Seriously No Politics ×

Conference Discussion

I find the announcement of six new temples to be counsel that the "End" is still some time in the future, probably beyond a good many of our lifetimes... certainly mine.  

GG

I am super happy for Kiribati to get a temple, the history there is fantastic. Elder Perry created the 1st Stake in 1996. I thought though that they are sinking into the ocean or the ocean is rising, so I hope things will be allright?

I was just thinking about how many are being announced while some older ones don’t appear to be moving along much. It occurred to me that with some many being announced and built in areas with not that many saints in terms of numbers, it is important for Saints in the areas where building may be delayed still know they are being thought of by leaders in Salt Lake and that efforts are being made on their behalf by them even if others are preventing through their own agency the building of the promised temples.   So it makes sense to announce intent and not wait until land has been bought or the groundbreaking ceremony. 

8 minutes ago, smac97 said:

My sister served her mission there and is living there now with her family.  She'll be stoked!

She probably knows people my husband knows then.  He went with my FIL for a visit and ended up going to the temple in New Zealand on that trip when one of the families were sealed. He emails a couple of people there occasionally.

8 minutes ago, smac97 said:

The first temple mentioned will be in Kiribati.

Thanks!

Elder Holland. 

Just now, Bernard Gui said:

Elder Holland. 

Amen....

I am kind of happy after that session to have the morning ones still to listen to due to having to get some sleep in my mornings.  I wanted more. 

26 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Is that in Tarawa?  Where so  many Marines lost their lives in WW II?

Tarawa is one of the 32 atolls that make up the Republic of Kiribati.  It is the capital.  And yes, it was the site of the Battle of Tarawa during World War II.

Thanks,

-Smac

37 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

I find the announcement of six new temples to be counsel that the "End" is still some time in the future, probably beyond a good many of our lifetimes... certainly mine.  

GG

I don't think so. It means we are going to survive the Great Tribulation and keep right on needing temples when Christ gets here.. You should read the thread on it

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/73128-richardson-studies-on-second-coming/page/2/

Edited by rodheadlee
40 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I am super happy for Kiribati to get a temple, the history there is fantastic. Elder Perry created the 1st Stake in 1996. I thought though that they are sinking into the ocean or the ocean is rising, so I hope things will be allright?

Yes, and similar genetic facial features. 

6 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

I mentioned the stage setting already, but this morning I really noticed the nice warm tones of the background.  This conference goes quite well with our entertainment center.  It looked like part of our home with Elder Ballard in our living room:

1297992433_ConferenceBackground.JPG.215b990feaba6de853bcc1292ec04cf0.JPG

Very important to match your decor.

Lol, imagine if you would only watch shows that make the TV fit its surroundings.  That almost looks like you planned it. If the table runner was blue I would be suspicious.

3 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

GG

Bear in mind that those temples will be needed all during the Millennium.  So that new construction tells us nothing about the Second Coming of Christ.  What might tell us something is when the Jews build their temple in Jerusalem.  That signals the Eschaton.  No more than 15 years into the future, maybe less.

20 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

What might tell us something is when the Jews build their temple in Jerusalem.  That signals the Eschaton.  No more than 15 years into the future, maybe less.

What makes you think it’ll be within the next 15 years?

8 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

I am moved by President Nelson this morning.

Israel:  Let God Prevail

I did a review of Teryl Givens' book "Wrestling The Angel" for The Interpreter and this was my interpretation of the story of Jacob and how he "let God prevail" which from another perspective is really all about how Jacob finally "prevailed".   In my opinion, through diligence and obedience of the commandments and through surrendering to God- thereby letting Him prevail- it is WE who end up prevailing by receiving his infinitely bountiful blessings.

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.org/untangling-scripture-from-the-philosophies-of-men/

The account of this struggle is one of the most cryptic chapters in all scripture, in which Jacob receives his new name from God, “Israel,” or “he who prevails,” after wrestling all night long with the angel, interpreted to be the Lord himself.

Scripture tells us that in this struggle, Jacob “prevailed.” But how can man prevail against God?

The only way is through consistent, diligent, humble obedience, which shows worthiness. Ultimately, this is the way Israel “prevailed” against the angel — by persisting in seeking a blessing despite being completely humbled.

The story tells us that Jacob held fast to the angel and would not allow him to escape, leaving the angel no alternative but to dislocate Jacob’s hip. Jacob/Israel had lost the fight, yet Jacob still would not release the angel, insisting that the Lord give him a blessing. The angel ultimately agreed and gave him his blessing. So in the long run, Israel/Jacob “prevailed” through surrender to God and an unwavering commitment to do what was necessary to receive God’s blessings. By any objective measure, he limped away from the battle a defeated man, yet God pronounced that Jacob, now “Israel,” had prevailed by his persistence and ultimate surrender to God’s will. By struggling well to do what God ultimately desired of him, Jacob was blessed and became favored of God. The endowment of blessings resulted in God’s changing Jacob’s name to “Israel,” “He who prevails with God.”

Edited by mfbukowski
1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Bear in mind that those temples will be needed all during the Millennium.  So that new construction tells us nothing about the Second Coming of Christ.  What might tell us something is when the Jews build their temple in Jerusalem.  That signals the Eschaton.  No more than 15 years into the future, maybe less.

Are you thinking 15 years from now or 15 years after they build?

My concerns are rarely stuff that's in the headlines but this year it is. I rarely need General Conference to address my current concerns (because it rarely does) but this year I did.  However, I wasn't hopeful going in. If anything, I was dreading it.

What lies two miles past pleasantly surprised? Because that's where I am. Almost floored.  Topics I expected to be glossed over (or worse) were instead addressed directly and meaningfully. Where I'd have bet large that something wouldn't be mentioned, it got tackled.

In 50 or 60 conferences I've never experienced one like this. I mean every blue moon, I feel like the GAs throw me a bone. And of course Elder Holland often restores hope (lost following some previous speaker). But today felt like getting a surprise food order, after the kids ate the last expired can.

5 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

GG

We will need many temples during the millennium, right? And building can continue then I’d assume.  We might plan for the end to be tomorrow and hope for the best! 

15 hours ago, Duncan said:

genetic facial features? what does that mean?!

[EDIT] Oops! I thought I was responding to a post by Robert F. Smith! 🤗

Edited by Bernard Gui
13 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Comments on Women’s Session? Sister Gui can’t stop talking about Sister Eubank’s address. 

Edited by Bernard Gui