Seriously No Politics ×

A Non-Political Point About a Political Ad

I've noticed a lot of bullies in the campaigns. In the crowds, everywhere. I guess they just didn't get the love they needed as children, so I'll give them that, they need a hug.

It's good to see neither of these two that made national news, being bullies or one bullying the other. I love the maturity of this concept vs. the other. We need this, or our country will not be able to withstand the division. 

But one problem I have is the negative ads that Cox has about Burgess. Of course Burgess fought/fights right back. 

So it seems odd that Cox is cozying up to one guy but not the other. Sorry if I've made it political, I voted for Cox.

Edited by Tacenda
8 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

But one problem I have is the negative ads that Cox has about Burgess. Of course Burgess fought/fights right back. 

So it seems odd that Cox is cozying up to one guy but not the other. Sorry if I've made it political, I voted for Cox.

They're not running against each other.

Cox is a candidate for governor.

Owens for congress.

59 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

They're not running against each other.

Cox is a candidate for governor.

Owens for congress.

Dummy me!! I knew this, I was thinking McAdams against Burgess. Thanks for setting me straight, I have these moments and what can I say. 

Edited by Tacenda
31 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Dummy me!! I knew this, I was thinking McAdam's against Burgess. Thanks for setting me straight, I have these moments and what can I say. 

I think we all have moments like that, on occasions.  I like to wave at them as they pass by.

I saw this a few days ago and posted the ads on facebook (I don't do politics on Facebook). I also posted them on another message board.  

When I first saw one of them I thought, "they are listening in conference about be united!"

I was a little disappointed that on facebook I only got one like.  Maybe that's  facebook not sharing it all.  Maybe everyone else is tired of politics.  I'm not big into having to have likes. I was just disappointed because I really want to give the idea of being united a try and I worry it didn't get the likes because maybe people are too one sided to consider being united.

On my message board I got a few comments, but I also got digs at one candidate.  

It makes me wonder if the ads are just too little, too late.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:09 AM, smac97 said:

hope this thread will be allowed.

The only bad thing about it is it frustrated me that a call for civility which should be the standard we all follow is so uncommon I teared up in gratitude that someone was saying it and saying it well.

A credit to all involved.

Edited by Calm
On 10/23/2020 at 1:35 PM, LoudmouthMormon said:

Smac's video/ad made national news - I heard about it in Colorado yesterday.  Quite good to hear.

Wait ... Smac97 made an ad that made national news?  Wow!  Lawyer by day, ad-man extraordinaire by night!  You're a man of many talents!  Good on ya, Dude! ;):D 

:D :rofl::D 

Sorry.  :huh:  Couldn't resist! :unknw:   

Don't mind me!

Carry on!

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Not usually big into omens but:

PcDrI8h.mp4

The eagle did it on purpose.  It is building a super fortress nest.  The limb is small enough for it to carry to the build site.  The nest can be up to 3 meters wide and 3 meters high.  Kind of like "Make Eagles Great Again"   MEGA ! ! !

On 10/24/2020 at 5:07 PM, LoudmouthMormon said:

You Utah people just need to be happy you don't have to deal with a name like Hickenlooper.

Lickenhooper? ;):D 

Sorry! :huh:

Couldn't resist! :D 

Some names are simply eminently spoonerizable. ;) 

This story in the Indianapolis Star was posted late yesterday, and while this isn't about political sportsmanship I hope the spirit of this good deed by a high school runner is something that the entire nation will take to heart today, and it reminded me of this thread:

Penn High School runner Ben Boardley did not realize his sportsmanship could have resulted in disqualification. Not that it would have mattered.

In Saturday’s state cross-country meet at Terre Haute, he saw Brebeuf Jesuit’s Faizan Khan fall as both approached the finish. Boardley stopped to help, pulling on Khan’s left arm to raise him to his feet, before both continued running.

“I just kind of saw it and did it,” Boardley said Monday. “I guess that’s how my parents raised me. They taught me to treat others how I’d want to be treated, and to be helpful when I can.”

The moment was captured on video and posted on Twitter. Some of Boardley’s friends saw the incident on a livestream and immediately texted. Others told him it was “pretty cool,” he said.

Khan connected with Boardley via Instagram on Sunday to thank him.

By rule, a runner can be disqualified for assisting another. But an Indiana High School Athletic Association official reviewed the incident and decided no violation occurred.

According to the IHSAA, the official applied NFHS Rule 4-6-5:

“A competitor who provides assistance to an injured or ill competitor should not be disqualified if neither the individual competitor providing the assistance nor his/her team gains an advantage as a result of providing the assistance.”

Out of 207 finishers, Boardley was 189th. Khan was 193rd, or eight seconds behind the Penn runner. Neither was in his team’s scoring five, so a DQ would have been irrelevant.

Neither runner wanted to be that far back in the race. Khan said he has been affected by seasonal allergies. Boardley said he, too, wasn’t in the best place but wanted to help the other runner.

3bea7997-51f2-4eba-b26e-8c93088dd33a-cen

“Because I knew if that was me,” Boardley said, “I wanted to make sure I’d finish at state.”

Boardley, an 18-year-old senior, ranks No. 6 in his class and has not yet picked a college. Penn coach Tom Miller described him as hard-working and well-mannered.

Khan began to have trouble breathing at the 4-kilometer mark of the 5,000-meter race, and later felt shooting pain through his thighs and lower back. He said he fell about five times.

“Then Ben came and helped me,” Khan said. “I told him, ‘Go finish. I can’t.’”

After finishing, Khan received medical attention in a building that is part of the Wabash Valley Family Sports Center. He said he could not stand until an hour afterward.

“At the end of the race, that’s when your true priorities show,” Khan said. “I know what Ben’s priorities are. And what his true character is like.”

I really like it when stories like this make the news.  It gives me hope.

Edited by InCognitus