R.I.P. Alex Trebek (1940-2020)

Stargazer

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Well, he outlived his nemesis Sean Connery.

I was impressed with how he continued doing his thing late into the cancer.

I immediately thought of the SNL skit considering Sean Connery just passed away. I'm wondering if they'll eventually nave a Jeopardy in Heaven skit. 

Never watched it. Call me a grinch but I am so tired of having all day tributes to people who did nothing but appear on TV or in movies. I'm sure he was a great guy but I'd much rather hear about people who actually contributed something meaningful to society. 

Besides the fact he was Canadian, he was involved in a lot of charitable activity, especially World Vision Canada and promoted education in geography...something sorely needed imo.   I never watched a Jeopardy...the gimmick of having to answer in a form of a question bugged me too much, but he seemed to be someone who didn’t take himself too seriously (didn’t get upset with spoofs, even went along with them as in the supposed really weird rivalry between him and Sean Connery on SNL) and had a great sense of humor.  He appeared playing himself on numerous shows which I always think is fun (fictional shows crossovers with reality).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Trebek

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, strappinglad said:

The show was entertainment but also educational. Many watched to test their knowledge against the contestants . Much better than any reality show. Actual FAMILY entertainment, a rarity today. 

I thoroughly enjoy Jeopardy, and have learned from it... I joked on the Social forum that I thought one of the Jeopardy staff was LDS because invariably there would be a question involving the Church (favorably)...

GG

https://www.ldsliving.com/11-Mormon-Themed-Questions-That-Have-Been-Asked-on-Jeopardy-the-Answers/s/85404

During the 30th season of the popular game show, “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” was featured as a category in an episode broadcast on October 15, 2013. Producers from Jeopardy! worked with representatives from LDS Public Affairs to accurately represent facts, images, and videos about the Church. Other episodes throughout the show’s history have included Latter-day Saint references in categories such as “Religion,” “The Book of Mormons,” and “American History.”  

Edited by Calm
15 hours ago, juliann said:

Never watched it. Call me a grinch but I am so tired of having all day tributes to people who did nothing but appear on TV or in movies. I'm sure he was a great guy but I'd much rather hear about people who actually contributed something meaningful to society. 

Well, I kind of agree with you about some of the overwrought tributes we sometimes get, but Trebek isn't likely to get this. But as for people who actually contributed something meaningful to society, well, I guess I have to give you some information so as to shift you to something other than he was just a "great guy". 

So you don't have to navigate to the link, I'll quote it here, but the link is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Trebek#Philanthropy_and_activism

Philanthropy and activism

Trebek was a longtime philanthropist and activist. He was active with multiple charities, including World Vision Canada[105] and United Service Organizations.[106] For World Vision, Trebek travelled to many developing countries with World Vision projects, taping reports on the group's efforts on behalf of children around the world.[105] Trebek and the Jeopardy! crew became involved with the United Service Organizations in 1995, appearing on several military bases throughout the world, both in an attempt to find contestants and as a morale booster for the troops.[106] He donated 74 acres (30 hectares) of open land in the Hollywood Hills to the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy in 1998.[107] He was later awarded one of the American Foundation for the Blind's six yearly Access Awards[108] for his role in accommodating Jeopardy! champion Eddie Timanus.[109] Trebek hosted the annual The Great Canadian Geography Challenge in Canada.[110] He hosted the National Geographic Bee in the United States for 25 years, stepping down in 2013.[111][112] In 2016, Trebek donated $5 million to the University of Ottawa to fund the Alex Trebek Forum for Dialogue, the objective of which is "to expose students to a wide range of diverse views, through speeches, public panels, events and lectures by University of Ottawa researchers, senior government officials and guests speakers from around the world."[113] Trebek's gifts to the university, which at the time totaled $7.5 million, also fund a Distinguished Speaker Series, which has included a presentation by Nobel laureate Leymah Gbowee, introduced by Trebek.[113] In 2017, Trebek funded the Alex Trebek Leadership Award at the University of Ottawa, an annual $10,000 award to a summa cum laude graduate who has also demonstrated community leadership.[114] By October 2020, Trebek's contributions to the University of Ottawa totalled around $10 million.[52]

In March 2020, Trebek donated $100,000 to Hope of the Valley Rescue Mission, a homeless shelter in Los Angeles.[115]

Awards and honours

In 1997 Trebek was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of the University (D.Univ) from the University of Ottawa.[116] In addition to awards for Jeopardy!, Trebek received a great deal of recognition. He received a star on Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto.[117][118] He was awarded seven Outstanding Game Show Host Emmy Awards (1989, 1990, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2019, and 2020)[119][120] and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (located at 6501 Hollywood Boulevard, near those for Ann-Margret and Vincent Price).[102]

On November 4, 2010, Trebek received the Royal Canadian Geographical Society's gold medal for his contribution to geographic education and the popular study of geography.[121] Previous recipients of this award include the author and anthropologist Wade Davis (2009), Peter Gzowski (1997), and Mary May Simon (1998).[122] In 2016, Trebek was named the Honorary President of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society;[123] in that capacity, he was present at the opening of the RCGS's new headquarters in 2018.[105]

In 2011, it was announced that Trebek would be one of the recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Daytime Emmy Awards.[124][125] That same year Trebek received an Honorary Doctorate from Fordham University.[126] Since June 13, 2014, Trebek has held a Guinness World Record for "the most gameshow episodes hosted by the same presenter (same program)" for having hosted 6,829 episodes of Jeopardy!,[127] overtaking previous record holder Bob Barker.[128] On May 4, 2015, Trebek's alma mater, the University of Ottawa, named its alumni hall in his honour, as a benefactor to the university.[129]

In May 2016, Trebek was given the Key to the City by the City of Ottawa.[130] On June 30, 2017, he was named an Officer of the Order of Canada by then Governor General David Johnston for "his iconic achievements in television and for his promotion of learning, notably as a champion for geographical literacy."[131] On June 28, 2019, the Daughters of the American Revolution awarded the 2019 Americanism Award to Trebek.[132][133]

On 11/9/2020 at 12:07 PM, juliann said:

He brought knowledge to those of us who never made it to college.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 6:17 PM, The Nehor said:

Grinch.

Trebek was involved in multiple anti-poverty intiatives. He worked with the USO to entertain troops in the military. He donated land in the Hollywood Hills to a conservation organization. He won an award for organizing the show so blind contestants to participate. He poured millions from his own funds into philanthropy. He was a good guy. Plus his show encouraged us all to fill our heads with useless trivia.

The fact he never used his celebrity to push leftist political activism makes him unusual in show business — and worthy of tribute in my book. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The fact he never used his celebrity to push leftist political activism makes him unusual in show business — and worthy of tribute in my book. 

I will NEVER forget this hilarious Final Jeopardy which Alex Trebek loved - - -

Jeopardy Pansy answer

(I tried inserting the video clip but apparently Facebook is restricting the distribution.  If you would to see it, go to https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jeopardy-contestants-liberal-bashing-answer-is-todays-viral-clip-20152610/

7 hours ago, longview said:

I will NEVER forget this hilarious Final Jeopardy which Alex Trebek loved - - -

Jeopardy Pansy answer

(I tried inserting the video clip but apparently Facebook is restricting the distribution.  If you would to see it, go to https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jeopardy-contestants-liberal-bashing-answer-is-todays-viral-clip-20152610/

So Facebook won’t let you post that? Buncha pansies!