Jump to content

"He Must Increase, but I Must Decrease"


Recommended Posts

Luke 7

19 And John calling unto him two of his disciples sent them to Jesus, saying, Art thou he that should come? or look we for another?

20 When the men were come unto him, they said, John Baptist hath sent us unto thee, saying, Art thou he that should come? or look we for another?

21 And in that same hour he cured many of their infirmities and plagues, and of evil spirits; and unto many that were blind he gave sight.

22 Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

23 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

 

Questions:

  1. After John had openly testified that Jesus is the Christ (John 1:34-36), why did he still have any disciples (e.g., John 1:37)?
  2. If a man was following John, was he following Jesus?  Would John have agreed with your answer?
  3. Did John's remaining disciples believe his testimony of Jesus (JST Matt 21:33)?  What evidence supports your conclusion?
  4. Jesus said "he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad" (Matt 12:30).  Were John's disciples gathering with Jesus or scattering abroad (Acts 19:1-6)?
Edited by Jared Livesey
Link to post
28 minutes ago, Jared Livesey said:

 

  1. Jesus said "he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad" (Matt 12:30).  Were John's disciples gathering with Jesus or scattering abroad (Acts 19:1-6)?

He also said that "whosoever is not against us is for us."

John was a prophet of God.  He was gathering in the same way that Jesus was.   Disciple simply means a follower or student of a teacher or leader.  However, in relation to Christ, it typically refers to the 12 that he specifically called.  Perhaps John's disciples did not physically follow Christ because they were not called.  That doesn't mean that they were not his disciples in that they spiritually followed him.   One can be a disciple of a living prophet and of Christ at the same time.  I am a disciple of President Nelson and Jesus Christ. 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

What do I get, a cookie? 🍪 :P

Home made cookies are best, especially when fresh out of the oven.  I usually prefer them a bit warm.  I'm glad I know how to make them myself so I can have one pretty much whenever I want one.

Now, on to the answers:

23 minutes ago, Jared Livesey said:

Questions:

  1. After John had openly testified that Jesus is the Christ (John 1:34-36), why did he still have any disciples (e.g., John 1:37)?

Because they still liked him.

23 minutes ago, Jared Livesey said:
  1. If a man was following John, was he following Jesus?  Would John have agreed with your answer?

If he followed John as well as Jesus he was.  And yes of course John would have agreed with me, and I would have agreed with John, and Jesus too.

23 minutes ago, Jared Livesey said:

Did John's remaining disciples believe his testimony of Jesus (JST Matt 21:33)?  What evidence supports your conclusion?

Some did and some didn't, and my evidence is a testimony from God... empirical evidence.

23 minutes ago, Jared Livesey said:
  1. Jesus said "he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad" (Matt 12:30).  Were John's disciples gathering with Jesus or scattering abroad (Acts 19:1-6)?

He had some disciples who gathered with Jesus and some who didn't.  He had all sorts of disciples all over that area.

It's Friday here where I live and I think I may make some cookies tonight.  Fun Food Friday, as my wife calls it.  Yum.  Yum.

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...