Seriously No Politics ×

Any Florida Residents?

mnn727

13 hours ago, mnn727 said:

My wife and I are moving to Central Florida in about a month - does anyone know what rules the Church is operating under there?

I'll call the Bishop when I know the move in date but wanted to get an idea here first if I could.

I'm sure you know that the important "rules" that the Church operates under should essentially be the same... there may be a few minor local/ward procedures (like if the Elders' Quorum helps people move, etc,) that are unique to the ward... 

GG 

What I am looking for is Covid rules currently in force.

For example, here in Texas we hold Sacrament meeting only, Masks are required, Sacrament bread is in individual cups (like the water). The meeting is broadcast over the internet so anyone not comfortable with attending can still "attend" online from home. The sacrament portion itself is not broadcast, they have it after the meeting so it runs from Ward Business, then opening hymn (played, not sung) then talks, thorough closing hymn (no hymns are sung) and prayer and then the internet broadcast ends and they pass the sacrament.

Speakers take off their mask but then use a sanitizer wipe on the podium when done.

No more than 100 people in the building at once (I think this is a state rule)

Edited by mnn727
5 hours ago, mnn727 said:

What I am looking for is Covid rules currently in force.

For example, here in Texas we hold Sacrament meeting only, Masks are required, Sacrament bread is in individual cups (like the water). The meeting is broadcast over the internet so anyone not comfortable with attending can still "attend" online from home. The sacrament portion itself is not broadcast, they have it after the meeting so it runs from Ward Business, then opening hymn (played, not sung) then talks, thorough closing hymn (no hymns are sung) and prayer and then the internet broadcast ends and they pass the sacrament.

Speakers take off their mask but then use a sanitizer wipe on the podium when done.

No more than 100 people in the building at once (I think this is a state rule)

That is what the current instructions from SLC are (except the number of people in the building), and what happens in this part of FL (which is NOT central FL)

Edited by rpn
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 12:27 PM, mnn727 said:

Condolences?! Its our slice of Heaven - We started out our marriage there and Thank God we can finally move back!

Ha. I'm with sweetpotatoh on this one. Moved to C.FL 30 years ago and where do I start?

There's our 4 seasons: Summer (13 mon), not-Summer (13 min), hurricane and wildfire. Hurricane is about the best of the lot.

Sandspurs, love bugs, no-see-ums, stupid names for things, flesh eating bacteria and the beachless WC coast always smells like low tide. It also smells that way inland too.

In wards where the median age is death you can be decades away from a peer group. Retiree communities are a pleasure - if pleasure is brutally uniform and the front of the property must be covered in grass that is only sustainable thru massive water use and waterway poisoning chemicals.

FL is where recreationally oppressive HOA boards go to retire.

On a positive note, we do have a world class homeless population. Problematic drivers are helpfully highlighted with handicap emblems on their tags. The Villages provides a lot of novel research material on elderly STD transmission.

And we make Ohio look good.

Edited by Chum

I went to FL a couple times about 10 years ago... what I remember was the humidity.   I've lived in cooler climes since 38 years old when we moved to San Fran from So Cal... In 1990 we retired here to the central Oregon coast... so the humidity in FL really hit me when visiting...  We spent our time at the Villages, which is a lovely development with lots of activities.  I noticed we would go from a cool/cold air conditioned store, etc into the heat, particularly in the car where it took a while to cool down...  It's possible I suppose to become acclimated to the heat if living there... much like having to get used to the rain here on the coast... it depends on what you can put up with... for me, I'll take the rain over heat... at least the rain ends, the sun comes out and it is cool and fresh... 

GG

I don’t see how one could get acclimated unless one slowly raised the temp on the air conditioning until only 5-10 degrees less than outside. But the contrast between inside and outside seems massive to me. 

I never would have believed it because I run hot, but it is possible to become acclimated.  I just found it took longer than the 2 years everyone said. It took us about 6 years  More importantly, acclimation doesn't mean you won't feel hot or cold. It just means it doesn't bother you as much.