Address by Pres. Nelson on 11/20/20 - "The Healing Power of Gratitude"

42 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

grateful that my husband can use his legs again following surger

That is fantastic. I am grateful for modern miracles like both my daughter and daughter in law being able to be cared for through thyroid surgery, for family that shares each other’s burdens and mourns and celebrates together life and death in all its variations. 

• Like 1

I am grateful for those who believe in the power of gratitude.

I am grateful for my family.

For those of you who appropriate the thread topic to express your hurt, I am grateful you are here to let others know that you are hurting, and I pray we can be of solace and help.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, JamesBYoung said:

I am grateful for those who believe in the power of gratitude.

I am grateful for my family.

For those of you who appropriate the thread topic to express your hurt, I am grateful you are here to let others know that you are hurting, and I pray we can be of solace and help.

👍

41 minutes ago, Rain said:

My family is scattered in 6 different states across the country.  We have not been together for the holidays for years.  Some of us will go to someone's house, but holidays never have all of us.

So I am grateful for covid just for the fact that it has taught us how to gather together even if we are not physically there.  I said this in the covid thread, but some may not have seen this.

On of our family traditions is to have 3 kernals of popcorn on out plates.  Then as we share something we are grateful for we remove one from our plate.  We go around in a circle till we have done it 3 times.  This year we will all be doing it on zoom and having a family prayer.  Hopefully we will also get the 2 missionaries at the same time.  Then we can either click off and eat on our own immediate families or we can stay with the rest of the family and do a zoom meal.   

Thank heavens for Zoom!

On 11/22/2020 at 4:33 AM, juliann said:

So original. Exmo hangouts thought this was a hilarious troll that they all should engage in. Rather telling And not in a happy way but each to their own. 

I'm grateful for exmo spaces, and this one. Each one is like a hospital and though I don't want to live in a hospital, my life is enriched because of them all.

• Like 1

I like the following memes below. I have several FB friends that are blasting the feed with things like this..."I'm grateful for this man"...and then they'll post several photos of their husbands and them on vacations, and on their toys (boats, ATV's and a 50,000 dollar decked out Dodge Challenger(I know this couple with the Dodge, because we go out with them on occasion) these are a few of actual examples. Then the posts of their families. One of my FB friends, mostly from my former ward, said she's so grateful for "this perfect family!". One of my former neighbors posted that she is grateful for her humble home and a fixed up family cabin. Both were large and very nice, not humble or shabby. I'm a FB reader because I believe it connects me to friends/family I wouldn't otherwise be connected to. The posts I've mentioned haven't hurt me, but like the meme mentions I wonder who it could hurt. Could it hurt those w/o children, who lost children such as miscarriage. Or those that are single, and struggling to find their "perfect mate and family". Could the photos with luxury vacations, and toys hurt those that are struggling financially to put food on the table. Or families that are suffering with marital problems, or children that are having issues etc. 

I'm not downing feeling grateful, but don't understand why the message by Pres. Nelson, causes those on social media to have to do 7 days of giving thanks. I think the memes below sound more Christlike to me. Sorry if this comes across as "a debby downer" but I believe it's something to think about.

127149276_10157391536986965_4178307007188072911_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=UrWDuI6BzSsAX9uUuUV&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=92e266aa800d69963f39266b8cbdbeb6&oe=5FE25699

127118345_10157391539176965_8375822634020654334_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=3gED_VyDWXcAX_UQQ_Q&_nc_oc=AQkoPV2SszJ7-xlzs_huEsboPHcwrouNs1xiV4wztuJRBNZKK_iTovqeKG5-UZ7IQHqYEsXQH1cEHwQwiE9odvMl&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=93e18c1dc481f61a2075ebecba3625b8&oe=5FE0A19A

Edited by Tacenda
On 11/21/2020 at 9:44 PM, Nemesis said:

I’ve kicked him out of the thread.  No need to address him anymore. 

Nemesis

This sounds kinda mean.

9 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I agree with what you are saying Tacenda, and I also struggle with it.  It's hard to find the line between sharing gratitude for what you perceive as your greatest blessings and not making someone else feel bad because they haven't been blessed with the same things. 

I've read people say that even if only one person is hurt by something that we do then that is enough justification to stop doing it.  That sounds good on paper but I think it completely falls a part in application.  If someone is hurt because you got pregnant when they couldn't, does that mean that you shouldn't try to get pregnant?  If someone is hurt because you bore your testimony about Christ, does that mean you should never bear your testimony again?  If someone is hurt by the idea of a prophet of God asking us to show gratitude, does that mean that no one should show gratitude?

Where is the line between doing what we believe is best and being held hostage by other people's insecurities and personal baggage?  I'm sure the line is there but I don't know a reliable way to find it.

Also true. It's a hard line isn't it? Or so fuzzy, where we never know whom we hurt with our actions. I guess if I'd just posted the memes, that's enough said. 

54 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

This sounds kinda mean.

He's just letting people know that there is no reason to quote him or respond to his posts because he can't read them or reply back.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I like the following memes below. I have several FB friends that are blasting the feed with things like this..."I'm grateful for this man"...and then they'll post several photos of their husbands and them on vacations, and on their toys (boats, ATV's and a 50,000 dollar decked out Dodge Challenger(I know this couple with the Dodge, because we go out with them on occasion) these are a few of actual examples. Then the posts of their families. One of my FB friends, mostly from my former ward, said she's so grateful for "this perfect family!". One of my former neighbors posted that she is grateful for her humble home and a fixed up family cabin. Both were large and very nice, not humble or shabby. I'm a FB reader because I believe it connects me to friends/family I wouldn't otherwise be connected to. The posts I've mentioned haven't hurt me, but like the meme mentions I wonder who it could hurt. Could it hurt those w/o children, who lost children such as miscarriage. Or those that are single, and struggling to find their "perfect mate and family". Could the photos with luxury vacations, and toys hurt those that are struggling financially to put food on the table. Or families that are suffering with marital problems, or children that are having issues etc. 

I'm grateful that I don't have to worry about all the having too much money.  We're comfortably middle class.  I have two sisters whose husbands do very well.  One handles it well, the other lets it get to her head at times.  I'm glad I don't have to worry about that because I don't know how well I'd do.

• Like 1

I'm so grateful for my lovely wife! For more than 20 years she suffered the debilitating effects of serious depression. She attempted suicide a couple of times and was hospitalized many times. Through the loving kindness and personal, one on one ministering over the course many years and ultimately through the atonement of Jesus Christ, she has been healed. The transformation was slow in the beginning but once the light came back on, the healing process picked up speed. I loved who she was when we were married 41 years ago. I think we've witnessed a small glimpse of the miracle of the resurrection will be for us. 

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm not downing feeling grateful, but don't understand why the message by Pres. Nelson, causes those on social media to have to do 7 days of giving thanks.

It is a good-faith exercise with promised results. Not everyone is good at it, but the Lord's grace will attend those who try and those who bear the brunt of offense.

"I am grateful for those who put up with my weakness and call out my pride. I am grateful for better examples than I."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, AzMadrileño said:

I'm so grateful for my lovely wife! For more than 20 years she suffered the debilitating effects of serious depression. She attempted suicide a couple of times and was hospitalized many times. Through the loving kindness and personal, one on one ministering over the course many years and ultimately through the atonement of Jesus Christ, she has been healed. The transformation was slow in the beginning but once the light came back on, the healing process picked up speed. I loved who she was when we were married 41 years ago. I think we've witnessed a small glimpse of the miracle of the resurrection will be for us. 

I'm grateful for your post. As someone with many family members that have battled and still battle depression and anxiety, I share your gratitude for the atonement of Jesus Christ and the resurrection. It is truly a miracle.

I wish I could give you rep points.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm not downing feeling grateful, but don't understand why the message by Pres. Nelson, causes those on social media to have to do 7 days of giving thanks. I think the memes below sound more Christlike to me. Sorry if this comes across as "a debby downer" but I believe it's something to think about.

127149276_10157391536986965_4178307007188072911_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=UrWDuI6BzSsAX9uUuUV&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=92e266aa800d69963f39266b8cbdbeb6&oe=5FE25699

127118345_10157391539176965_8375822634020654334_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=3gED_VyDWXcAX_UQQ_Q&_nc_oc=AQkoPV2SszJ7-xlzs_huEsboPHcwrouNs1xiV4wztuJRBNZKK_iTovqeKG5-UZ7IQHqYEsXQH1cEHwQwiE9odvMl&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=93e18c1dc481f61a2075ebecba3625b8&oe=5FE0A19A

Years ago I sat with a group of women who I had worked closely on with a project and their husbands.  We were eating dinner together and sharing how the project had gone and other things going on in our lives.

I will never forget how one of the husbands decided he would start a gratitude journal about a year before.  That year their family went through some very rough things.  What he said touched me.

"This year some might say we had a bad year. I went through the journal a little while ago and discovered it was a very good year.  We were so blessed!"

I don't like Mother's Day.  I'm not shy about saying that.  I wasn't sure if I could have kids for awhile.  I have mourned for the women who can't since then.  There is such a hyper, glaring focus on moms that day.

But I'm ok with this give thanks.  I may have the blessing of having kids.  You may have the blessing of wealth.  Sister Smith may have the blessing of a beautiful voice.  Someone else may have the blessing of hearing a bird in the tree.  

Not all will be moms.  Not all will have wealth, but everyone will have some kind of blessing so everyone can participate.  

And there is something almost magical about counting your blessings.  Something increases endorphins.  Something that helps you feel the Spirit. Or however someone wants to describing it.  

Truly giving thanks lets you breath.  Gets your mind away from what's wrong for a little bit. Turns bad years into good as you look back at how blessed you were.  

I'm all about mourning with those who mourn.  I'm all about being aware of others.  I'm ok with other people sharing their big blessings.  

Funny thing is there has been a HUGE increase from my facebook friends because of this and I'm not opening the notifications for the most part or posting my own.  It may be best for them to post the specific things they are grateful for, but there are better and best things for me to do instead of read all of them.  

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Rain said:

Years ago I sat with a group of women who I had worked closely on with a project and their husbands.  We were eating dinner together and sharing how the project had gone and other things going on in our lives.

I will never forget how one of the husbands decided he would start a gratitude journal about a year before.  That year their family went through some very rough things.  What he said touched me.

"This year some might say we had a bad year. I went through the journal a little while ago and discovered it was a very good year.  We were so blessed!"

I don't like Mother's Day.  I'm not shy about saying that.  I wasn't sure if I could have kids for awhile.  I have mourned for the women who can't since then.  There is such a hyper, glaring focus on moms that day.

But I'm ok with this give thanks.  I may have the blessing of having kids.  You may have the blessing of wealth.  Sister Smith may have the blessing of a beautiful voice.  Someone else may have the blessing of hearing a bird in the tree.  

Not all will be moms.  Not all will have wealth, but everyone will have some kind of blessing so everyone can participate.  

And there is something almost magical about counting your blessings.  Something increases endorphins.  Something that helps you feel the Spirit. Or however someone wants to describing it.  

Truly giving thanks lets you breath.  Gets your mind away from what's wrong for a little bit. Turns bad years into good as you look back at how blessed you were.  

I'm all about mourning with those who mourn.  I'm all about being aware of others.  I'm ok with other people sharing their big blessings.  

Funny thing is there has been a HUGE increase from my facebook friends because of this and I'm not opening the notifications for the most part or posting my own.  It may be best for them to post the specific things they are grateful for, but there are better and best things for me to do instead of read all of them.  

I suspect one of the benefits of doing as President Nelson invited is an increased capacity to mourn with those that mourn.

A quick word search shows "rejoice" 355 times and "mourn" 164 times in the scriptures.

• Like 1

I am grateful/thankful for all of the good things in life including the bad things because the bad things help to challenge me and seem to help to prevent my life from being BORING.