Seriously No Politics ×

Mike Lee compares Trump to Captain Moroni

11 minutes ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

I'll take an immoral Trump who achieves peace over Jimmy Carter (a wonderful man) any day.

I don't feel at peace.  I feel like America is at war with itself like never before.  He stokes it.  He relishes in the battle. 

5 minutes ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

I understand the sentiment, but I have a very pragmatic streak.  

For example, I have long been an opponent of US military engagement across the world.  But no matter who's been president, the wars get bigger and longer.  We bomb Lybia etc...  Then all of a sudden, Trump comes into power, moves the US embassy to Jerusalem, negotiates peace between Israel and her neighbors, and refuses to escalate military engagements.

I'll take an immoral Trump who achieves peace over Jimmy Carter (a wonderful man) any day.

+1

7 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

So this just happened...

"To my Mormon friends, my Latter-day Saint friends, think of him as Captain Moroni," Lee said at the Latter-day Saints for Trump event. Around 436,000 LDS members live in Arizona.

"He seeks not power, but to pull it down. He seeks not the praise of the world or the fake news, but he seeks the wellbeing and the peace of the American people," Lee said of Trump.

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-lee-donal ... on-1543117

That's interesting, when contemplating Pres. Trump, I think of Ether 10:10-11 and this description of Morianton;

"...He did ease the burden of the people, by which he did gain favor in the eyes of the people, and they did anoint him to be their king, and he did do justice unto the people, but not unto himself because of his many whoredoms..."

He's got plenty of faults, as many of us do, but since I believe in redemption and repentance, I think Pres. Trump is worth praying for, and we sure need to remember to pray for our leaders in this country, especially at this crucial time in our history.

26 minutes ago, pogi said:

The fact that other countries may be doing worse (I don't know if you can prove that), doesn't mean he is doing good.  He failed.  He undermines his own CDC at every turn. They should be leading this charge...not him. He wont let them lead.  Instead he shuts them up and places people who know nothing about public health as his primary Covid advisor - simply because they agree with him (who knows nothing).

CFR

Please name the source for this information. Prove he undermines the CDC. Prove he won't let them lead.

20 minutes ago, bearhoof said:

CFR

Please name the source for this information. Prove he undermines the CDC. Prove he won't let them lead.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/07/former-cdc-heads-trump-undermining-covid-19-response

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-officials-sought-alter-cdc-reports-covid-leaked-emails-politico-2020-9

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/elections/former-trump-health-officials-sent-emails-undermining-cdc-scientists.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/scott-atlas-new-medical-adviser-anti-lockdown-pro-schools-reopening-2020-8

https://www.ft.com/content/9c95268e-5a65-48c4-bbaa-a4d88c4b5c03https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/10/18/twitter-removes-face-mask-tweet-from-trumps-covid-19-coronavirus-advisor-scott-atlas/?sh=120383b71f21

"The house is not only on fire," said a veteran CDC staffer who did not want to be named for fear of retribution. "We're standing in ashes."

Current and former CDC employees said that career staffers are still struggling to influence key decisions about the pandemic as new daily Covid-19 cases soar nationwide but that they are overruled by Trump appointees when politics intrudes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/toxic-cdc-staffers-say-morale-inside-public-health-agency-has-n1244661

3 hours ago, alter idem said:

That's interesting, when contemplating Pres. Trump, I think of Ether 10:10-11 and this description of Morianton;

"...He did ease the burden of the people, by which he did gain favor in the eyes of the people, and they did anoint him to be their king, and he did do justice unto the people, but not unto himself because of his many whoredoms..."

He's got plenty of faults, as many of us do, but since I believe in redemption and repentance, I think Pres. Trump is worth praying for, and we sure need to remember to pray for our leaders in this country, especially at this crucial time in our history.

Of all the scandalous personal behavior people incessantly accuse him of, I’ve noticed that none of it post-dates the election of 2016. With all the vehement hatred against him, I should think somebody would have unearthed something by now that occurred since then (and no, I don’t accept the partisan impeachment scam). 

One wonders if there is an individual statute of limitations on  a person’s judgmentalism. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Before this gets locked...funny story:

I made the mistake of telling my husband about Lee after he had made himself a smoothie. As i read him the quote in a very neutral tone, he laughed so hard mid sip it went up his nose as he tried not to spray it all over the kitchen. 

for some reason the analogy just didn’t land for him.... Poor guy.

back on with talking politics till this inevitably gets shut down. 

with luv, 

BD

Edited by BlueDreams
7 hours ago, longview said:

He is working for free (he has donated every one of his presidential paychecks to worthy causes) a

Only if he is not getting living expenses paid for like most of the working world. 

7 hours ago, strappinglad said:

I am missing that red bar saying " no politics " . Must be OK as long as we dump on 45. 

This is politics mixed with the Book of Mormon.  I think its appropriate to compare and contrast Moroni with Donald Trump.  I support Trump on some things so I don't hate him like many do but it is WAY out of line to even put him in the same league as Captain Moroni.  I have supported Mike Lee but this was a bridge too far for me. 

Edited by carbon dioxide

Saw this meme, I had no idea, it must have been the times I'd read a few pages of the BoM and not know what I read because my mind wandered. I didn't know Captain Moroni was so shady. Of course this is made up, was going to delete, changed mind.

123004873_3622437207820688_6599713246982903683_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=6wXBu_CGzFEAX9J0V7u&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=3168d4249305f4b290084b55c8063374&oe=5FC243D0

122778662_3622437281154014_6110683837147882018_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=Wz88OVuAaZsAX_BXA6H&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=f16e8341dcbbd49ce44e2501da26de14&oe=5FBF60DB

Edited by Tacenda
3 hours ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

I disagree.

Churchill was a drunk and a racist. Eisenhower had mistresses.  

Many great men are deeply flawed.  Personal failings have nothing to do with effective political leadership.

Most of our presidents have had deep moral failings.  Trump can't even touch Moroni in the moral category.  Whether he has been an effective leader is opinion.  I will say however that his leadership on Coronavirus has been HORRIBLE.   I really believe his knowledge of pandemics and infection control came from the Trump University School of Medicine. 

46 minutes ago, Calm said:

You haven’t been paying attention. Check out charges of racism and affairs in the past. 

should think somebody would have unearthed something by now that occurred since then“

Or did you mean “all” predates the election and he has cleaned up his act?

I’ve been paying attention more than you think. Accusations of racism since the 2016 election lack foundation in my view. 

If you’ll read my post more closely, you’ll see that my remark pertains to his known behavior since 2016. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I did. This morning. At least eight hours before I made the post to which you have replied. 

Good for you. Seriously as I understood you don’t like to do that.

I reported something a couple a days ago and I don’t know if they chose not to respond or were not able, but it was not acted on for a few days at least.  Life may be complicated for them right now. Hopefully in good ways, not bad. 

Edited by Calm