Seriously No Politics ×

What has happened in our Church/ Sacrament Meetings?

7 minutes ago, poptart said:

Wow that's impressive. 

I am assuming there is probably quite a bit that isn't being published because of privacy or governmental issues, but even if they are only doing what is announced, I am very happy that we both have the capability of that and from the first of the pandemic, they were on top of it.  They have a well oiled machine that is set up to be there for people for quite sometime because members continue to support as well as the Church has created a secure financial situation for itself.

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

Maybe you could make that recommendation to your bishop.  Couldn't hurt.  Our program is 1) opening hymn (listening to a recording, not singing), 2) opening prayer, 3) two brief talks, 4) closing hymn (listening), 5) closing prayer, 6) broadcast is turned off and Sacrament is administered, 7) everyone goes home and logs in remotely for second hour.

I still very much miss the socialization, but that's coming back a bit too.  People linger for a few minutes in the parking lot (still wearing masks and staying 6 feet apart).  

Things will get better.

Thanks,

-Smac

They originally did it the first time or two, but for some some reason changed.  We've got tithing settlement this week so I will ask why the change.   It may have been because others requested it that way?

On 10/29/2020 at 7:08 AM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Our Ward here in my home State of Georgia, has returned to worship together; well not really. 

Texas here. We aren't quite back to 'normal,' but we seem to be slowly, cautiously moving in that direction.

Many of us are in the same building, where up to 150 can attend, however it is so “hands off”, approach that many have many discouraged.

We are fortunate enough to meet in the stake center, so there is adequate room for everyone in our small ward attend, albeit distanced, if they wish. Prior to COVID, our average sacrament attendance was around 160ish; now, it's closer to 100 or so each week - though that number doesn't include those who are participating remotely.

All members of leadership wear masks unless they are speaking, as do all of the Aaronic Priesthood, who administer the Sacrament.

We do this as well. Everyone who is sitting on the stand or administering the sacrament is expected to wear a mask. We allow those who are speaking to remove their masks at the pulpit, as several members have reported issues with being able to hear people clearly through the masks. To account for this, we just block out the first couple of rows up front - seems to have worked fine so far. 

In addition, each of the, Deacons, Teachers and Priest, also wear gloves the entire time.

While I understand the motivation / intent behind this practice, it isn't something we do ourselves.

We just have bottles of sanitizer accessible and have those participating make use of them. We don't ask them to make a show of it, but they don't need to worry about people being distracted if they are seen doing it either. 

Yet with all of these individuals setting examples, by employing such safety measures, members are not required to wear masks.

Not sure if it's the same in Georgia, but here in Texas the governor's orders expressly exempt places of worship from the mandatory mask requirements.

So, while we have encouraged people to do so, and set an example of doing so ourselves, we don't have 100% compliance with everyone in the congregation wearing masks.

However, based on my weekly observations, I would say that we are somewhere in the 93-95% range, so we have elected not to make it a point of contention. 

Social distancing keeps almost anyone of speaking with one another [...]

This is something we encourage - the social distancing bit, not the no speaking bit - while people are in the building. 

What you do after you leave the building though is your own business. And we have a number of people who hang out and socialize outside under the trees (now that the weather is tolerable) for a bit before heading home each Sunday.

[...] in addition those in my age bracket and above, are not only given “wide births”, but reminded, “we don’t have to be there”.

We have a fellow in our ward who is in late 90's. I care for him (and worry about him) a great bit, but I also recognize that he has every right decide for himself how he wants to live his life, and I respect his decision to come to church in person each week.

I don't believe anyone has told him (or anyone else that I'm aware of) that they don't need to be there. Maybe we're just better at respecting our elders here in Texas. ;)  

As a result, after the first week, and the very large part of the members who don’t wear masks, have caused friends of mine, to not return. 

This, I think, is most unfortunate. We should be looking for ways to support our fellow Saints throughout these difficult times, and while I personally couldn't give a flying fig if I were to never receive a ministering visit for the rest of my natural days, I know that not all people are like me (which is probably for the best). Lots of people need more socialization than I personally require. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for ministering families to step in and spend some extra time with these individuals. 

We went to go do some service for one of the elderly ladies in our ward a week or two back, and she told us about how one of the sisters in the ward had brought her a salad earlier that day and that they sat in her garden and had lunch together. That really meant a lot to her, and it really convicted me to step up my personal efforts to reach out to those in our ward who might be missing some of that socialization that they are used to getting from church attendance. 

I must admit, after our very long absence, I feel very “disconnected”, to my Ward and Church. It is very much an odd feeling, and is leaving me quite sad, and lacking the Spirit, that I once had or felt.

Holding onto the iron rod doesn't mean that you never have to go uphill.

I think a lot of people are struggling, in various ways, through this pandemic, but it's something we will get through. 

That feeling of community that you have been accustomed to will return - it just may be a bit before we get to the point where you feel like you did before. 

Or maybe, God willing, things might even end up being better than they were before. Have faith. It will all work out.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, Islander said:

Again, these are just observations. This is a flu-like virus. The flue kills 50-80,000 people EVERY year in this country and nobody was panicking about it before. Those in the high risk group should take added precautions. But the rest of us should go on the business of living and serving. My issue is that if we serve God ONLY when it is safe and convenient we are not true disciples. There is NO added risk if you are not in the high risk group. Rationalizing is rather convenient and "precaution" and "safety" are just basic examples of it. 

I have found that there are always a myriad of ways to justify one's actions. But the facts speak for themselves, regardless of what we may believe or say. I saw with sadness how other churches continued to meet and remained active in the midst of the ordeal while ours just went away.

I have never felt our church went away. It continues to shift towards a more home based experience. Which was already happening before the virus struck.

Our leaders early in this pandemic gave clear council that the Prophet and the Quorum of the Twelve, with direction from the Lord, knew this was  not a ‘FLU‘ moment. They continue to take actions today that show us this is not just a ‘FLU’ moment.

1. By the time March 2021 (1 year or so) arrives we could see 350,000 to 400,000 dead due to COVID. That is a LOT more than 50,000 or so. 

2. The regular Flu doesn’t leave many of its victims with long term heart and lung damage, rashes, repeating fevers, etc. For both old and young.

3. The regular flu usually provides the infected person with some clear symptoms fairly quickly (with shorter infection time frames). It doesn’t have infected people walking around for a week or more without knowing they are sick or have the virus.

Why has the church responded differently to COVID vs the regular flu? Because their impacts are nothing alike. COVID is much worse and is not over yet.

I am grateful for a living Prophet that gave us clear council and guidance from the very beginning that this was to be taken very seriously. This guided my family’s decision making and actions on the virus (still does). Instead of confusion or fear we had clarity. It also helped us not be swayed by fake news, incorrect social media posts and false information related to this virus and it’s clear severity.

4 minutes ago, Ragerunner said:

am grateful for a living Prophet that gave us clear council and guidance from the very beginning that this was to be taken very seriously. This guided my family’s decision making and actions on the virus (still does). Instead of confusion or fear we had clarity. It also helped us not be swayed by fake news, incorrect social media posts and false information related to this virus and it’s clear severity.

Well stated. 

8 minutes ago, Ragerunner said:

I have never felt our church went away. It continues to shift towards a more home based experience. Which was already happening before the virus struck.

Our leaders early in this pandemic gave clear council that the Prophet and the Quorum of the Twelve, with direction from the Lord, knew this was  not a ‘FLU‘ moment. They continue to take actions today that show us this is not just a ‘FLU’ moment.

1. By the time March 2021 (1 year or so) arrives we could see 350,000 to 400,000 dead due to COVID. That is a LOT more than 50,000 or so. 

2. The regular Flu doesn’t leave many of its victims with long term heart and lung damage, rashes, repeating fevers, etc. For both old and young.

3. The regular flu usually provides the infected person with some clear symptoms fairly quickly (with shorter infection time frames). It doesn’t have infected people walking around for a week or more without knowing they are sick or have the virus.

Why has the church responded differently to COVID vs the regular flu? Because their impacts are nothing alike. COVID is much worse and is not over yet.

I am grateful for a living Prophet that gave us clear council and guidance from the very beginning that this was to be taken very seriously. This guided my family’s decision making and actions on the virus (still does). Instead of confusion or fear we had clarity. It also helped us not be swayed by fake news, incorrect social media posts and false information related to this virus and it’s clear severity.

+1

On 11/1/2020 at 7:58 PM, Calm said:

I am assuming there is probably quite a bit that isn't being published because of privacy or governmental issues, but even if they are only doing what is announced, I am very happy that we both have the capability of that and from the first of the pandemic, they were on top of it.  They have a well oiled machine that is set up to be there for people for quite sometime because members continue to support as well as the Church has created a secure financial situation for itself.

If I ever get to meet some of the top leadership or the President/Prophet of the LDS church after hello i'm either high fiving, fistbumping or both after,  If he's into that.  Seriously, that's why despite my gripes I still shut up about the LDS church and have stood up for them more than once, they help people. 

10 hours ago, Ragerunner said:

Those number are inflated. NOBODY knows for sure since now every hospital lists their dead as COVID-19 related and there is an economic incentive behind it. The president of the United States is in his 70's and was in and out of the hospital in a week. 

I think the Church has grown risk averse. I think that preaching the Gospel ONLY when is safe and convenient denies the promises and covenants we ALL have made. To "take up your cross" means to be willing to die for the sake of the Gospel. Some 30,000 young and strong men and women were not in any danger. You are free to believe anything you want and rationalize it however it suits you. But those are the facts.

2 hours ago, Islander said:

Those number are inflated. NOBODY knows for sure since now every hospital lists their dead as COVID-19 related and there is an economic incentive behind it. The president of the United States is in his 70's and was in and out of the hospital in a week. 

I think the Church has grown risk averse. I think that preaching the Gospel ONLY when is safe and convenient denies the promises and covenants we ALL have made. To "take up your cross" means to be willing to die for the sake of the Gospel. Some 30,000 young and strong men and women were not in any danger. You are free to believe anything you want and rationalize it however it suits you. But those are the facts.

I think the optimal word in this whole rant is rationalize.  COVID is real, and the church has responded appropriately. COVID will pass, and members lives that were saved by not meeting in large groups will continue on. 

12 hours ago, Islander said:

I clearly support your right to your opinion and the right to disagree with the Prophet and leaders of the church.

But it doesn’t change the guidance and revelation that the Prophet and leaders have provide from the Lord to his church and us as members on this virus. (Both in word and deed.)

The virus should be taken very seriously, it is real and it is nothing like the flu.

I know several healthy young strong members of the church (under 30 with no preconditions that now have long term health issues from the virus.)