Seriously No Politics ×

Church in Recent News Items

smac97

2 hours ago, mgy401 said:

Yup.  If the Church doesn’t significantly increase its camp capacity, it may wind up in a situation where priority in accessing its tithepayer-subsidized camps is given to YW groups, leaving the AP groups without a summer camp opportunity even though the YW and AP programs are supposed to be getting equal funding and resources.

(Of course, we could increase funding to AP quorums so that they can spend a week at a third-party-operated summer camp.  Surely no one would object to such an arrangement?  :P )

What's to stop a quorum from just planning their own camp at a national park or somewhere else? Those were the best camps we had when I was in the youth program. The BSA camps I attended were just merit badge mills. Worthwhile experiences were much more readily had at the camps we planned ourselves.

3 hours ago, Raingirl said:

Do you have a source for this? The research I’ve done shows that this has never been substantiated. Just curious why people think he was a member when it appears the only source is “I heard it from someone”. 

Unless a biographer with inside info tells us differently, it looks like he grew up Baptist, attended Baptist schools, and was buried a Baptist.  If he temporarily converted to LDS faith somewhere along the way, it would likely be when he was a schoolteacher: he was a high school English and drama teacher in Sonora, Texas, from 1953 to 1958; a sixth-grade teacher and coach at Eddy Elementary School in Carlsbad, New Mexico, and then a teacher in California.  Lots of teachers in California were LDS -- my uncle in So Calif was a H.S. principal and told me he hired lots of them.

6 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Unless a biographer with inside info tells us differently, it looks like he grew up Baptist, attended Baptist schools, and was buried a Baptist.  If he temporarily converted to LDS faith somewhere along the way, it would likely be when he was a schoolteacher: he was a high school English and drama teacher in Sonora, Texas, from 1953 to 1958; a sixth-grade teacher and coach at Eddy Elementary School in Carlsbad, New Mexico, and then a teacher in California.  Lots of teachers in California were LDS -- my uncle in So Calif was a H.S. principal and told me he hired lots of them.

And according to Wikipedia, he was a Free Methodist at some point. It looks like the Baptist affiliation is the most documented. 

1 hour ago, rchorse said:

What's to stop a quorum from just planning their own camp at a national park or somewhere else? Those were the best camps we had when I was in the youth program. The BSA camps I attended were just merit badge mills. Worthwhile experiences were much more readily had at the camps we planned ourselves.

Oh, I fully agree.

But the idea of sacrificing our time and talents to improve programs in our own wards, seems to have become somewhat passé.  I understand the fashion now is that if our own program seems wanting, we have to send petitions and letters and news reporters to Salt Lake; complaining about how some other Church program is better-funded than our own and hectoring the leadership until they promise funding parity.

5 hours ago, Raingirl said:

Do you have a source for this? The research I’ve done shows that this has never been substantiated. Just curious why people think he was a member when it appears the only source is “I heard it from someone”. 

Humm, interesting.  Maybe this is Mormon folklore.   I did find several sources that said he was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

http://www.ldsfilm.com/lds_tv.html

https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/famous-mormons.28827/

But his Wikipedia page lists him as a Methodist.  And I found this Youtube video of an interview with him.  He is smoking through the entire video.  I also read that a Baptist minister conducted his funeral.

So I think I feel for the Mormon folklore that I heard growing up which evidently is not true.

Edited by california boy
7 hours ago, california boy said:

You do know that Dan Blocker who played Hoss was a member of the Church.  I wonder if that had anything to do with how the script was written.

I had never heard that, and I don’t believe it’s correct. 

Incidentally, I saw him in a Bonanza outtake a while ago. I was shocked by his foul mouth, as it clashed so with the image I had of him when I was growing up. 

27 minutes ago, california boy said:

Humm, interesting.  Maybe this is Mormon folklore.   I did find several sources that said he was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

http://www.ldsfilm.com/lds_tv.html

https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/famous-mormons.28827/

But his Wikipedia page lists him as a Methodist.  And I found this Youtube video of an interview with him.  He is smoking through the entire video.  I also read that a Baptist minister conducted his funeral.

So I think I feel for the Mormon folklore that I heard growing up which evidently is not true.

I wonder if some may have confused him with Merlin Olsen, who definitely was a Church member. Merlin was a series regular on “Little House on the Prairie,” which starred Michael Landon, who earlier was in Bonanza. Merlin and Dan Blocker each had a stocky build, which might have led to the confusion. 

18 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Yes, those are from the Handbook. Who will regulate and patrol the Church properties?

Our Church leaders would only need to put up some signs to let everyone in our parks know what the rules and rider responsibilities are.  That would fulfill legal requirements. Then Church members and guests would then only need to govern themselves.

58 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Our Church leaders would only need to put up some signs to let everyone in our parks know what the rules and rider responsibilities are.  That would fulfill legal requirements. Then Church members and guests would then only need to govern themselves.

That doesn't follow the Church Guidelines. Looks like the Church wants activities to be supervised. Why not just use the public lands that are open to ATV use? There are plenty of those.

Activities should involve minimal risk of injury or illness to participants. Activities should also involve minimal risk of damage to property. During activities, leaders make every effort to ensure safety. By planning effectively and following safety precautions, leaders can minimize the risk of accidents.

Activities should include appropriate training and proper supervision. They should also be appropriate for the participants’ age and maturity.

Leaders should be prepared for emergencies that may occur. They should also know in advance how to contact local law enforcement and emergency services.

Edited by Bernard Gui
8 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

That doesn't follow the Church Guidelines. Looks like the Church wants activities to be supervised.

Then they simply need to tell others, whether personally or on a sign they put up, what they consider to be proper supervision.  I never ride quads alone, and none in my family do either.  We always have at least one other with us. So all we may need to do is appoint one of ourselves as the supervisor and then properly supervise the other.  This doesn't need to be overly complicated.

Edited by Ahab
On 9/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, Calm said:

I have done the same thing many times. I am slowly moving towards remembering it is upper right hand before hitting quote though.  I figure another week and it should be pretty automatic.

A week?  Nah!!!  At the rate you post, a few hours, max! ;):D

On 9/23/2020 at 5:57 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

I wonder if some may have confused him with Merlin Olsen, who definitely was a Church member. Merlin was a series regular on “Little House on the Prairie,” which starred Michael Landon, who earlier was in Bonanza. Merlin and Dan Blocker each had a stocky build, which might have led to the confusion. 

Well growing up, I always heard that Hoss was a member which is why I made the original post.  I am also familiar with Merlin Olsen, so I wasn't confusing the two.  In doing more research on this question, I did find second hand information stating that Dan Blocker was the bishop of "a friends" student ward.  Those reports were always second hand, so I am guessing probably not reliable.  

I don't think the two actors are being confused.  There was also the listing of him as a famed LDS actor by LDSfilm.com and Religious Forms that both still list Dan Blocker as a member of the Church. (see links in my post)    After the further investigation I did, I just think it was one of those Mormon folklore that got out of hand.  It appears he was never a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

1 hour ago, california boy said:

Well growing up, I always heard that Hoss was a member which is why I made the original post.  I am also familiar with Merlin Olsen, so I wasn't confusing the two.  In doing more research on this question, I did find second hand information stating that Dan Blocker was the bishop of "a friends" student ward.  Those reports were always second hand, so I am guessing probably not reliable.  

I don't think the two actors are being confused.  There was also the listing of him as a famed LDS actor by LDSfilm.com and Religious Forms that both still list Dan Blocker as a member of the Church. (see links in my post)    After the further investigation I did, I just think it was one of those Mormon folklore that got out of hand.  It appears he was never a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I agree with the folklore getting out of hand likelihood. I’m just trying to figure out how it arose. Confusion with Merlin Olsen seemed plausible to me, but it’s just a guess. 

I think Blocker died in the late 1960s or, at the latest, the early ‘70s. I’m not sure they even had “student wards” as such back that long ago.  

To answer the op, I recently watched a series that came out on hulu called Ms. America, which was a dramatic retelling of the battle over the ERA in the seventies between the women's liberation movement and Phyllis Schlafly and the Eagle Forum. Interestingly there is a scene where she calls an operator and asks for Boyd K. Packer. Mormons are mentioned a few more times, but one that made me laugh out loud is when the leaders of feminists lament at how many mormons are in Hawaii and how it's causing major roadblocks to the passing of the ERA.

23 hours ago, Ahab said:

Then they simply need to tell others, whether personally or on a sign they put up, what they consider to be proper supervision.  I never ride quads alone, and none in my family do either.  We always have at least one other with us. So all we may need to do is appoint one of ourselves as the supervisor and then properly supervise the other.  This doesn't need to be overly complicated.

You are not addressing the Church Guidelines. I don't think any of what you suggest would stand up in a lawsuit. Perhaps an attorney can clarify.

A friend was riding with his family and friends here in Washington. He went up a short hill not realizing that behind the summit was a sheer drop off. There were no warnings on the hill. Cost him his life.

Edited by Bernard Gui
2 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

You are not addressing the Church Guidelines. I don't think any of what you suggest would stand up in a lawsuit. Seems to me the owners of the private property are the ones who set the parameters of safety. Perhaps an attorney can clarify.

A friend was riding with his family and friends here in Washington. He went up a short hill not realizing that behind the summit was a sheer drop off. There were no warnings on the hill. Cost him his life.

2 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

You are not addressing the Church Guidelines. I don't think any of what you suggest would stand up in a lawsuit. Perhaps an attorney can clarify.

A sign would have helped to prevent that accident and it would have been adequate notice, as long as the sign was big enough and easy to read.  Adding some boulders near the top of the hill would have helped too.

Things could have been done, but nothing was done.  That would be a good time for a lawsuit to help bring about some necessary changes. 

It doesn't mean they should not allow riding at all, though, or that someone needs to be physically present to tell people there is a sheer drop off at the top of that hill.

13 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I agree with the folklore getting out of hand likelihood. I’m just trying to figure out how it arose. Confusion with Merlin Olsen seemed plausible to me, but it’s just a guess. 

I think Blocker died in the late 1960s or, at the latest, the early ‘70s. I’m not sure they even had “student wards” as such back that long ago.  

Looks like he died in 1971 at age 43

https://documents.latimes.com/dan-blocker-hoss-cartwright-tvs-bonanza-dies-43/

deleted

Edited by Bernard Gui