Seriously No Politics ×

Singing in the Covid Age

Okrahomer

That is amazing! I wore my mask all day today with 5th grade students. And while reading a chapter book, or it's called "read aloud", I got winded and couldn't catch my breath. I can imagine how hard that would be to project their voices through the mask and make it far reaching. 

13 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

Simultaneously beautiful, fascinating and heart breaking...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQj2kqqrJZA

And, still somewhat unsafe due to what we know about airborne transmission.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200923/singing-without-a-face-mask-can-spread-covid-19

"The researchers estimated that shortening the rehearsal to 30 minutes would have reduced the infection rate from 87% to 12%. If masks had been worn, the number of people infected would have dropped from 52 to five, they added."

Shared air is the culprit. The aerosols still escape the masks. But, hopefully if they rehearse in a well ventilated space, the risk is even lower.

They are young...maybe the teacher should wear a N 95 mask.

*I also don't understand why they are all meeting in the same room and then putting on masks/changing masks. Scientifically nonsensical.

Edited by bsjkki
16 hours ago, Tacenda said:

That is amazing! I wore my mask all day today with 5th grade students. And while reading a chapter book, or it's called "read aloud", I got winded and couldn't catch my breath. I can imagine how hard that would be to project their voices through the mask and make it far reaching. 

I agree.  It also seems to muffle their sibilant consonants; but still very nicely done.  Elaine Hagenberg is one of my favorite choral composers these days.

5 hours ago, bsjkki said:

And, still somewhat unsafe due to what we know about airborne transmission.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200923/singing-without-a-face-mask-can-spread-covid-19

"The researchers estimated that shortening the rehearsal to 30 minutes would have reduced the infection rate from 87% to 12%. If masks had been worn, the number of people infected would have dropped from 52 to five, they added."

Shared air is the culprit. The aerosols still escape the masks. But, hopefully if they rehearse in a well ventilated space, the risk is even lower.

They are young...maybe the teacher should wear a N 95 mask.

*I also don't understand why they are all meeting in the same room and then putting on masks/changing masks. Scientifically nonsensical.

The article indicates that "singing indoors without masks" is dangerous.  Didn't they have their masks on while they sang?

1 minute ago, Okrahomer said:

The article indicates that "singing indoors without masks" is dangerous.  Didn't they have their masks on while they sang?

Did you read my full quote? Also, I just want people to understand there is still a risk...especially as the video shows them putting their masks on after they have arrived at the concert hall. They can take those risks if they choose but the mask is not going to protect them from aerosolized particles escaping while singing. It reduces the risk. As an older person in front of a group of people singing, a N95 would protect the conductor much better.

Consistency.

Edited by bsjkki
3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Did you read my full quote? Also, I just want people to understand there is still a risk...especially as the video shows them putting their masks on after they have arrived at the concert hall. They can take those risks if they choose but the mask is not going to protect them from aerosolized particles escaping while singing. It reduces the risk. As an older person in front of a group of people singing, a N95 would protect the conductor much better.

Consistency.

I’ve deleted the video to avoid sending the wrong message.  Sorry I did not think of it before I posted.  Thanks for drawing my attention to the problem.

Edited by Okrahomer
8 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

I’ve deleted the video to avoid sending the wrong message.  Sorry I did not think of it before I posted.  Thanks for drawing my attention to the problem.

fyi:  I understand all the students actually arrived with their masks on.  They were allowed to remove them once they were all situated physically-distant in the rehearsal hall.  They put their masks back on to sing.

Don’t delete it! I didn’t want you to do that. It was beautiful. We can’t ever be perfectly safe from this virus! That was my point...for me. I’m all for doing our best to do normal things as safely as makes sense. I’m happy they made it work! 

I just point out some inconsistencies I see as we try and follow the ‘science.’  I was just being ornery. 

Forgive me. This was a wake up for me to be less contrary.

9 hours ago, bsjkki said:

also don't understand why they are all meeting in the same room and then putting on masks/changing masks. Scientifically nonsensical.

Not shooting out droplets all around reduces the viral load, so helps some. If they get infected, likely less serious. 

Added:  YouR later post makes this point but I am lazy and prideful so letting my post stand. ;) 

Edited by Calm
31 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

That is a generous reaction instead of being annoyed, but I think it provides an opportunity to be educated even more rather than sending the wrong message. 

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Don’t delete it! I didn’t want you to do that. It was beautiful. We can’t ever be perfectly safe from this virus! That was my point...for me. I’m all for doing our best to do normal things as safely as makes sense. I’m happy they made it work! 

I just point out some inconsistencies I see as we try and follow the ‘science.’  I was just being ornery. 

Forgive me. This was a wake up for me to be less contrary.

No worries at all.