Seriously No Politics ×

Covid: Trump, the Nation, and Anything

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

The Secret Service are not happy with this situation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-seemed-to-defy-the-laws-of-science-and-disease-then-the-coronavirus-caught-up-with-him/2020/10/02/5b4c5232-04bf-11eb-897d-3a6201d6643f_story.html

Someone should tell the President the history of the Praetorian Guard.

Outside a hospital with a strict quarantine, possibly with people dying getting their last zoom call with their families, and he decides to hold a parade while contagious.

From a doctor at the hospital:

In other news AG Bill Barr is now reportedly self-quarantining. This is a prevalent story but have not found a solid source for it yet. No word yet on whether, if this is true, if it is out of caution or due to a positive test.

Update: The DOJ has said that Barr’s latest test was negative. I am not sure I believe that statement.

I can also critique your source. Your doctor is very active on Twitter and doesn’t like the President.

Also, I don’t believe reports by anonymous sources. Why would you? They’ve gotten a lot wrong the last 3 years. There is an obviously agenda.

*Did you hear the report  a Secret Service agent demanded to be released from Biden’s detail because Biden groped his girlfriend? Probably not. Rumors and innuendo are only broadcast in the Wapo and NYT if it hurts Trump. Others are protected.

Edited by bsjkki
3 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

People have been there since he was admitted. They’re his supporters. He didn’t ask them to come. They just did. He is thanking them. 

I know,  it he didn’t have to drive slowly which led to screaming, etc. 

Did he go out and drive around or was that when he arrived?  If he went out, that is encouraging the noisy reaction. 

I get the desire to want to please his supporters, but there are many other patients and staff and their needs should have come first, imo, especially since they are likely already inconvenienced by security. 

Edited by Calm

So strange to do a drive-by. He reminds me of some type of dictator who thinks the people won’t know what to do without him. I do not wish him to come to any harm, but he is only one person, and is not irreplaceable. If he is voted out, the world will keep spinning, and America will move on, as we always do. 

4 minutes ago, Calm said:

I know,  it he didn’t have to drive slowly which led to screaming, etc. 

Did he go out and drive around or was that when he arrived?  If he went out, that is encouraging the noisy reaction. 

I find it highly ironic that many of those opposed to this action, supported  the protests and those screaming for hours in the face of the secret service. 

This did not expose any agents to more risk. It’s common sense to understand this.

I think the tacit approval by media and government officials to the protests/riots, fractured the nation in buying into so much of the mandated precautions. Large funerals (multiple) for some and denounced for the little people, justifiably caused people to wonder. 

This reaction, again is a media frenzy of hate. It’s sad to watch.

They’ve been out their singing and cheering. POTUS is expressing his thanks.

Trump blaming security for infecting Hicks can’t have helped though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/us/politics/secret-service-coronavirus-trump.amp.html%3f0p19G=0232

“It is very, very hard when you are with people from the military, or from law enforcement, and they come over to you, and they want to hug you, and they want to kiss you because we really have done a good job for them,” Mr. Trump said. “You get close, and things happen.”

Are military and security really the touchy feely types?  I would think that was more politician type behaviour.

Agents have been getting sick at training as well as when working and they don’t have a large force, so taking unnecessary risks is unfortunate imo. 

8 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

find it highly ironic that many of those opposed to this action, supported  the protests and those screaming for hours in the face of the secret service. 

Not me, just to be clear. I don’t approve of any screaming in the face at any time. 

It is not the agents so much as the rest of the crowd...but their choice to be there. Just think it is stupid. 

Now the noise and disturbance of those at the hospital and the neighbourhood...yeah, I do have a problem with that and by going out for a parade, the President is likely drawing more to come and hope they get a chance to see them. 

I think a hospital area should be off limits for political rallies and parades, organized or impromptu. I think the crowd should have been asked to go home.  The crowd of press is bad enough.

Edited by Calm
5 minutes ago, Calm said:

Trump blaming security for infecting Hicks can’t have helped though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/us/politics/secret-service-coronavirus-trump.amp.html%3f0p19G=0232

Are military and security really the touchy feely types?  I would think that was more politician type behaviour.

Agents have been getting sick at training as well as when working and they don’t have a large force, so taking unnecessary risks is unfortunate imo. 

They had an outbreak at training with the secret service, so I am sure their are also agents with antibodies. 

I never read that quote and interpreted he blamed law enforcement for Hope Hicks getting sick.

So much of this gets interpreted based on people’s feelings about the President. 

I did think the doctors should not take questions. They should not lie or be inaccurate. They are not trained to deal with a hostile press.

1 hour ago, Peacefully said:

So strange to do a drive-by. He reminds me of some type of dictator who thinks the people won’t know what to do without him. I do not wish him to come to any harm, but he is only one person, and is not irreplaceable. If he is voted out, the world will keep spinning, and America will move on, as we always do. 

True. America survives and will survive no matter who is President. Some in our country really like this one. For many, that is hard to believe. 

16 minutes ago, pogi said:

A quote from an attendee from the Thursday fundraiser.

“The president was socially distanced from us. I thought that was for his protection, but maybe it was for us.”

Wow.

This is a rather one-sided view of the problem that seems to be held by a lot of people around the nation.  It's not just about me and my personal rights.  Social distancing and all that goes along with it is for EVERYONE's protection.

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Also, Secret Service agents are already and have been protecting the President this entire time. No one was ‘more’ exposed due to this drive by.

If they can't handle the job they shouldn't be there. it's a sad state of affairs' when SS agents are whining.

1 hour ago, InCognitus said:

This is a rather one-sided view of the problem that seems to be held by a lot of people around the nation.  It's not just about me and my personal rights.  Social distancing and all that goes along with it is for EVERYONE's protection.

Very true.  

The reason I posted it is because it was kind of poignant to me as to how messed up it is that Trump attended this event knowing that he was a contact of a positive person and being symptomatic to the point of requiring O2 that evening.

It is completely unjustifiable.

People are making a big deal about him getting infected (rightfully so given his lack of precautions) but I think the bigger deal is his blatant violation of quarantine guidelines, endangering others.

Edited by pogi
1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

If they can't handle the job they shouldn't be there. it's a sad state of affairs' when SS agents are whining.

They generally don’t. Having spoken to one the biggest difference in assignments was whether the person you are protecting travels for the holidays. It tends to be a pain for those who watch those who do as it complicates their holiday schedule. This administration though has been using them as errand boys to grab food and fetch stuff. They treat them like bodyservants instead of bodyguards. Add in the refusal of most of the administration refusing to wear masks and take precautions about disease. It is a sad state of affairs but I think you are putting the blame on the wrong side. The Secret Service is ideally supposed to take a bullet for the President. Asking him to wear a mask to protect them shouldn’t be much of an ask but here we are.

3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Also, Secret Service agents are already and have been protecting the President this entire time. No one was ‘more’ exposed due to this drive by.

How can you say they weren’t more exposed?  They weren’t even wearing full PPE.  Even if they were, have nurses and doctors never been exposed wearing full PPE?

I didn’t make much of a deal about this because I thought he was in the back of a limo or something with a glass barrier between him and others.  Boy was I wrong!  There were several people on the car with him within 6 feet in a small enclosed space wearing masks only.  This was totally unnecessary and reckless when family members of dying patients with Covid aren’t even allowed that close to their infected loved ones, even with PPE.  
Just another example that the rules don’t apply to Trump.  It doesn’t matter who he puts at risk for a photo shoot.

3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I can also critique your source. Your doctor is very active on Twitter and doesn’t like the President.

Also, I don’t believe reports by anonymous sources. Why would you? They’ve gotten a lot wrong the last 3 years. There is an obviously agenda.

*Did you hear the report  a Secret Service agent demanded to be released from Biden’s detail because Biden groped his girlfriend? Probably not. Rumors and innuendo are only broadcast in the Wapo and NYT if it hurts Trump. Others are protected.

True, but that is not the only source. It was just my favorite. A few news organizations have run it.

I do believe many reports from anonymous sources if they seem credible and come through established and reliable journalists. It is how the news game is done. It is especially important when official sources habitually lie.

I had heard of that groping incident. It came from Judicial Watch, a conspiracy theorist group. If I remember right it was never mentioned until a decade had passed and Judicial Watch said the story was confirmed because the Secret Service said they destroyed the records. Yeah, not sure how that would be proof. The story also says that the Secret Service agents couldn’t go to a party because Biden would grope all their wives and girlfriends. The story is stupid. Why is the Secret Service having a party with Biden? Why are Secret Service agents bringing their significant others to a function involving the person they are protecting?

No major news organization found the story credible and it would have been a spicy story. The agent was reportedly furious but did not do anything with it for 11 years. Uh-huh.

Get better news sources. If you want to feed yourself from lunatics go ahead but please do not try to pass it off as credible.

8 minutes ago, pogi said:

How can you say they weren’t more exposed?  They weren’t even wearing full PPE.  Even if they were, have nurses and doctors never been exposed wearing full PPE?

I didn’t make much of a deal about this because I thought he was in the back of a limo or something with a glass barrier between him and others.  Boy was I wrong!  There were several people on the car with him within 6 feet in a small enclosed space wearing masks only.  This was totally unnecessary and reckless when family members of dying patients with Covid aren’t even allowed that close to their infected loved ones, even with PPE.  
Just another example that the rules don’t apply to Trump.  It doesn’t matter who he puts at risk for a photo shoot.

You realize, the President is guarded while he is in the hospital. While he was in the helicopter with the pilots. The agents just don't go away because he has covid. Also, agents were wearing more than just masks. This was approved by the doctors.

10 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

True, but that is not the only source. It was just my favorite. A few news organizations have run it.

I do believe many reports from anonymous sources if they seem credible and come through established and reliable journalists. It is how the news game is done. It is especially important when official sources habitually lie.

I had heard of that groping incident. It came from Judicial Watch, a conspiracy theorist group. If I remember right it was never mentioned until a decade had passed and Judicial Watch said the story was confirmed because the Secret Service said they destroyed the records. Yeah, not sure how that would be proof. The story also says that the Secret Service agents couldn’t go to a party because Biden would grope all their wives and girlfriends. The story is stupid. Why is the Secret Service having a party with Biden? Why are Secret Service agents bringing their significant others to a function involving the person they are protecting?

No major news organization found the story credible and it would have been a spicy story. The agent was reportedly furious but did not do anything with it for 11 years. Uh-huh.

Get better news sources. If you want to feed yourself from lunatics go ahead but please do not try to pass it off as credible.

If the WAPO reports, it is then picked up by other news organizations and they run with it. Same with the NYT. I don't trust anonymous sources. Your, supposedly, better news sources have been running wrong, misleading, completely bogus stories about Trump for years...they even won a pulitzer for a now, completely debunked, story. For news to be trusted again we need people to go 'on the record.' The wrap-up smear is a doozy of a political hit job, but it just proves, you should not believe everything you read. Anyone else remember what Harry Reid did to Romney about his taxes? He has now admitted it was a lie but he also said, 'it worked, didnt' it? .' 

*My example was a rumor. There is just as much evidence of that rumor as what you are reporting. I  think we should not be reporting 'rumor' as fact. I was calling YOU out for the smear campaign and then you continued it with more salacious rumors. Did you hear the one about the Clinton's? Your sources are bunk. https://sharylattkisson.com/2020/09/50-media-mistakes-in-the-trump-era-the-definitive-list/

22 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

You realize, the President is guarded while he is in the hospital. While he was in the helicopter with the pilots. The agents just don't go away because he has covid. Also, agents were wearing more than just masks. This was approved by the doctors.

Guarded in the hospital does not mean they are in the same room.  I think not.  They are not going to be allowed in the room.

You know for a fact that they were infected in the helicopter?  No chance they weren’t exposed to the virus?  Why are they even bothering wearing PPE then if they can’t get “more” exposed?  They might as well be sleeping right next to him without any PPE! Wouldn’t make any difference, right?

They are just waiting to get sick I guess, according to you.  I sure hope they are on isolation too then!  I doubt it.

They don’t need to go away, but they also don’t need the president placing them at increased and unnecessary risk to life for a friggin photo shoot.  They have families too.

The fact that his docs approved it just proves the rules don’t apply to him.  Other Americans aren’t allowed to get away with this kind of crap.  Even if their family member is dying!  No exception!

Edited by pogi
42 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It tends to be a pain for those who watch those who do as it complicates their holiday schedule. This administration though has been using them as errand boys to grab food and fetch stuff.

Can you site your source for this. I'm only finding it on Reddit and Cenk Uyger which all stems from a report by Christine Wilkie who now works for CNBC. Could not find it anywhere outside of left wing news outlets...but thanks for spreading that rumor.

11 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Anyone else remember what Harry Reid did to Romney about his taxes? He has now admitted it was a lie but he also said, 'it worked, didnt' it? .' 

That one really ticked me off.  Reid went way, way down in everything for me. It wasn’t just that it was a lie as I actually expect some from politicians, it is that he bragged about it...as a member of a faith that makes a big deal about being honest on your dealings, etc. 

49 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

They generally don’t. Having spoken to one the biggest difference in assignments was whether the person you are protecting travels for the holidays. It tends to be a pain for those who watch those who do as it complicates their holiday schedule. This administration though has been using them as errand boys to grab food and fetch stuff. They treat them like bodyservants instead of bodyguards. Add in the refusal of most of the administration refusing to wear masks and take precautions about disease. It is a sad state of affairs but I think you are putting the blame on the wrong side. The Secret Service is ideally supposed to take a bullet for the President. Asking him to wear a mask to protect them shouldn’t be much of an ask but here we are.

Trump probably does all sorts of unorthodox things because he is not a politician. Protocol would not come naturally to him.

33 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

This is a pretty funny list with things like:

2. Oct. 1, 2016: The New York Times and other media widely suggested or implied that Trump had not paid income taxes for 18 years. Later, tax return pages leaked to MSNBC ultimately showed that Trump actually paid a higher rate than Democrats Bernie Sanders and President Obama. 

See how this works? The left posts a story that isn't fully true, and then the right accuses them of lying while adding in a few convenient lies of their own.