collateral damage from covid

Not really damage at this point, but something I find off putting. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.protectpatientsblog.com/amp/heres-youre-getting-unsolicited-mailings-clinical-trials/

I keep getting clinical trial offers in my email, mostly Covid these days and I was wondering if a scam, if a problem to “unsubscribe” or should I block them or maybe a study might come along I was interested in sometime. I got another one tonight after it has been awhile, and I am guessing it is because I hit a couple of sites I haven’t visited in awhile that focus on Covid. I decided to check one out tonight and came across this article about the company doing many of them and its legal, but possibly unethical practices of mining info and even creating their own websites with info in specific illnesses to target patients. Can you imagine discovering you have terminal pancreatic cancer, doing research on it, and the next time you open your email there is an offer to join a clinical trial. Kind of creepy. 

The creep factor goes up because they got Walgreens giving them customer info for a price because Walgreens has customers sign a waiver allowing use of confidential info for medical research.

So personal medical info out there and what might they do with it besides trying to persuade people to sign up for clinical trials (which is an important service in my view, but not happy about the way they are doing it)?  Sell to insurance companies looking to lower their risks?  Sell to snake oil companies?

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, pogi said:

You don't know what you are talking about. 

That seems to be your favorite phrase around here <_< :rolleyes:

Or do you use it in casual conversation, too?  :huh: 

15 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

In this case at least, my experience is Pogi is right.  My husband is one of those government workers as a prof at a state university and his ‘paid’ vacation was redoing all his class work to make it work for online, so many zoom meetings and online classes on how to prepare online classes. And then there was the threat of downgrading his job.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Calm said:

In this case at least, my experience is Pogi is right.  My husband is one of those government workers as a prof at a state university and his ‘paid’ vacation was redoing all his class work to make it work for online, so many zoom meetings and online classes on how to prepare online classes. And then there was the threat of downgrading his job.  

One can be correct agreeably, and one can be correct insufferably.  "You don't know what you're talking about" isn't one of those phrases that inspires dialogue or prompts even a reader who might be unsure or who might disagree to consider any assertions that follow more deeply.  I think the Board suffers from many of the same maladies that afflict our public discourse more generally: One cannot simply disagree with one's interlocutors, one must prove (or at least must posit) that one's interlocutors are bad, evil, mentally and morally deficient, depraved, and on and on, ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

I've been the target of that kind of thing from Pogi, and others, in the past, and I have no expectation that will change in the future, from him or from anyone else who is prone to "engage" one's interlocutors that way.  I suppose that's just how he rolls, and how they roll.  (More power to ya!  As "Dr. Phil" always says, "How's that workin' for ya?" :rolleyes:<_< )

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

It’s how I answer my phone.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
On 10/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, pogi said:

... You don't know what you are talking about.  ...

4 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

12 minutes ago, pogi said:

It’s how I answer my phone.

I'm sure.  I'm not one bit surprised.

5 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

: One cannot simply disagree with one's interlocutors, one must prove (or at least must posit) that one's interlocutors are bad, evil, mentally and morally deficient, depraved, and on and on, ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

Given that Pogi is a government worker and what Bob C was saying about government workers (if anyone was saying the other was bad, morally deficient by implication, it was him), it was not Pogi that was out of line at all in my view. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Calm said:

One must wonder why it is necessary to have the government run and own a university.  Such inspires laziness and inefficient behavior in a crisis. 

I admire those private universities that already employed online teaching. It was a simple matter to turn to that. 

We should all hope for a better day.

Edited by Bob Crockett
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Bob Crockett said:

One must wonder why it is necessary to have the government run and own a university.  Such inspires laziness and inefficient behavior in a crisis. 

I admire those private universities that already employed online teaching. It was a simple matter to turn to that. 

What does public vs private have to do with it? Both types are struggling to adapt right now. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2020/04/21/coronavirus-poses-serious-financial-risks-to-us-universities/amp/

1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

I represent universities.  The public ones were woefully unprepared for a virus crisis.  I could describe how.  The private ones were hit hard yes but had better infrastructure in place.

Edited by Bob Crockett
11 hours ago, Calm said:

Given that Pogi is a government worker and what Bob C was saying about government workers (if anyone was saying the other was bad, morally deficient by implication, it was him), it was not Pogi that was out of line at all in my view. 

I'm an equal opportunity critic.  I don't like how either one of them approaches public discourse here: [Sigh] "Time for me to favor those idiots at MD&DB with my brilliance, and to save them from their ignorance, again!" :rolleyes: 

Edited by Kenngo1969
57 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

I represent universities.  The public ones were woefully unprepared for a virus crisis.  I could describe how.  The private ones were hit hard yes but had better infrastructure in place.

4 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

With respect, I think that your bolded statement is far too generalistic and presumptive to be a point of expertise.

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

I’ve worked for both public and private universities, and my personal experience does not reflect this. But then, I don’t harbor an irrational hatred for public employees. 

If one is speaking of private, online only, self-described universities, that’s a different conversation. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

With respect, I think that your bolded statement is far too generalistic and presumptive to be a point of expertise.

Oh, no, no, Dear Meadowchik!  Best simply to genuflect and bow in awe at the Undeniable Brilliance that is Bob Crockett! :rolleyes:<_<  

1 hour ago, Raingirl said:

I’ve worked for both public and private universities, and my personal experience does not reflect this. But then, I don’t harbor an irrational hatred for public employees. 

If one is speaking of private, online only, self-described universities, that’s a different conversation. 

Oh, no, no, dear Raingirl!  Best simply to genuflect and bow in awe at the Undeniable Brilliance that is Bob Crockett! <_< :rolleyes: 

Who are you calling ' common ' , Rev ? We are all special here. 

That said, I hear of malls closing in various places. Will this be a permanent change?? 

Also, as newspapers go mostly on line, the demand for news print paper drops dramatically. Will that be offset by the need for cardboard for shipping ? 

Edited by strappinglad
1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

That said, I hear of malls closing in various places. Will this be a permanent change?? 

Also, as newspapers go mostly on line, the demand for news print paper drops dramatically. Will that be offset by the need for cardboard for shipping ? 

Interesting question.

8 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm an equal opportunity critic.  I don't like how either one of them approaches public discourse here: [Sigh] "Time for me to favor those idiots at MD&DB with my brilliance, and to save them from their ignorance, again!" :rolleyes: 

Ok now I have to sue you for plagiarism.  Everybody knows that is MY line and MY raison d'etra.  And for the rest of you lowbrows, I am not talking about raisins.  8)B:)

--} SARCASM {--     (kind of)   ;)

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, RevTestament said:

Oh common people. We can be better than this. This thread is being killed.

It just occurred to me that you might have meant "Come on, people," and were autocorrected. LOL

17 hours ago, strappinglad said:

There are definitely tons of systemic changes going on, some literal, some less so, and doubtless some we are not even aware of and maybe only later generations will understand.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:51 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

I think the Board suffers from many of the same maladies that afflict our public discourse more generally: One cannot simply disagree with one's interlocutors, one must prove (or at least must posit) that one's interlocutors are bad, evil, mentally and morally deficient, depraved, and on and on, ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

I would agree with you if we were having a public discourse and simple disagreement.  That is not what this was.  I was defending myself against a bully.  This was a character attack on me and the millions of other hard working public workers in America who are struggling right now.     This isn't the first time he has attacked, maligned, and denigrated public workers, accusing them of conspiring to take down the economy so they can be more lazy at work.  This is a continual attack (despite reasoned responses to his misguided attacks) by him.  Enough is enough.  My response was stern, balanced, and appropriate given the accusations and repeated attack.  When confronted with the fact that millions of public workers are themselves losing their jobs, he snubbed his nose to 1.5 million lost American jobs in a terrible job market when families are struggling with a callous, "good riddance".  In context, "you don't know what you are talking about" seemed very restrained. 

On 11/1/2020 at 10:45 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

Oh, no, no, Dear Meadowchik!  Best simply to genuflect and bow in awe at the Undeniable Brilliance that is Bob Crockett! :rolleyes:<_<  

Hmm...what was that you were just saying?   

In comparison, "you don't know what you are talking about" seems...nice.  

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, pogi said:

Nevermind

Bob Crockett has taken you to task.  If you think I should simply put my hands in my pockets and allow him to do that, okay. :huh: :unknw: 

On 10/31/2020 at 11:34 PM, Calm said:

I am certainly not saying that all government workers are venal and lazy.  I am saying nothing about Pogi; I have no idea who he is. 

But my economic training taught me that government bureaucracies are prone to inefficiencies and an inability to meet citizen demand.  

I recently came of age to be entitled to Medicare.  I lost my wonderful health plan and had to enroll, in the middle of the Covid crisis.  Medicare required me to fill out forms on line.  Frequent crashes?  Yes.  When the form was completed I was told I would receive a call from Medicare.  Months later, no call.  The expiration of my health plan was looming.  I tasked one of my employees to make calls.  After eight hours of calling, staying on line and waiting for a response, a Medicare employee answered.   Sorry, she said, the government has sent home most of the Medicare workers.   Covid.  Sorry, we aren't sure when we can back to you about your application.  No, we don't care about your loss of medical coverage. I wonder about all those seniors in my position. 

I have a client who pre-Covid has his property red-tagged for building a retaining wall that infringed upon an easement held by a public dam company. I was hired to resolve the red tag.  The entity was DOGRS, the department of oil and gas.  It took weeks to get a response to my request.  Reason?  Covid.  Meanwhile, my client was on the outs.

The County of Los Angeles closed down beaches, parking lots adjacent to beaches and county parks.  County parks are huge - mountains and hiking trails.  No park ranger ever ventures into these mountain hiking trails.  I've been on them for 25 years and have never seen a one.  But, you'd get arrested if caught on the trails.  Reason?  Covid.  The "rangers" kept their pay and were sent home, and avoided the need to maintain and supervise. 

I have a client hospital who needed permits to open a wing.  Couldn't.  Covid. 

I have two sons who attend public universities.  Weeks of inaction before starting up on-line classes, and at present there are no in-person classes.  Meanwhile, I have an employee who attends a private university.  In-person classes with adequate protections.  Immediate offering of on-line classes when the crisis hit. 

I've been accused here of "hating" government employees.  I love that accusation.  You support Trump, you thus "hate" gays and blacks.  (I don't support Trump.)   I don't "hate" government employees.  I am only saying that one of the "collateral consequences" of COVID is the complete and utter failure of our elected representatives and appointed bureaucrats to do their jobs in the time of crisis.  They run and hide.  Cowards.  The first responders have zero support; after all the help they have given us, the government is taking steps to defund them.

• Upvote 1