Seriously No Politics ×

Covid: Trump, the Nation, and Anything

10 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Trump probably does all sorts of unorthodox things because he is not a politician. Protocol would not come naturally to him.

The rumor about that is sourced very badly. It is reported by Christina Wilkie while she worked the Center for Public Integrity but I can't find the original article on their site...if there is one. 

10 minutes later 

I found the original source. It's a tweet. I guess her publication at the time would not print it. 

This is how the mud is formed. That's all it takes. 

9 minutes ago, Rajah Manchou said:

This is a pretty funny list with things like:

2. Oct. 1, 2016: The New York Times and other media widely suggested or implied that Trump had not paid income taxes for 18 years. Later, tax return pages leaked to MSNBC ultimately showed that Trump actually paid a higher rate than Democrats Bernie Sanders and President Obama. 

See how this works? The left posts a story that isn't fully true, and then the right accuses them of lying while adding in a few convenient lies of their own.

Where is the lie? That information is from the leaked tax returns Rachel Maddow reported on her show. Unless her source was wrong or the documents are fake. That could be true. The New York times tax smear was also not accurate. Why didn't they show the documents? The taxes due line is no way represents taxes paid. Where are the documents? It did state there were no ties to Russia and that Trump was under audit. I wonder if that's true but I don't really know. 

3 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Where is the lie? That information is from the leaked tax returns Rachel Maddow reported on her show. Unless her source was wrong or the documents are fake. That could be true. The New York times tax smear was also not accurate. Why didn't they show the documents? The taxes due line is no way represents taxes paid. Where are the documents? It did state there were no ties to Russia and that Trump was under audit. I wonder if that's true but I don't really know. 

The lie is Trump said he'd release his tax forms, and he didn't. 

That's my point. If the Trump Administration could for once be forthcoming and transparent about things like his health and taxes there'd be no room for error in the reporting. But here we are.

COUGH-COUGH!

Oh, no! :(  I think I'm coming down with COVID-19! :shok::blink::huh:

(Actually, I don't think that ... but President Trump and COVID-19 is supposed to be the topic of this thread!)

2 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

COUGH-COUGH!

(Actually, I don't think that ... but President Trump and COVID-19 is supposed to be the topic of this thread!)

COVID Trump the Nation and Anything

But agree we can drop the talk about lack of transparency on taxes, its really just a related symptom to a problem related to the OP: lack of transparency on health.

Edited by Rajah Manchou
2 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

COUGH-COUGH!

Yes, pretend we didn't see the thread leading up to your quote!! 🤫🤐🤭 Covid really sucks!

1 minute ago, Rajah Manchou said:

The lie is Trump said he'd release his tax forms, and he didn't. 

That's my point. If the Trump Administration could for once be forthcoming and transparent about things like his health and taxes there'd be no room for error in the reporting. But here we are.

He said he would release them when they were done with the audit. According to Trump and the New York Times, they are still doing the audit. 

1 hour ago, pogi said:

Guarded in the hospital does not mean they are in the same room.  I think not.  They are not going to be allowed in the room.

You know for a fact that they were infected in the helicopter?  No chance they weren’t exposed to the virus?  Why are they even bothering wearing PPE then if they can’t get “more” exposed?  They might as well be sleeping right next to him without any PPE! Wouldn’t make any difference, right?

They are just waiting to get sick I guess, according to you.  I sure hope they are on isolation too then!  I doubt it.

They don’t need to go away, but they also don’t need the president placing them at increased and unnecessary risk to life for a friggin photo shoot.  They have families too.

The fact that his docs approved it just proves the rules don’t apply to him.  Other Americans aren’t allowed to get away with this kind of crap.  Even if their family member is dying!  No exception!

Oh, the sweet irony.

In other news the doctors say that Trump could possibly go home on Monday if his symptoms abate. Realistically the White House has medical facilities and even if he is ill they can send him to the White House. The danger in that is that I am told the White House medical facilities are not set up to prevent the spread of disease to others while the hospital is. I could be wrong there.

Earlier today the White House promised they would release numbers on how many people working on site have tested positive. A few hours ago they reversed the decision and have not provided any information though there are reports of staffers and other support staff testing positive.

According to the state department they have not been given any guidance to pass on to diplomatic officials as to the state of the President which is unusual.

Further information reveals that the vehicle used in the President’s visit is sealed against chemical weapon attacks so the environment was tightly sealed. Experts have said that outside of a sealed medical environment there is nothing more likely to spread the virus to other occupants. The President also did not inform the Protective press pool of the drive which is a breach of protocol.

Biden has been tested for Covid daily since possible exposure at the debate and all tests have been negative so far.

An email also went out to all White House staff to stay home if ill or if they get a positive test. It appears the White House Medical Unit will verify the ‘return to duty’ process but all other medical care should come from the staffer’s own doctor.

The supporters outside Walter Reed continue to gather. There are not t-shirts being sold. I found a few reports of too much noise keeping patients awake but the source is unconfirmed and I admit I am dubious. The few videos I saw do not have a lot of honking or any specifically loud noise but I haven’t spent much time in hospitals so I do not know how soundproof they are generally and know nothing about that specific hospital. There is a drunk guy that keeps wandering into the street and police have pulled him out at least twice. I have heard there is a vigil and prayer either planned or already happened but I could not find any photos. I am guessing it will happen or did happen.

All I got tonight. I am sure there will be more antics and twists tomorrow.

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

If the WAPO reports, it is then picked up by other news organizations and they run with it. Same with the NYT. I don't trust anonymous sources. Your, supposedly, better news sources have been running wrong, misleading, completely bogus stories about Trump for years...they even won a pulitzer for a now, completely debunked, story. For news to be trusted again we need people to go 'on the record.' The wrap-up smear is a doozy of a political hit job, but it just proves, you should not believe everything you read. Anyone else remember what Harry Reid did to Romney about his taxes? He has now admitted it was a lie but he also said, 'it worked, didnt' it? .' 

*My example was a rumor. There is just as much evidence of that rumor as what you are reporting. I  think we should not be reporting 'rumor' as fact. I was calling YOU out for the smear campaign and then you continued it with more salacious rumors. Did you hear the one about the Clinton's? Your sources are bunk. https://sharylattkisson.com/2020/09/50-media-mistakes-in-the-trump-era-the-definitive-list/

That is the article you are going to use. LOL

59 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Trump probably does all sorts of unorthodox things because he is not a politician. Protocol would not come naturally to him.

This excuse has worn thin. It comes down to Trump being too ignorant and/or stupid to possibly be held accountable for what happens in his administration. It has been four years. If he has not figured out how to do the job yet he is incapable of doing it.

7 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

He said he would release them when they were done with the audit. According to Trump and the New York Times, they are still doing the audit. 

"If I decide to run for office, I'll produce my tax returns, absolutely," he said. "And I would love to do that.

He very clearly says if I run for office, I will release my taxes. He didn't. 

My larger point is Trump loves this kind of double messaging, ambiguity and confusion. It allows him to blame the media for lying about things he said and also didn't say. Like being on oxygen. He both was and wasn't and if the media reports either way, they are lying, and not lying at the same time.

35 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

The rumor about that is sourced very badly. It is reported by Christina Wilkie while she worked the Center for Public Integrity but I can't find the original article on their site...if there is one. 

10 minutes later 

I found the original source. It's a tweet. I guess her publication at the time would not print it. 

This is how the mud is formed. That's all it takes. 

No, the original story that moved it beyond Twitter came from the Washington Post who reported they contacted friends and family of secret service agents to look into the story.

Nice try though.

15 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Did you know:

1.  Trump wasn’t in a “limo”?

At first you said they can’t get any more exposed (that is what I was responding to), but now you seem to be arguing that they weren’t exposed.

Can you verify that there is indeed a partition in the SUV?  That would make me feel less upset.

Edited by pogi
1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

No, the original story that moved it beyond Twitter came from the Washington Post who reported they contacted friends and family of secret service agents to look into the story.

Nice try though.

Source? Link? The WaPo reports on a lot of anti Trump rumors...so not really better unless it names some names or has more than the tweet.

2 minutes ago, pogi said:

Did you know:

1.  Trump wasn’t in a “limo”?

At first you said they can’t get any more exposed (that is what I was responding to), but now you seem to be arguing that they weren’t exposed.

Can you verify that there is indeed a partition in the SUV?

You don't think there is a partition? Really??? They traveled with him to the hospital, there were with him at the White House. They are at the hospital. He's even getting briefings. Oh my. 

13 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

You don't think there is a partition? Really??? They traveled with him to the hospital, there were with him at the White House. They are at the hospital. He's even getting briefings. Oh my. 

Why would there be a partition in the SUV?  Can you verify that there was one.  I have been searching and every news source I have found that directly addresses it says it can’t be verified.

Are you saying they are for sure infected with all their exposure, or are you saying they are fully protected with PPE and partitions?  Why bother if they can’t get any more exposed?  Make up your mind.  Which argument are you going to run with.

Are they in the same room with him at the hospital?  Face to face briefings?  I think not. 

Edited by pogi
23 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

He said both. At one point he said he would release them. At another time he said he could not release them due to the audit. The latter is untrue because there is no legal restriction on showing anyone your tax forms while you are being audited. The New York Times recent report on his taxes, the IRS audit investigating a claimed 72.9 million dollar refund, and the implications of the New York AG’s investigation into them give a more likely explanation as to why he was unwilling to release them. If he is found to be at fault in the IRS audit he is looking at a 100 million dollars or more owed and possible penalties for fraud. The Times investigation showed a pattern of tens of millions of dollars in losses year after year. If this is true he may be bankrupt in the next few years with debt repayments looming. If it is not true it constitutes one of the largest personal financial frauds in US history. I suspect it is the former. 

The Biden campaign is selling the possibly tacky “I paid more in income taxes than Donald Trump” bumper stickers though, to be fair, the White House is selling “Trump beat Covid” collectible coins so it is a weird time. I admit I am tempted to get one of the coins as I think it could be a collectible if he does not survive.

Again, a weird weird time. 2020 is the strangest year I have lived through.

16 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Oh, the sweet irony.

In other news the doctors say that Trump could possibly go home on Monday if his symptoms abate. Realistically the White House has medical facilities and even if he is ill they can send him to the White House. The danger in that is that I am told the White House medical facilities are not set up to prevent the spread of disease to others while the hospital is. I could be wrong there.

Earlier today the White House promised they would release numbers on how many people working on site have tested positive. A few hours ago they reversed the decision and have not provided any information though there are reports of staffers and other support staff testing positive.

According to the state department they have not been given any guidance to pass on to diplomatic officials as to the state of the President which is unusual.

Further information reveals that the vehicle used in the President’s visit is sealed against chemical weapon attacks so the environment was tightly sealed. Experts have said that outside of a sealed medical environment there is nothing more likely to spread the virus to other occupants. The President also did not inform the Protective press pool of the drive which is a breach of protocol.

Biden has been tested for Covid daily since possible exposure at the debate and all tests have been negative so far.

An email also went out to all White House staff to stay home if ill or if they get a positive test. It appears the White House Medical Unit will verify the ‘return to duty’ process but all other medical care should come from the staffer’s own doctor.

The supporters outside Walter Reed continue to gather. There are not t-shirts being sold. I found a few reports of too much noise keeping patients awake but the source is unconfirmed and I admit I am dubious. The few videos I saw do not have a lot of honking or any specifically loud noise but I haven’t spent much time in hospitals so I do not know how soundproof they are generally and know nothing about that specific hospital. There is a drunk guy that keeps wandering into the street and police have pulled him out at least twice. I have heard there is a vigil and prayer either planned or already happened but I could not find any photos. I am guessing it will happen or did happen.

All I got tonight. I am sure there will be more antics and twists tomorrow.

Here is what I have to say about his antics. “President Trump, please stop the shenanigans. People’s lives have been upended by this virus. Even with the virus you can’t muster a lot of empathy for the common folk. An acquaintance, same age as me, just passed last week from the virus. Turning your illness into a photo-op is disgusting.”

18 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Source? Link? The WaPo reports on a lot of anti Trump rumors...so not really better unless it names some names or has more than the tweet.

I found the article but I am locked out right now. I hit my free articles limit and I cannot afford to clear my cache on this tablet right now as I have another (semi-related) project ongoing. If you have access just Google “Washington Post Trump Secret Service” and you should be gold.

The Washington Post does investigate a lot of rumors about the President. It is called journalism.

It does not name names. It would be irresponsible to do so. People speak on condition of anonymity all the time.

5 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

Here is what I have to say about his antics. “President Trump, please stop the shenanigans. People’s lives have been upended by this virus. Even with the virus you can’t muster a lot of empathy for the common folk. An acquaintance, same age as me, just passed last week from the virus. Turning your illness into a photo-op is disgusting.”

He was thanking his supporters. You choose to interpret it as a photo op. That's on you. 

4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I found the article but I am locked out right now. I hit my free articles limit and I cannot afford to clear my cache on this tablet right now as I have another (semi-related) project ongoing. If you have access just Google “Washington Post Trump Secret Service” and you should be gold.

The Washington Post does investigate a lot of rumors about the President. It is called journalism.

It does not name names. It would be irresponsible to do so. People speak on condition of anonymity all the time.

I can't find the one about 'treating them as body servants.' You can copy the link even if you can't read the article.

55 minutes ago, Rajah Manchou said:

But agree we can drop the talk about lack of transparency on taxes, its really just a related symptom to a problem related to the OP: lack of transparency on health.

Edited 46 minutes ago by Rajah Manchou

No, no, no....don't put any claim on me in the opening post...my post was solely about getting the Trump stuff...whatever it was or turned out to be....out of the mainly medical related thread. 

50 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

That is the article you are going to use. LOL

This excuse has worn thin. It comes down to Trump being too ignorant and/or stupid to possibly be held accountable for what happens in his administration. It has been four years. If he has not figured out how to do the job yet he is incapable of doing it.

My pay has doubled since Trump got elected. The day he won the election money freed up for yacht repair projects and home remodel projects. I hope he wins another 4 years. If the Democrats get in those jobs will dry up. The Democrats will tax the rich to feed the poor and I'll be out of work. 

22 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

He was thanking his supporters. You choose to interpret it as a photo op. That's on you. 

No, it is on reality. We are in the middle of a campaign.

19 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I can't find the one about 'treating them as body servants.' You can copy the link even if you can't read the article.

Struggling to find that one. Apologies. I am wondering if I am misremembering the terminology. Errand boys? There was the Christina Wilkie post and there was another source that used different wording but had similar meaning but I cannot locate it. It might have even been the guy I actually contacted a few years ago. I will try again tomorrow.