Seriously No Politics ×

Conference Discussion

Elder Cook said our church culture comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is not a judaic or gentile culture. while we rejoice in distinctive cultures we should leave behind aspects of those cultures that conflict with the gospel
He mentioned that paul wanted the saints to leave behind cultural impediments that are not consistent with the Gospel.
I am wondering what specific cultural aspects he is talking about.

I got the following post on Facebook from the Church related to Elder Cooks talk.
Interesting that they would include rather prominently what looks like a gay couple.
I guess they want to make sure they include all types of people, which is a good thing.
faccebook.jpg.ea261cfd73d0ebe5905118e032cd145d.jpg

4 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, Pres. Oaks gave a very timely and needed message.  Perhaps preaching to the choir, but still needed.  I kept thinking of Jewish novelist Andre Schwarz-Bart speaking of the "impossible love" preached by Jesus.  How can we truly love our enemies?  The Gospel can be so hard.

I think are more than just a few LDS who definitely needed that message. In some aspects, I, too, need it.

22 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Interesting that they would include rather prominently what looks like a gay couple.

Are they kissing?  Not saying it was not intended as a gay couple, but not kissing allows it to be ambiguous as if hugging or holding hands, that could be family or friends.  

And even kissing in many cultures is not most likely to be romantic.

13 minutes ago, Calm said:

Are they kissing?  Not saying it was not intended as a gay couple, but not kissing allows it to be ambiguous as if hugging or holding hands, that could be family or friends.  

In my dad's Polish family, kissing all kinds of relatives was appropriate.

33 minutes ago, Rain said:

Edit. Sorry.  Thinking I was texting my husband with this post. Lol

"Honey, can you pick up some milk and eggs when you swing by the grocery store?  I want to make French toast in the morning!  XOXO!"

Cool!  I want to watch tomorrow morning's session at your house!  What time's breakfast? :P;):D

Edited by Kenngo1969
54 minutes ago, Calm said:

The person kissing in red looks like a woman to me especially when looking at the blouse.

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

The person kissing in red looks like a woman to me especially when looking at the blouse.

Could be a woman with short hair, but that was not my first impression. It would be interesting to ask the artist what the intention was.

12 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Could be a woman with short hair, but that was not my first impression. It would be interesting to ask the artist what the intention was.

Yes.

I asked my daughter what she thought, but didn't tell her the source. She said she thinks the artist intended woman, but didn't do it well. 

Edited by Rain

The talk that actually touched me personally the most so far was actually Sister Craig's.  The others were great, but there was something about the questions in her talk that I need to look at further.

18 minutes ago, Rain said:

The talk that actually touched me personally the most so far was actually Sister Craig's.  The others were great, but there was something about the questions in her talk that I need to look at further.

A friend just shared a facebook post which I also like by Sister Craig adding to her talk.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3343310315757327&id=532607226827664

Edited by Rain
2 hours ago, JAHS said:

I got the following post on Facebook from the Church related to Elder Cooks talk.
I guess they want to make sure they include all types of people, which is a good thing.
faccebook.jpg.ea261cfd73d0ebe5905118e032cd145d.jpg

Not all of them appear to be married couples. Some are adults with children. 
What you are noticing could be a depiction of siblings. 

Edited to add: Just noticed I’m late on the draw with this. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd