with our own pain without using it to suck joy out of the Universe is (I suspect) one of life’s tests.

Seeing that others have what I do not have is one of my main motivators for improving my life, at least when what they have is something I want for myself, so I am thankful when I have moments like that.  Otherwise I might not even know what I am missing out on or that those things are out there to be had.  Like when I saw some guy driving around in a nice new pickup truck which motivated me, and still motivates me, to get one for myself.  IO know money can't buy happiness but it will buy me a new truck and a boat and some other nice things that would improve the quality of my life and living conditions.  Now I just need to sell my house so that I will then have the money it takes for me to buy those things.

Link to post
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I apologize for the hyperbole. When I said "anything redeemable" I meant in that sentiment at that time and did not mean to forecast the imminent damnation of all others.

I come from a family of boatowners down four generations and want to give a helpful reminder:

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand

I am not saying do not buy a boat. They can be great fun but only if you can afford the boat and the ongoing upkeep and maintenance. They are expensive.

Quote

boat bōt (n):

A large hole in the surface of the water, into which money is thrown.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
On 11/23/2020 at 10:42 AM, Tacenda said:

The posts I've mentioned haven't hurt me, but like the meme mentions I wonder who it could hurt. Could it hurt those w/o children, who lost children such as miscarriage. Or those that are single, and struggling to find their "perfect mate and family".

My wife has a good friend who, unfortunately, has decided to take it this way. She and her husband have been struggling with being able to have children naturally, and she has decided to personalize all of her friends' posts about being grateful for their children as a way of rubbing her nose in her own struggles. 

Frankly, I think she's missing the point of the exercise. 

While it's true that due to her age and health conditions becoming pregnant naturally is going to be difficult for them, she fails to remember that up until just a few years ago there wasn't a "them" to worry about such things. She was single for quite a while and often doubted whether or not she would ever get married, but then she found a guy who is an absolute perfect match for her. She and her husband both have successful careers, they live in a comfortable home and enjoy more than their share of first world amenities. 

When I hear people like this complain about how hard their life is, I want to just scream. I know that's maybe not the Christlike thing to do. I should probably be more empathetic, but it's difficult for me to be that way when I know there are quite literally MILLIONS of people on this planet who would love to change places with them - in a heartbeat. 

I'm reminded of the verse from D&C which says, "And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments." (emphasis added)

To those who find it difficult to recognize the blessings in their own life, I would encourage them to go back and watch President Nelson's message again, and then do what he actually asks: spend some time over the next week thinking about what you have to be grateful for. If you do that, rather than focusing on what you don't have or what you wish you had, you will find yourself much happier - the choice is yours.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
41 minutes ago, Amulek said:

My wife has a good friend who, unfortunately, has decided to take it this way. She and her husband have been struggling with being able to have children naturally, and she has decided to personalize all of her friends' posts about being grateful for their children as a way of rubbing her nose in her own struggles. 

Frankly, I think she's missing the point of the exercise. 

While it's true that due to her age and health conditions becoming pregnant naturally is going to be difficult for them, she fails to remember that up until just a few years ago there wasn't a "them" to worry about such things. She was single for quite a while and often doubted whether or not she would ever get married, but then she found a guy who is an absolute perfect match for her. She and her husband both have successful careers, they live in a comfortable home and enjoy more than their share of first world amenities. 

When I hear people like this complain about how hard their life is, I want to just scream. I know that's maybe not the Christlike thing to do. I should probably be more empathetic, but it's difficult for me to be that way when I know there are quite literally MILLIONS of people on this planet who would love to change places with them - in a heartbeat. 

I'm reminded of the verse from D&C which says, "And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments." (emphasis added)

To those who find it difficult to recognize the blessings in their own life, I would encourage them to go back and watch President Nelson's message again, and then do what he actually asks: spend some time over the next week thinking about what you have to be grateful for. If you do that, rather than focusing on what you don't have or what you wish you had, you will find yourself much happier - the choice is yours.

 

 

The most important thing to remember is that she is at the moment unable to have children, until you go through that, I haven't but have a close niece that has, we shouldn't think other aspects of her life such as a nice home and good careers will ever take the place of having a child to her. But I don't know her and she's got the old tunnel vision at this time. Hopefully in time, she'll come to accept it or maybe adopt, which is what my niece did twice. 

BTW, I love a few of the hashtag "give thanks" posts and defend them all the time to my husband who thinks it's a brag fest. He thinks the members will do whatever the prophet tells them. I enjoyed recently a post from my cousin where she posted old photos of my uncle who owned a small town drive-in diner. I remember visiting and loving the bar stools and counter and the smells. He died early from Alzheimer's so posts like that are wonderful for me. 

Then I read on another board that the church has lots of stock in Facebook and their jaded look at it was that the stock goes up with the how many hashtag posts there are, not sure how true. But I neglected to remind the poster that not too long ago Pres Nelson asked the members to take a social media fast for 7 days, haha. 

I still get the ones that are showing the wealth, the luxury, the many perfect families and children, the toys and home gyms. I did move from a wealthy ward, so maybe that's why and they can't help it.

One gal in my current neighborhood's hashtag "give thanks" are novels about her struggles throughout her life though. And she is quite talented at writing. So maybe a lot of people are happier when giving thanks and that is what Pres Nelson was after.

One post came from my mom's cousin who is elderly and she posted: Gratitude: "Thankful people are happy people." I am thankful for so many messages from happy people. #givethanks

I guess that is it in a nutshell! 

Link to post

I’m grateful for my boat, even though it is often the Sunday school topic of derision. 
 

😉

and I’m grateful today that I have my first complete day off of 2020. I understand that some readers may have a negative reaction to that, in that I’m plain lucky to have an income in 2020. I’m also grateful I have employment.  It’s both/and.  Some days I’m drowning-today I can breathe. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m grateful for my boat, even though it is often the Sunday school topic of derision. 
 

😉

and I’m grateful today that I have my first complete day off of 2020. I understand that some readers may have a negative reaction to that, in that I’m plain lucky to have an income in 2020. I’m also grateful I have employment.  It’s both/and.  Some days I’m drowning-today I can breathe. 

You are right.  So many of these things could go either way.  It's really in how you look at it.  

I have citrus and fig trees.  I can choose to be grateful for the fruit we get from them or irritated by the roof rats that like the fruit as well.  I am grateful for the fruit and the shade they give my yard.

And I'm glad you are thankful for your boat! I'm thankful for my swimming pool!

Link to post
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

The most important thing to remember is that she is at the moment unable to have children, until you go through that, I haven't but have a close niece that has, we shouldn't think other aspects of her life such as a nice home and good careers will ever take the place of having a child to her. But I don't know her and she's got the old tunnel vision at this time. Hopefully in time, she'll come to accept it or maybe adopt, which is what my niece did twice. 

BTW, I love a few of the hashtag "give thanks" posts and defend them all the time to my husband who thinks it's a brag fest. He thinks the members will do whatever the prophet tells them. I enjoyed recently a post from my cousin where she posted old photos of my uncle who owned a small town drive-in diner. I remember visiting and loving the bar stools and counter and the smells. He died early from Alzheimer's so posts like that are wonderful for me. 

How sweet. 💓 I'm glad it is working that way for you.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Then I read on another board that the church has lots of stock in Facebook and their jaded look at it was that the stock goes up with the how many hashtag posts there are, not sure how true. But I neglected to remind the poster that not too long ago Pres Nelson asked the members to take a social media fast for 7 days, haha. 

I still get the ones that are showing the wealth, the luxury, the many perfect families and children, the toys and home gyms. I did move from a wealthy ward, so maybe that's why and they can't help it.

Or maybe another way to look at it: it's good they are grateful for those things rather than take them as a given.  They may be even more grateful if they have experience with those who don't have much. 

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

One gal in my current neighborhood's hashtag "give thanks" are novels about her struggles throughout her life though. And she is quite talented at writing. So maybe a lot of people are happier when giving thanks and that is what Pres Nelson was after.

One post came from my mom's cousin who is elderly and she posted: Gratitude: "Thankful people are happy people." I am thankful for so many messages from happy people. #givethanks

I guess that is it in a nutshell! 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post


16 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I come from a family of boatowners down four generations and want to give a helpful reminder:

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand

I am not saying do not buy a boat. They can be great fun but only if you can afford the boat and the ongoing upkeep and maintenance. They are expensive.

Kind of like a Jaquar (XJ6) I once had, I suppose.  It was not only a car to ride in sometimes but also a hobby to work on, which of course also required parts and money to pay for the parts and labor.

Kind of like a house, too, come to think of it, which is also an expensive hobby, at least for me and my wife because of all of the things we wanted and still want to have as part of our house and landscape.

But now we're selling our house and with all of the money we'll be getting from it in this hot market there will be some other things we will be able to get and be thankful for.  And we will also be thankful for all of our money and what it will provide for us.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

The most important thing to remember is that she is at the moment unable to have children, until you go through that, I haven't but have a close niece that has, we shouldn't think other aspects of her life such as a nice home and good careers will ever take the place of having a child to her. But I don't know her and she's got the old tunnel vision at this time. Hopefully in time, she'll come to accept it or maybe adopt, which is what my niece did twice.  guess that is it in a nutshell! 

You helped to remind me of something else I am thankful for.  My knowledge of the gospel and how everything will work out in the end.

My wife and I were not and still are not now able to have our own biological children together but we both know we will be able to do that when we are resurrected and exalted with all of the blessings we will qualify for if we remain faithful to God.

For now in this life we do have 2 of her biological children from her first marriage and one of those boys/men is now married and he and his wife recently gave birth to our first grand child, their first child, a daughter.  And we are thankful for all of them.

And we know that this is only the tip of an eternally large iceberg, so to speak.  We look around and see others who have many more of their own children than we do, and grand and great children too, but at least we know we will be able to have just as many.

And we are thankful for our knowledge that eternal progression is not a race.  We know some started before us and have more than we do but just because they have more now doesn't mean we can't have as much as they do now later.,

There will always be those who are ahead of others as well as those who are behind some others in various ways, but that does nothing to prevent everyone from having an eternal increase.  And we are very thankful for all of it.

Link to post
31 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Hope this isn't offensive, I thought it was pretty funny. :) I in no way believe all of the posts with hashtag #givethanks is like this. 

 

Thank you for your service in posting this.

Link to post

Somehow I've ended up in the Mormon Stories Facebook group, and if anyone ever needs evidence for mental illness among former members of the Church, their reactions to this could be exhibit A.

I think the theory du jour is that this is a plan by President Nelson to increase his control over Church members during the pandemic, with an additional dose of gaslighting thrown in...because it's always "gaslighting."

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...