Mike Lee compares Trump to Captain Moroni

I also just realized he said "to my Mormon friends" rather than "to my Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint friends". Does anyone think that we're ever going to stop calling ourselves Mormon or others will stop using that term? 

Phaedrus

I got an invitation to join a mormons for trump facebook group a while back.  I never accepted but for a few weeks I could see all the posts.  They were so embarrassing!  So many people who believe that Trump is the Savior's personal right hand man.  Cringy.  This Mike Lee stuff reminds me of it.  I have no problem with people who think that Trump is as great guy who is being selfless whatever (I might not agree but I'm fine if others believe that) but don't equate Trump with a prophet or some other significant person from the scriptures (and don't equate him to an anti-Christ either).  You will not come out looking very smart, no matter which direction you go.

I don't think Biden or Trump are sincerely asking themselves "WWJD" this campaign.  They are doing what will keep themselves or their party in power, for the sake of their party being in power.  They don't have some secret Christian agenda, they aren't working to put the policies of Jesus into place, and their focus/goal is not righteousness.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

So this just happened...

"To my Mormon friends, my Latter-day Saint friends, think of him as Captain Moroni," Lee said at the Latter-day Saints for Trump event. Around 436,000 LDS members live in Arizona.

"He seeks not power, but to pull it down. He seeks not the praise of the world or the fake news, but he seeks the wellbeing and the peace of the American people," Lee said of Trump.

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-lee-donal ... on-1543117

I'm pleased that Senator Lee chose to speak truth to the Saints.

IMO, as a people we have been far too weak in our support of the President.

"grab 'em by the p***y"

-Captain Moroni

-Donald J Trump

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, pogi said:

"grab 'em by the p***y"

-Captain Moroni

-Donald J Trump

Meh.

Normalized relationships between Israel and her neighbors.

Appointed 3 conservative justices to SCOTUS.

No new wars.  Actual reduction in force in places we've been buried for years.

Trump is all of the nasty things people say he is.  But he's also a consequential leader.

3 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

CFR and in your own words, not links or PDFs. (I've already seen them btw.)

Here is the most egregious lie: "There is overwhelming evidence that our President does in fact have such a relationship with Vladimir Putin, and that this relationship has resulted in the undermining of our most sacred institution, free elections.  It is so well documented that it is virtually beyond question."

It is not documented and is not only questionable but it's been completely refuted. Robert Mueller's team of partisans spent 18 months investigating this false accusation and came up with zero evidence that it was true. In fact, the whole Steele affair was cooked up by Hillary and Democrats. Fox does not have "overwhelming" evidence. He has no evidence because it never existed. I would certainly call this statement by Fox a big fat lie.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

Meh.

This cavalier dismissal disgusts me.  These are women he was talking about.  God's children.  How any woman can dismiss it as "meh" is beyond me.   That is the character of the man we are talking about.  

24 minutes ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

Trump is all of the nasty things people say he is.  But he's also a consequential leader.

He is a leader.  But he is also all the nasty things people say he is.  That makes him a bad leader.  He is destroying the character of America.  That is where he is leading us.  He is normalizing it.  He is leading good people to say "meh" to his unrighteousness.  We are becoming numb. 

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

IMO, as a people we have been far too weak in our support of the President.

You're pleased that Senator Lee is comparing Captain Moroni to a seriel sexual abuser/adulterer.

Edited by ksfisher
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, pogi said:

This cavalier dismissal disgusts me.  These are women he was talking about.  God's children.  How any woman can dismiss it as "meh" is beyond me.   That is the character of the man we are talking about.  

He is a leader.  But he is also all the nasty things people say he is.  That makes him a bad leader.  He is destroying the character of America.  That is where he is leading us.  He is normalizing it.  He is leading good people to say "meh" to his unrighteousness.  We are becoming numb. 

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

etc

9 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

You're pleased that Senator Lee is comparing Captain Moroni to a seriel sexual abuser?

"Meh"

He is what people say he is, but...he is a leader.

28 minutes ago, pogi said:

He is a leader.  But he is also all the nasty things people say he is.  That makes him a bad leader.

I disagree.

Churchill was a drunk and a racist. Eisenhower had mistresses.  

Many great men are deeply flawed.  Personal failings have nothing to do with effective political leadership.

I feel like pro-Trump people and anti-Trump people inhabit two completely different realities. Each seems so incomprehensible to the other. It's quite a phenomenon.

As is the amount of time this thread has remained unlocked. The mods must all be enjoying happy hour somewhere! (or whatever the LDS equivalent would be... root beer?)

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

I am pleased that Senator Lee compared Captain Moroni to a great US president.

We are admonished to seek good men to be our leaders, not just good leaders...

D&C 98:

9 Nevertheless, when the wicked rule the people mourn.
10 Wherefore, honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

I disagree.

Churchill was a drunk and a racist. Eisenhower had mistresses.  

Many great men are deeply flawed.  Personal failings have nothing to do with effective political leadership.

Our nation is in shambles because of him.   Churchill won the war - Trump fought the Covid war for a few days then tucked his tail.  We are losing.  Hundreds of thousands of lives lost.  Jobs gone.  All because of him.     

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, pogi said:

All because of him. 

CFR. Prove that the number of deaths would be zero if not for Trump.

All because of him. So with Hillary the number of deaths would be zero? If not, how many could we pin on her? Biden's plan is essentially a list of what the President has already done. Over 1 million people have died world-wide. Did Trump kill all of them too? This charge is ridiculous.

But since it seems like you have all the answers, please detail what you would do differently. I bet you have a one-size-fits-all solution.

Edited by bearhoof
8 minutes ago, pogi said:

Our nation is in shambles because of him.   Churchill won the war - Trump fought the Covid war for a few days then tucked his tail.  We are losing.  Hundreds of thousands of lives lost.  Jobs gone.  All because of him.     

Responses like this genuinely baffle me.  Many countries in the EU are in much worse shape than we are. That isn't to say that the US response has been particularly good.  But rather, that I don't think many countries have done things very well when it comes to handling Covid.

And the jobs are gone because of the lockdowns required to fight the Pandemic, no?  So aren't you putting Trump in a double bind?

Also, the Q3 GDP numbers are in.  Largest growth in US history.

I get it, Trump is an immoral boor.  But it seems like people lose all sense of objectivity when they look at the actual policies he has implemented.

8 minutes ago, bearhoof said:

CFR. Prove that the number of deaths would be zero if not for Trump.

All because of him. So with Hillary the number of deaths would be zero? If not, how many could we pin on her? Biden's plan is essentially a list of what the President has already done. Over 1 million people have died world-wide. Did Trump kill all of them too? This charge is ridiculous.

I am saying that we are losing because of him, not that we would have had zero deaths.  He is a failed "wartime President".   

His strategy from the beginning - "it is just going to magically go away." Oh ya, and bleach.

We could have been in a much better position with fewer deaths, fewer job losses, and fewer infections.  We could have looked more like Taiwan, South Korea, and New Zealand.  The US is a public health disaster.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Sevenbak said:

We are admonished to seek good men to be our leaders, not just good leaders...

I understand the sentiment, but I have a very pragmatic streak.  

For example, I have long been an opponent of US military engagement across the world.  But no matter who's been president, the wars get bigger and longer.  We bomb Lybia etc...  Then all of a sudden, Trump comes into power, moves the US embassy to Jerusalem, negotiates peace between Israel and her neighbors, and refuses to escalate military engagements.

I'll take an immoral Trump who achieves peace over Jimmy Carter (a wonderful man) any day.

17 minutes ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

Responses like this genuinely baffle me.  Many countries in the EU are in much worse shape than we are.

Name one.  

The fact that other countries may be doing worse (I don't know if you can prove that), doesn't mean he is doing good.  He failed.  He undermines his own CDC at every turn. They should be leading this charge...not him. He wont let them lead.  Instead he shuts them up and places people who know nothing about public health as his primary Covid advisor - simply because they agree with him (who knows nothing).

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1