Seriously No Politics ×

Amazon Alexa’s LDS “Gospel Voice”

Bernard Gui

2 hours ago, InCognitus said:

Not for Alexa, but I did try it for "Hey Google".  I saw the Church News story on Gospel Voice between Saturday conference sessions and that was the first time I heard about it, so I tried it one time.  It worked.  

I got on once and listened to a Conference talk, but ever since then I get a “non-recoverable error” message. Even after reloading the app. Bummer.

4 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

I got on once and listened to a Conference talk, but ever since then I get a “non-recoverable error” message. Even after reloading the app. Bummer.

What's up with that?!  Sorry, Dude! :(:unknw:

P.S.: When I first read this, I thought, Does Amazon Alexa's "gospel voice" sound like General Conference Primary voice? :huh::rofl:  (Sorry; :huh: Couldn't resist! ;))

Edited by Kenngo1969
17 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/pages/gospel-voice?lang=eng

My wife's Alexa enabled Gospel Voice with no problem at all. Now listening to Saints Channel Radio! Neat! Thanks for bringing this up. For some reason I had never heard of this.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:09 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

What's up with that?!  Sorry, Dude! :(:unknw:

P.S.: When I first read this, I thought, Does Amazon Alexa's "gospel voice" sound like General Conference Primary voice? :huh::rofl:  (Sorry; :huh: Couldn't resist! ;))

I went there actually, but more televangelist style.  Then once I saw the link it went to Primary Voice and then finally, oh yeah...a channel or whatever (I don’t use them at all).

Edited by Calm
11 minutes ago, Calm said:

I went there actually, but more televangelist style.  Then once I saw the link it went to Primary Voice and then finally, oh yeah...a channel or whatever (I don’t use them at all).

Thanks for not calling me out for being a total sexist! :huh: :rolleyes:  (You probably could have ...)  For the record, I've never been distracted by anybody's manner of delivery.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be called on to deliver a sermon in front of a live audience of 20,000-plus, not to mention a worldwide media audience of millions more.  So, even if there were something I find problematic about a particular speaker's delivery, I would be inclined to give that speaker the benefit of a huge doubt.) 

But I like to focus much more on the message than on the messenger.  About the closest I've ever come to experiencing anything like what a General Conference speaker must go through is speaking in Stake Conference, or when I delivered a plenary address to a multinational audience of between 500 and 1,000 people, perhaps, once.

Child Directed Speech is a well known phenomenon (especially the form of baby talk).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0388000105000161

The problem is when it is habitual enough one reverts to it when nervous in a crowd. Women in the Church have in the past been more likely to speak to crowds of children than adults for a good part of their church service, so it is understandable, if potentially annoying.  It seems to be disappearing though to me. 

Edited by Calm