Conference Discussion

1 hour ago, teddyaware said:

So are you saying that prior to the 19th century (or thereabouts) marriage was basically nothing more than the modern equivalent of shacking up? Sort of an easy come, easy go “friends with benefits” arrangement without commitment?

Pair-bonding among humans (and even wolves) was never happenstantial, and the lifetime commitments were very deep in such cases.  This was reinforced by the ever-present extended family.  It is precisely the flaws inherent in the modern nuclear family which put such great burdens and expectations on couples that they frequently collapse.  Seeing this, modern hedonistic youth find no reason for such absurd commitments to a fetishized nuclear family.  The best way to encourage lack of commitment is to rip the guts out of the natural, extended family (clan of kinfolk) and put the state in its place.  Another way to weaken pair-bonding (or to make it impossible) is to saddle youth with huge debt, so that they cannot afford to marry or have children.

The issue is not common law versus formal marriage, but rather encouraging youth to get real.  We need to help, not hinder them.  Can you think of ways in which that might be done?

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Ah, so it seems that the "compatibility" issue was more about fertility than pleasure, which to me at least is probably a step up from raw physical attraction.

That seems to be the evolving rule around here was well.

In one instance, we had a missionary from Utah in our ward- a guy on his mission, to make it crystal clear, and became the father of the child of one of the young women in the ward.

Not exactly standard LDS morality.  ;)

He got ex'ed and moved to our area instead of going "home", did what was required by the disciplinary council and eventually they got sealed and are now active members with a couple of more kids,  and all that happened long enough ago that most in the ward don't even know what happened, all of which is the best possible outcome under the circumstances in my opinion.  

Those are tough times to live through and it IS better to marry than to "burn".   The good news is that they found each other and it is a happy ending.

Sounds like true love to me.  😎

• Haha 1

I don't mind some side conversations, but I would appreciate getting this back to conference discussions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
5 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Some of you youngsters under 50 ;) may not have heard this song- which was a major hit of the Everly Brothers  AND was banned by the Catholic Bishop of Boston for being too suggestive 

Well, we need to see the whole verse.

The movie wasn't so hot
It didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep
Our goose is cooked
Our reputation is shot

12 hours ago, bluebell said:

So true.  Too often we justify our hatred of our enemies, telling ourselves that God is on our side so it is o.k.  Mercy for ourselves and justice for our enemies is opposite of the gospel.

In today’s cancel culture, there is only Justice, and no mercy.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

I am moved by President Nelson this morning.

Israel:  Let God Prevail

I feel the same. So many different thoughts on this.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Yes, me too. This conference has caused some serious introspection for me and recognition of some areas in which I need to improve. 

Me too. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Yes, me too. This conference has caused some serious introspection for me and recognition of some areas in which I need to improve. 

I struggled with the second? talk about climbing up the mountain until he talked about taking one step.  It was a good talk for the beginning of conference.  A number have things have come to me either of what I should do or what I should think about doing.

For a number of years I went to Education Week and one of the speakers talked about how the family is all afraid when mom comes home from Education Week because she is motivated to change everything.  He counseled us to ponder through things, discuss them with family and not try to change everything at once.

So having the mountain/one step talk at the beginning was good because I have just made a list of things that I will think over and pray about and take a step at a time.

By the way, Education Week in online and starts tomorrow.

• Like 3

Yesterday, I forget who, but one of the speakers showed a piece of art that, I believe, they said came from the Saints book, where there was an artistic amalgamation of numerous different areas related to the church. For instance, it had a congruous geographical landscape that encompassed the Salt Lake Temple, Nauvoo, Bern, etc. Does anyone know the source of this or have a link to the actual image?

17 minutes ago, Judd said:

Yesterday, I forget who, but one of the speakers showed a piece of art that, I believe, they said came from the Saints book, where there was an artistic amalgamation of numerous different areas related to the church. For instance, it had a congruous geographical landscape that encompassed the Salt Lake Temple, Nauvoo, Bern, etc. Does anyone know the source of this or have a link to the actual image?

According to the acknowledgments page of Saints:  

Greg Newbold created the engaging artwork. 

https://illoz.com/newbold/

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

What was the first new temple?

We are excited about Vanuatu here.  

1 minute ago, Rain said:

What was the first new temple?

We are excited about Vanuatu here.  

My sister served her mission there and is living there now with her family.  She'll be stoked!

The first temple mentioned will be in Kiribati.

Edited by smac97
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chum said:

I have some conflicting feelings about Pres Nelson's 'myopic' lesson.  I support his overarching point where an assessment that seems harsh, at first, may become more loving with understanding (I would have led with 'nearsighted' which has less a less harsh history but I digress).

My conflict concerns abusive relationships where the person in power justifies their mistreatment through claims of "it seems harsh now but you will see".  (There aren't many dynamics that are common in abusive relationships but this is one.)  For folks who are living (or has lived) with controlling abuse, Pres Nelson's lesson may feel triggering.

To be clear, Pres Nelson did not err. Analogies are imprecise, people are complex and no lesson lands perfectly everywhere. However, it's been my experience that spiritual lessons (eg: forgiveness) are often insufficient for people currently undergoing abuse. My intention here is to take this opportunity to raise a bit of awareness.

Or to chum for the sharks . . .

48 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

“Where we make sacred covenants with God — the temple — is temporarily closed. Where we keep covenants with God — the home — is open.” —Elder Jeremy R. Jaggi

Love this! 

that sounds like what Elder J. Ballard Washburn of the 70 said 25 years ago at conference, but with a 2020 spin! 

"We go to the temple to make covenants, but we go home to keep the covenants that we have made. The home is the testing ground."