Jump to content

How Can You Get Rich If You Obey?


Recommended Posts

In the first post in this series, we saw that Benjamin defined the rich as those who have more substance than sufficient for their daily needs - those who have stuff they can give to the beggars.  We saw that he defined the poor were those who did not have more substance than sufficient for their daily needs.  We saw that the poor were divided into those who have just sufficient for their daily needs, and thus literally had nothing to give to the beggars, and those who did not not have sufficient for their daily needs, who thus are the beggars and the needy.  We saw that Benjamin commanded his people to personally give their substance to those who stand in need and to every beggar.  He taught that the sole excuse for not giving to a beggar is that one is poor, having literally nothing to give.  He also taught that if one would not freely give upon request, one covets and is therefore condemned.

In the second post, we saw that the rich pertaining to the things of this world necessarily despise the poor and persecute the meek.  We saw that the hearts of the rich are upon their riches, and their riches are therefore their God.  We saw that God despises the wise, the learned, and the rich, and that his counsel to the wise, the learned, and the rich is to throw away their wisdom, their learning, and their riches, and consider themselves fools (those who believe falsehoods) before him, and come down into the depths of humility (join the ranks of the foolish, unlearned, and poor) or else he will not open the gate of the kingdom of God to them and they will never know the happiness he has prepared for the saints.

Now we look at Jacob 2:17-19 to see if it is possible to get rich while obeying God's commandments.

 

Jacob 2

 

17 Think of your brethren like to yourselves,

and be familiar with all and free with your substance,

that they may be rich like unto you.

18 But before that ye seek for riches,

seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19 And after that ye have obtained a hope in Christ,

ye shall obtain riches if ye seek them;

and ye will seek them for the intent to do good,

to clothe the naked and to feed the hungry

and to liberate the captive and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

=====

Questions:

  1. What does "Think of your brethren like to yourselves" mean? (v. 17)
  2. What does "be familiar with all" mean? (v. 17)
  3. What does "be ... free with your substance" mean? (v. 17)
  4. What does "that they may be rich like unto you" mean? (v. 17)
  5. What is "the kingdom of God"? (v. 18)
  6. With actionable specificity, how does one seek for the kingdom of God? (v. 18)
  7. What is the relationship between seeking the kingdom of God and having obtained a hope in Christ? (vv. 18-19)
  8. If you consider your brethren's needs just like you consider your own needs, and you treat everyone like family and give away your stuff to any who ask so that everyone may be just as rich as you, and you go about doing good with your stuff, clothing the naked and feeding the hungry, and liberating the captive - such as by paying off others' debts - and administering relief to the sick and the afflicted, then can you be rich as to the things of this world? (v. 19)

Bonus questions:

  1. Might doing the activities mentioned in question 8 be a good way to cast away one's riches?
  2. Are Jacob's words binding upon us?  If so, why?  If not, why not?
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Jared Livesey said:

In the first post in this series, we saw that Benjamin defined the rich as those who have more substance than sufficient for their daily needs - those who have stuff they can give to the beggars.  We saw that he defined the poor were those who did not have more substance than sufficient for their daily needs.  We saw that the poor were divided into those who have just sufficient for their daily needs, and thus literally had nothing to give to the beggars, and those who did not not have sufficient for their daily needs, who thus are the beggars and the needy.  We saw that Benjamin commanded his people to personally give their substance to those who stand in need and to every beggar.  He taught that the sole excuse for not giving to a beggar is that one is poor, having literally nothing to give.  He also taught that if one would not freely give upon request, one covets and is therefore condemned.

Your false division of everyone into rich and poor is a major problem for you here.

16 hours ago, Jared Livesey said:

In the second post, we saw that the rich pertaining to the things of this world necessarily despise the poor and persecute the meek.  We saw that the hearts of the rich are upon their riches, and their riches are therefore their God.  We saw that God despises the wise, the learned, and the rich, and that his counsel to the wise, the learned, and the rich is to throw away their wisdom, their learning, and their riches, and consider themselves fools (those who believe falsehoods) before him, and come down into the depths of humility (join the ranks of the foolish, unlearned, and poor) or else he will not open the gate of the kingdom of God to them and they will never know the happiness he has prepared for the saints.

It is simply not true that the rich necessarily despise the poor, etc.  That is a Marxist analysis, and Scripture does not say that.  Scripture always points to two types of rich folks:  Those who are generous, and those who are not.  Richness can be inherited, but it is frequently acquired through hard work and high skill -- based on merit.  The farmers (kulaks) in the Ukraine under the Soviet system grew most of the crops, and it was the breadbasket of the USSR.  However, Joe Stalin discerned that those kulaks created private wealth, something which Marxism could not abide.  So Uncle Joe killed all the kulaks and turned their farms over to the poor -- who immediately failed to properly farm it and so the Ukraine suffered mass death, and the USSR could not be fed, which resulted in still more mass death.

Your premise here is wrong, and does not account for the real world.

16 hours ago, Jared Livesey said:

............................

to clothe the naked and to feed the hungry

and to liberate the captive and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.............................

At the final judgment in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, one had to account for his behavior among the living.  The key phrases in the Book of the Dead covered clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, etc., which were identified with the righteous.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

I have a question. I earn my living working on yachts and building room additions and remodeling millionaire homes. Should I despise the people I work for? Or should I be happy that I have a job and I'm able to help the poor?

No and yes! 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
13 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

I have a question. I earn my living working on yachts and building room additions and remodeling millionaire homes. Should I despise the people I work for? Or should I be happy that I have a job and I'm able to help the poor?

You should light the yachts on fire while screaming about destroying the bourgeois. You can steal one for yourself but only if you wear spandex and become Yachtman and spend your days thwarting the nautical drug trade and rescuing whales. Your superpowers can be talking to dolphins and creating tidal waves.

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...