Seriously No Politics ×

What has happened in our Church/ Sacrament Meetings?

Our Ward here in my home State of Georgia, has returned to worship together; well not really. 

Many of us are in the same building, where up to 150 can attend, however it is so “hands off”, approach that many have many discouraged. All members of leadership wear masks unless they are speaking, as do all of the Aaronic Priesthood, who administer the Sacrament. In addition, each of the, Deacons, Teachers and Priest, also wear gloves the entire time. Yet with all of these individuals setting examples, by employing such safety measures, members are not required to wear masks. Social distancing keeps almost anyone of speaking with one another, in addition those in my age bracket and above, are not only given “wide births”, but reminded, “we don’t have to be there”. As a result, after the first week, and the very large part of the members who don’t wear masks, have caused friends of mine, to not return. 

I ask these questions here in the General Discussion Forum, in order to gage our actions here, with other parts of the world, or country? 

I must admit, after our very long absence, I feel very “disconnected”, to my Ward and Church. It is very much an odd feeling, and is leaving me quite sad, and lacking the Spirit, that I once had or felt. 😪

You seriously have no idea why members of your ward are trying to protect others in your ward from catching Covid?  You seriously have no idea why your ward members are being especially vigilant in protecting the seniors in your ward?  No idea at all????

Our started out with a portion of the ward attending each week (between 50-100). Masks were optional. Then we had a ward member pass from Covid.

Masks are now required but everyone is invited to attend if they are comfortable. In pre-covid days that would have been weekly attendance in the 200-230 range. It's much less now. Many choose not to attend.

Some choose not to attend because it still doesn't seem safe with covid rampaging through the countryside. Some don't attend because they are required to wear masks. Some don't attend because the abbreviated meeting schedule hardly makes it worth their while to travel 45 minute roundtrip for church to sit in a large group for 45 minutes. They prefer doing it at home and since they still have that option, it works well for them.

The notion/requirement for active church attendance has changed dramatically this year, and with many temples still closed, the threat of losing a recommend may not hold the same sway it once did. I wonder if the expectation and dedication to regular church attendance (in person) will ever be the same.

BUT - I definitely understand your feelings of disconnection. I feel it too.

Our ward boundaries were recently changed...again and I am now assigned to a new ward. I have no motivation to go. Zero. Not only will it not matter to me personally, but I don't think it will matter to anyone else either. I haven't heard a word from anyone in either the old ward or new ward (leadership, ministers etc) either welcoming or bidding farewell.  It's just a massive disconnect.

I agree Papa, it's hard to feel connected at church right now.  Our ward is still split for attendance, so I haven't seen the members with a last name in the last half of the alphabet since March.  Plus, our ward boundaries changed in November of last year, and we have an area with new construction going up and are getting up to 12 new families a month, who no one knows.  When church does go back to normal, it's going to be a real adjustment.

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Our started out with a portion of the ward attending each week (between 50-100). Masks were optional. Then we had a ward member pass from Covid.

Masks are now required but everyone is invited to attend if they are comfortable. In pre-covid days that would have been weekly attendance in the 200-230 range. It's much less now. Many choose not to attend.

Some choose not to attend because it still doesn't seem safe with covid rampaging through the countryside. Some don't attend because they are required to wear masks. Some don't attend because the abbreviated meeting schedule hardly makes it worth their while to travel 45 minute roundtrip for church to sit in a large group for 45 minutes. They prefer doing it at home and since they still have that option, it works well for them.

The notion/requirement for active church attendance has changed dramatically this year, and with many temples still closed, the threat of losing a recommend may not hold the same sway it once did. I wonder if the expectation and dedication to regular church attendance (in person) will ever be the same.

BUT - I definitely understand your feelings of disconnection. I feel it too.

Our ward boundaries were recently changed...again and I am now assigned to a new ward. I have no motivation to go. Zero. Not only will it not matter to me personally, but I don't think it will matter to anyone else either. I haven't heard a word from anyone in either the old ward or new ward (leadership, ministers etc) either welcoming or bidding farewell.  It's just a massive disconnect.

I would have hoped that Covid would have inspired people to reach out more, not less. 

I just found out that my ward is now moving towards restarting in-person meetings. I find the timing baffling as cases are at an all-time high, and gatherings such as this have been shown to spread Covid. 

We have been asked to pray over the matter and inform leadership whether or not we choose to attend in-person.  I have had two initial reactions to this - I am very high risk, so going to church would endanger my already compromised health, and since I’ve only been provided sacrament twice in eight months, the leadership apparently thinks it’s not important for single women to receive it. 

50 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

Wow. Judgmental much ? No surprise there. 

Did you miss the part where he stated most members are not wearing masks? How is that “being especially vigilant in protecting the seniors”? It’s actually being negligent and selfish and dangerous. 

My takeaway from the post was not an urge to rush to judgment, but understanding it as him trying to simply describe how different going to church feels now. 

So you think the Church policies have nothing to do with keeping people, especially the elderly safe???

Instead you want to attack me for pointing this out?  No surprise there.

Edited by california boy
5 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Our Ward here in my home State of Georgia, has returned to worship together; well not really. 

Many of us are in the same building, where up to 150 can attend, however it is so “hands off”, approach that many have many discouraged. All members of leadership wear masks unless they are speaking, as do all of the Aaronic Priesthood, who administer the Sacrament. In addition, each of the, Deacons, Teachers and Priest, also wear gloves the entire time. Yet with all of these individuals setting examples, by employing such safety measures, members are not required to wear masks. Social distancing keeps almost anyone of speaking with one another, in addition those in my age bracket and above, are not only given “wide births”, but reminded, “we don’t have to be there”. As a result, after the first week, and the very large part of the members who don’t wear masks, have caused friends of mine, to not return. 

I ask these questions here in the General Discussion Forum, in order to gage our actions here, with other parts of the world, or country? 

I must admit, after our very long absence, I feel very “disconnected”, to my Ward and Church. It is very much an odd feeling, and is leaving me quite sad, and lacking the Spirit, that I once had or felt. 😪

In my ward everyone is required to wear a mask.  No push back on that that I'm aware of.  I think the people who disagree with mask wearing realize that sacrament meeting is the wrong place to take that kind of stand.

The bishop has stated that, while he has been told to hold a meeting every Sunday, he hasn't been told that anyone beyond the essential people have to be there.  Anyone (and everyone) who wants to participate by Zoom is encouraged to do so.

Personally, I haven't had any feeling of separation from the ward.  I've kept in touch with other ward leaders, quorum members, and those I minister to throughout the pandemic. 

I know there are others who've felt cut off, but it seems to me that partly these are people who are waiting for others to contact them rather than actively reaching out to others.

4 hours ago, california boy said:

You seriously have no idea why members of your ward are trying to protect others in your ward from catching Covid?  You seriously have no idea why your ward members are being especially vigilant in protecting the seniors in your ward?  No idea at all????

Even in a. Re-read, I don’t know how I gave that impression? It is all for our protection, so why is 50-60% not wearing masks at all? 

4 hours ago, california boy said:

And you apparently seriously don't know what it's like to be elderly like Papa and me.  :)

Gosh and I don't know what it's like to be you either.  So see, what we do is be kind to people and encourage them in positive ways. 

5 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Even in a. Re-read, I don’t know how I gave that impression? It is all for our protection, so why is 50-60% not wearing masks at all? 

Ignorance and lack of respect for the needs of others.  Welcome to 2020!    Hang in there dude, I get what you are saying!  

We come into this world alone and go out that way too- we just have to roll with the punches- which I am sure you know well!! There is nothing as permanent as constant change!

Edited by mfbukowski
57 minutes ago, california boy said:

So you think the Church policies have nothing to do with keeping people, especially the elderly safe???

Instead you want to attack me for pointing this out?  No surprise there.

I had, nor have no issue with keeping elderly safe, just noting half measures, of allowing 50-60% not to wear masks. This despite the clear leadership for our “Ward Leadership”. 

2 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Anyone know if California is back at Church?

Our first Sunday "back" will be this coming Sunday.

We are meeting outside our building 6 feet apart, and we will bring our own lawn chairs and will be under some type of canopy though our rainy season is not here yet.

Then behind the folks in the lawn chairs, there will be a place to park cars like a drive-in theater with the "stand" being the "screen"

They are doing some kind of radio gizmoso you can stay in your car and listen.   It's probably the receiver head phones they use for those who need translation.  If so I hope they are sanitizing them-  I will probably bring my spray bottle of alcohol just in case.  ;)

It will be a short testimony meeting- a half hour, then back to home.   I am in the LA area, not sure how far our plan extends

Edited by mfbukowski
1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Our first Sunday "back" will be this coming Sunday.

We are meeting outside our building 6 feet apart, and we will bring our own lawn chairs and will be under some type of canopy though our rainy season is not here yet.

Then behind the folks in the lawn chairs, there will be a place to park cars like a drive-in theater with the "stand" being the "screen"

They are doing some kind of radio gizmoso you can stay in your car and listen.   It's probably the receiver head phones they use for those who need translation.  If so I hope they are sanitizing them-  I will probably bring my spray bottle of alcohol just in case.  ;)

It will be a short testimony meeting- a half hour, then back to home.   I am in the LA area, not sure how far our plan extends

Great ideas! (Our climate won’t allow outdoors right now but maybe next Spring...)

1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

Hang in there Papa! 💜

I will, I must, I have just never felt so cut off before. It is a burden that is difficult to bare, as I cannot yet go to the Temple to find some solace, for it is not open and operational yet. Not to mention, as with most all Temple’s, are usually staffed full time with the weakest among us, not “Spiritually weak”, but with the much older members among us all. 😪 

3 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I had, nor have no issue with keeping elderly safe, just noting half measures, of allowing 50-60% not to wear masks. This despite the clear leadership for our “Ward Leadership”. 

I think I misunderstood your post.  I apologize.  

Our ward pre pandemic was realigned and we ended up in a new ward. So the disconnect doubled over night. I’m still not sure who the bulk of my ward is. We still haven’t attended in person, but my husband was called as a ward clerk and I a YW’s councilor in the presidency. So we kinda feel both super active while being less active at the same time. It’s made what connections i do have to the ward more valuable....they’re literally it for me. 
Each week i have it reconfirmed that what we’re doing for our family and circumstance is the right thing for us now. Our ward tries, but there’s things I wish they’d err a little further on the side of caution that if i were in person i know would just leave me anxious and tense moreso than hearing anything. We watch the ward broadcast in the morning during breakfast and hear about as much as we probably would anyways with an a active kiddo. I attend YW’s every other sunday and we listen to sunday school. It’s usually a small group for both, though that might change a little since they’ve now moved it to be more closer to the main Church time than spread across the day. It does feel disconnected but in other ways I’ve felt more connected to some of the basic fundamentals to the gospel and church in general. And i value that where a lot of the programs and experiences of gathering as a community are at best wonky. 

With luv,

BD 

10 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Anyone know if California is back at Church?

The Lake Elsinore wards in Riverside County have met once outside, once inside, then last week, were back to outside. 

I am currently in CA (for the last four months) helping my parents. My home ward in UT got reorganized in my absence when the stake added a third ward to our building. Since I  have lived in the area for 36 years, I know some of the new members from scouting and other activities, but don't recall meeting the new Bishop or EQ Pres. I'll be here at least another month. I will feel like a stranger when I finally get back, although that won't last long.

I can just imagine people coming up to me, asking, "Are you new to the ward?" It won't bother me though. To them, l will be new to the ward.

My husband and I were discussing church on Sunday.  For several years he traveled to France on business about 4 times a year.  Each trip he always ended up for a long layover in London airport.  I would test him notes about what the speakers were saying.  We were just thinking with zoom meetings now he could just watch himself!

15 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

As far as I am concerned, the Church folded and went away 9 months ago. For nearly 3 months we saw no one, spoke to no one and nothing happened. We just abandoned our calling and mission and the work of the Lord came to a standstill.

Now, we are meeting once a month for an hour. The elderly (especially widows) have been completely isolated and abandoned. Missionary work stopped and no service is being performed. There is no fellowship, there is no support for those that need it and the local leadership all but ran away.

My question is rather obvious: why the fear? We claim to be followers of Christ; those that have promise to follow Him and take up our crosses (die if necessary) to move His work forward. We say we believe that we trust in Him for everything. We claim that we have given our commitment, time, energy, resources and our very lives for the sake of the Gospel. Are not our lives in His hands? Are not our days counted already? Is it not true that we say (like the Apostle Paul) that "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain..." This life is but a vapor. Our hope, our future, our reward and treasure is in Heaven. We don't belong here! Then why the fear?

The fact is that this a flu-like virus and EVERYBODY is going to get it; today, tomorrow, next week or next years, regardless of whether a vaccine is available or not. I believe there will be a reckoning on account of our negligence. We have abandoned the work of God, the things of God and people of God on account of fear.

Nephi went to do according to the commandments of God, knowing that it could (and nearly so) cost him his life. Abinadai stood boldly to speak the truth, knowing that it was the last thing he would do. Ammon and the sons of Mosiah went to preach the Gospel in the heart of the land of their mortal enemies. The examples are many. We have a solemn duty. Abdicating that duty, regardless, has consequences.

34 minutes ago, Islander said:

As far as I am concerned, the Church folded and went away 9 months ago. For nearly 3 months we saw no one, spoke to no one and nothing happened. We just abandoned our calling and mission and the work of the Lord came to a standstill.

Now, we are meeting once a month for an hour. The elderly (especially widows) have been completely isolated and abandoned. Missionary work stopped and no service is being performed. There is no fellowship, there is no support for those that need it and the local leadership all but ran away.

My question is rather obvious: why the fear? We claim to be followers of Christ; those that have promise to follow Him and take up our crosses (die if necessary) to move His work forward. We say we believe that we trust in Him for everything. We claim that we have given our commitment, time, energy, resources and our very lives for the sake of the Gospel. Are not our lives in His hands? Are not our days counted already? Is it not true that we say (like the Apostle Paul) that "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain..." This life is but a vapor. Our hope, our future, our reward and treasure is in Heaven. We don't belong here! Then why the fear?

No fear here. I trust God when he tells me "you are high risk.  ______ is not the way for you to serve others right now.  Think about it and you will find other ways to serve.  I have more planned for you.  Be wise and take care of your health so you can fulfill your mission after covid."

So funny thing.  I thought about it.  I figured I could easily serve in ______ way so that I can stay healthy till a vaccine is ready and what do you know?  The Lord blessed me more than 10 times over to help in that way.  So cool!

People who wear masks and stay more self isolated are not necessarily fearful.  I get really tired of hearing that.  Many of us trust the Lord and try to be wise in doing what he feels is best for us.

34 minutes ago, Islander said:

The fact is that this a flu-like virus and EVERYBODY is going to get it; today, tomorrow, next week or next years, regardless of whether a vaccine is available or not. I believe there will be a reckoning on account of our negligence. We have abandoned the work of God, the things of God and people of God on account of fear.

Nephi went to do according to the commandments of God, knowing that it could (and nearly so) cost him his life. Abinadai stood boldly to speak the truth, knowing that it was the last thing he would do. Ammon and the sons of Mosiah went to preach the Gospel in the heart of the land of their mortal enemies. The examples are many. We have a solemn duty. Abdicating that duty, regardless, has consequences.