Seriously No Politics ×

Church in Recent News Items

smac97

For many years now I have kept a bookmark in my browser to check for news items about the Church.  The bookmark is a basic boolean search ("mormon" OR "mormonism" OR "LDS Church" OR "latter day saints") in the Google "News" tab, with search results sorted newest to oldest.

Anyway, two interesting news items came up this morning.  The first was a story about a long-time BSA camp in Wyoming being transferred to the Church:

An iconic Boy Scout camp in Teton County, Wyoming that has welcomed scouts for 85 years will be closed and transferred to another organization this weekend. Treasure Mountain Scout Camp first opened in 1936, and since that time has seen scouts from multiple generations having camped there and learned their scout craft. The 60-acre camp is located nine miles east of Driggs, Idaho at the western foot of the Tetons, and was one of five overnight camps and one day camp run by the Grand Teton Council. However, in recent years, the camp’s infrastructure has deteriorated, with the cost of bringing the camp up to standards becoming prohibitive when added to the costs associated with the council’s other camps. After this weekend’s formal closing ceremony, volunteers will move the scout camping gear and other supplies to the remaining camps in the council. Then, Grand Teton Council has signed an agreement to transfer control of the National Forest leased property over to the LDS church to be renovated and used as a church camp.

I'm glad the Church will be able to use this property as a church camp.  I wonder if we'll see additional instances of BSA camps being sold/transferred to the Church.

The second story is about the upcoming fourth seaons of a TV series, Fargo, summarized on Wikipedia here:

Fargo is an American crime drama anthology television series created and primarily written by Noah Hawley. The show is inspired by the eponymous 1996 film, which was written and directed by the Coen brothers. ... The series premiered on April 15, 2014, on FX, and follows an anthology format, with each season set in a different era, and with a different story and mostly new characters and cast, although there is minor overlap.
The 
first season, set in Minnesota and North Dakota in 2006 ...
The 
second season, set in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota in 1979 ...
The 
third season, set in Minnesota in 2010 ...
The upcoming 
fourth season is set in 1950 in Kansas City, Missouri, and features a cast led by Chris Rock, Jason Schwartzman, Jessie Buckley, Ben Whishaw, and Timothy Olyphant. It is scheduled to premiere on September 27, 2020.

Here's the news item:

Mormons!

For people who do not live in certain parts of America, the insertion of Mormons into the Fargo storyline might be a head-scratcher — though remember that line from The Book of Mormon about Christ’s second coming in Jackson County, Missouri? Outside of Utah, the most important sites in Mormon history are located here. That’s the explanation behind Timothy Olyphant’s character, a Mormon U.S. marshal (yep, he’s wearing a badge again) who gets caught up in the mob battle.

“America is a vast country with so many different points of view, and often, we just get a narrow window of points of view on the world,” Hawley said recently. “I included Tim Olyphant's character because I wanted to really try to get in the diaspora of American life.”

I don't have cable, and I probably wouldn't watch Fargo anyway.  But I will be interested in hearing how Olyphant's character plays out. 

It has been interesting to occasionally read about the Church or its members being depicted, with varying degrees of emphasis, on TV and in film.  There are the well-known South Park episodes ("All About Mormons" and "Super Best Friends" and "Probably").  Interestingly, the Church and its members probably receive the most respect and affection from this show, despite how profane it is.

I watched a few episodes of Big Love, which had the Church mostly as a backdrop for melodrama about polygamists.  Same goes for Sister Wives, I suspect (I've never seen any episodes of this).  The polygamy angle has also been hit by a 2008 episode of Law & Order ("Lost Boys")

"Mormons" were mentioned in passing a few times on The SimpsonsFrasier and Cheers,

Bonanza had some interesting, and kind, things to say (see here).

There seem to be quite a few members of the Church on reality shows.

Cold Case apparently had a controversial episode with a serial killer known as the "Mormon kid."  There was also apparently a subplot involving Mormons in 2013's Hell on Wheels.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
10 minutes ago, smac97 said:

For many years now I have kept a bookmark in my browser to check for news items about the Church.  The bookmark is a basic boolean search ("mormon" OR "mormonism" OR "LDS Church" OR "latter day saints") in the Google "News" tab, with search results sorted newest to oldest.

Anyway, two interesting news items came up this morning.  The first was a story about a long-time BSA camp in Wyoming being transferred to the Church:

I'm glad the Church will be able to use this property as a church camp.  I wonder if we'll see additional instances of BSA camps being sold/transferred to the Church.

The second story is about the upcoming fourth seaons of a TV series, Fargo, summarized on Wikipedia here:

Here's the news item:

I don't have cable, and I probably wouldn't watch Fargo anyway.  But I will be interested in hearing how Olyphant's character plays out. 

It has been interesting to occasionally read about the Church or its members being depicted, with varying degrees of emphasis, on TV and in film.  There are the well-known South Park episodes ("All About Mormons" and "Super Best Friends" and "Probably").  Interestingly, the Church and its members probably receive the most respect and affection from this show, despite how profane it is.

I watched a few episodes of Big Love, which had the Church mostly as a backdrop for melodrama about polygamists.  Same goes for Sister Wives, I suspect (I've never seen any episodes of this).  The polygamy angle has also been hit by a 2008 episode of Law & Order ("Lost Boys")

"Mormons" were mentioned in passing a few times on The SimpsonsFrasier and Cheers,

Cold Case apparently had a controversial episode with a serial killer known as the "Mormon kid."  There was also apparently a subplot involving Mormons in 2013's Hell on Wheels.

Thanks,

-Smac

I remember seeing the Bonanza episode as a kid growing up in the Salt Lake Valley in the sixties.  It was quite the sensation for us locally. The series was extremely popular in its day, and to have such a highly watched TV show give a friendly and sympathetic portrayal of us was a welcome thing. It didn’t matter that the characters in this two-part episode were polygamists. That was consistent with the time period and the setting (Nevada territory) being portrayed. The script even had our 13th Article of Faith being recited. 

Can anyone here cite a recent instance of the Church being treated sympathetically in secular entertainment media on the order of popularity of Bonanza? 

17 hours ago, smac97 said:

For many years now I have kept a bookmark in my browser to check for news items about the Church.  The bookmark is a basic boolean search ("mormon" OR "mormonism" OR "LDS Church" OR "latter day saints") in the Google "News" tab, with search results sorted newest to oldest......................................

Sounds like equal opportunity production values.  So who would be the ultimate LDS law enforcement image -- Orrin Porter Rockwell, or Mitt Romney as a Mormon Marshal?

On 9/22/2020 at 9:33 AM, smac97 said:

Thanks,

-Smac

Yes, we are the leaven.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:33 AM, smac97 said:

If we're talking mormons in shows, one of my personal favorites are the Mormons in the Sci-fi series The Expanse.  They are in the background of several episodes, but the detail is amazing.  Set in the future, the church has commissioned building a massive ark for a multigenerational journey into deep space called The Nauvoo.  It is a massive structure with a gold angel Moroni atop it.  The viewer hears about this, because The Nauvoo is stolen, abandoned, salvaged, renamed The Behemoth, and put into service by the Outer Planets Alliance.  President Whatsisname has several scenes when the thing is stolen, he looks like any of us in his suit and mannerisms.  The Nauvoo's interior looks pretty much as exactly as we would make a temple spaceship look - I doubt any LDS artist/designer/architect could have done a better job.

I can't find the slightest hint of mockery, scorn, commentary, or negative agenda with including a future-LDS-spaceship in the show.  It's quite odd to see basically temple design elements on the set of a sci-fi show, but there you go.

hqdefault.jpg

Here's a pretty cool 360 degree walkthrough.  If you're not interested in seeing a non-LDS production of a futuristic lds baptismal font-turned-belter-warship, you probably want to skip it.

9 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

If we're talking mormons in shows, one of my personal favorites are the Mormons in the Sci-fi series The Expanse

Ah, I forgot that one.  

9 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

They are in the background of several episodes, but the detail is amazing.  Set in the future, the church has commissioned building a massive ark for a multigenerational journey into deep space called The Nauvoo.  It is a massive structure with a gold angel Moroni atop it.  The viewer hears about this, because The Nauvoo is stolen, abandoned, salvaged, renamed The Behemoth, and put into service by the Outer Planets Alliance.  President Whatsisname has several scenes when the thing is stolen, he looks like any of us in his suit and mannerisms.  The Nauvoo's interior looks pretty much as exactly as we would make a temple spaceship look - I doubt any LDS artist/designer/architect could have done a better job.

I can't find the slightest hint of mockery, scorn, commentary, or negative agenda with including a future-LDS-spaceship in the show.  It's quite odd to see basically temple design elements on the set of a sci-fi show, but there you go.

Hmm.  Maybe it's worth a look.

Thanks,

-Smac

On 9/22/2020 at 6:55 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

I remember seeing the Bonanza episode as a kid growing up in the Salt Lake Valley in the sixties.  It was quite the sensation for us locally. The series was extremely popular in its day, and to have such a highly watched TV show give a friendly and sympathetic portrayal of us was a welcome thing. It didn’t matter that the characters in this two-part episode were polygamists. That was consistent with the time period and the setting (Nevada territory) being portrayed. The script even had our 13th Article of Faith being recited. 

Can anyone here cite a recent instance of the Church being treated sympathetically in secular entertainment media on the order of popularity of Bonanza? 

You do know that Dan Blocker who played Hoss was a member of the Church.  I wonder if that had anything to do with how the script was written.

13 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Sounds like equal opportunity production values.  So who would be the ultimate LDS law enforcement image -- Orrin Porter Rockwell, or Mitt Romney as a Mormon Marshal?

Ohhhh! A great movie could be made about Porter Rockwell without having to invent anything. What an interesting character! I suggest Sam Elliot to portray him.

Edited by Bernard Gui
On 9/22/2020 at 6:55 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

Star Trek's "Too much LDS?"

President John Young in "Messiah." Seems like a fair treatment of Latter-day Saints. At least he's not portrayed as an oddball religious zealot. Stereotyped choice of character name, though. If he were a minority or woman Mormon President....now that would be edgy!

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 hour ago, california boy said:

You do know that Dan Blocker who played Hoss was a member of the Church.  I wonder if that had anything to do with how the script was written.

Do you have a source for this? The research I’ve done shows that this has never been substantiated. Just curious why people think he was a member when it appears the only source is “I heard it from someone”. 

I wonder if the Church will support trails for riding quads in their camps.  I hear Idaho is a pretty good state for quad trails and that quads are legally allowed on public roads.  I haven't been to Idaho to ride quads yet but am planning to go someday.  More places to ride would be a good thing.

Re the scout camp:  I’m aware of several substantial land gifts that were made to the BSA over the past few decades by practicing Church members who at least implicitly believed that the LDS/BSA partnership would be perpetual and that the land was going to be used (at least in part) by LDS youth.  Not sure to what degree that expectation may have been memorialized in any transfer documents; but ever since the split was announced I’ve wondered if the estates of individual Church members—if not the Church itself—might begin taking legal action against the BSA demanding the return of those properties.

9 minutes ago, mgy401 said:

Re the scout camp:  I’m aware of several substantial land gifts that were made to the BSA over the past few decades by practicing Church members who at least implicitly believed that the LDS/BSA partnership would be perpetual and that the land was going to be used (at least in part) by LDS youth.  Not sure to what degree that expectation may have been memorialized in any transfer documents; but ever since the split was announced I’ve wondered if the estates of individual Church members—if not the Church itself—might begin taking legal action against the BSA demanding the return of those properties.

I think it might be less expensive and easier for the Church to simply buy the properties from the BSA than to go to court to get them, over time, as the BSA goes bankrupt.  But I suppose we will see what works out.

19 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I think it might be less expensive and easier for the Church to simply buy the properties from the BSA than to go to court to get them, over time, as the BSA goes bankrupt.  But I suppose we will see what works out.

Yup.  If the Church doesn’t significantly increase its camp capacity, it may wind up in a situation where priority in accessing its tithepayer-subsidized camps is given to YW groups, leaving the AP groups without a summer camp opportunity even though the YW and AP programs are supposed to be getting equal funding and resources.

(Of course, we could increase funding to AP quorums so that they can spend a week at a third-party-operated summer camp.  Surely no one would object to such an arrangement?  :P )

Just now, mgy401 said:

Yup.  If the Church doesn’t significantly increase its camp capacity, it may wind up in a situation where priority in accessing its tithepayer-subsidized camps is given to YW groups, leaving the AP groups without a summer camp opportunity even though the YW and AP programs are supposed to be getting equal funding and resources.

(Of course, we could increase funding to AP quorums so that they can spend a week at a third-party-operated summer camp.  Surely no one would object to such an arrangement?  :P )

Or they could alternate years. 

51 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I wonder if the Church will support trails for riding quads in their camps.  I hear Idaho is a pretty good state for quad trails and that quads are legally allowed on public roads.  I haven't been to Idaho to ride quads yet but am planning to go someday.  More places to ride would be a good thing.

Too much liability.

15 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Too much liability.

Hmm.  Does that mean you think I can sue the state of Idaho when I crash my quad while riding on public property in Idaho?  And sue the USA government when I crash my quad in federal parks?  

Or do you think law suits are limited to only private individuals and corporate entities?  I wouldn't have even thought of suing God for crashing in one of his Church parks, but if the law would allow it, maybe I would.

Edited by Ahab
35 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Hmm.  Does that mean you think I can sue the state of Idaho when I crash my quad while riding on public property in Idaho?  And sue the USA government when I crash my quad in federal parks?  

Probably, if you can prove negligence on the part of the government. I am not a lawyer.

Government entities, like other individuals and businesses, have a responsibility to keep visitors safe from harm. When they forego this duty, they are guilty of negligence. For any personal injury claim to be successful, the injured party must prove this negligence existed. And, while in some cases negligence is blatant, after injury at a state park, it may not be so easy to prove.It is certainly easy to show that a government agency owned and controlled the state park property. However, if an injury was sustained on a natural hazard, receiving damages may be difficult. For there to be negligence, an individual must show that the government agency knew about the hazardous condition and neglected to address it. If a natural hazard was known to the park, but there were no signs posted warning patrons of the danger, the park’s negligence may be grounds for a lawsuit. https://www.colleyshroyerabraham.com/blog/2016/06/can-i-sue-if-injured-while-at-a-state-park/

35 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Or do you think law suits are limited to only private individuals and corporate entities?  I wouldn't have even thought of suing God for crashing in one of his Church parks, but if the law would allow it, maybe I would.

Yes, someone will sue the Church if they are injured on Church property. Note the following Safety Guidelines.....

Safety Precautions

Activities should involve minimal risk of injury or illness to participants. Activities should also involve minimal risk of damage to property. During activities, leaders make every effort to ensure safety. By planning effectively and following safety precautions, leaders can minimize the risk of accidents.

Activities should include appropriate training and proper supervision. They should also be appropriate for the participants’ age and maturity.

Leaders should be prepared for emergencies that may occur. They should also know in advance how to contact local law enforcement and emergency services.

Accident Response

If an accident or injury occurs on Church property or during a Church-sponsored activity, leaders observe the following guidelines, as applicable:

Render first aid. If a person needs medical care beyond simple first aid, contact emergency medical services, the bishop or stake president, and the parent, guardian, or other next of kin.

In case of a missing person or fatality, immediately notify local law enforcement authorities and cooperate fully with them.

Provide emotional support.

Do not encourage or discourage legal action against the Church, and do not make commitments on behalf of the Church.

Gather and preserve witness names and information, accounts of what happened, and photographs.

Accident Reporting

The bishop, stake president, or designated member with knowledge of the incident should promptly report the following online at incidents.ChurchofJesusChrist.orgif:

An accident, injury, or illness requiring medical attention occurs on Church property or during a Church-sponsored activity.

Damage to private, public, or Church property occurs during a Church-sponsored activity.

Legal action is threatened or anticipated.

If there is a fatality or missing person, the stake president (or a bishop or designated member under his direction) immediately takes one of the following actions:

In the United States and Canada, he first calls the Risk Management Division at Church headquarters (1-801-240-4049; after business hours or on weekends, call 1-801-240-1000 and the operator will contact someone immediately) and then the Area Presidency.

Outside the United States and Canada, he notifies the Area Presidency.

Leaders also report injuries and damage involving Church facilities or property to the facilities manager.

Insurance and Questions

Leaders should review the applicability of the Church Activity Medical Assistance Program if an injury occurred during a Church-sponsored activity, event, or assignment. For information about insurance, see 20.6.9.

The stake president (or a bishop under his direction) refers questions about safety issues or claims against the Church to the Risk Management Division or to the area office.

Edited by Bernard Gui
2 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Yes, someone will sue the Church if they are injured on Church property. Note the following Safety Guidelines.....

Are those the Church's own Safety Guidelines?  Maybe the Church leaders would amend them to reflect what they would expect quad riders to be responsible for while riding on Church property.

Maybe like how the state of Oregon requires an ATV license to ride quads on Oregon state property.  I would expect there to be some rules and rider responsibilities.

58 minutes ago, Ahab said:

for some reason I seem to have more trouble finding the Edit button now.

Upper right hand corner of the post in the three dot menu. Bottom option (along with report and share)

Edited by Calm
2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Upper right hand corner of the post in the three dot menu. Bottom option (along with report and share)

yeah i found it and know where it is now but i didn't have this much trouble using the Edit button before.  For some reason I'm clicking on Quote when I want to Edit.  Like the Edit button used to be near the Quote button.

6 minutes ago, Ahab said:

yeah i found it and know where it is now but i didn't have this much trouble using the Edit button before.  For some reason I'm clicking on Quote when I want to Edit.  Like the Edit button used to be near the Quote button.

I have done the same thing many times. I am slowly moving towards remembering it is upper right hand before hitting quote though.  I figure another week and it should be pretty automatic.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Are those the Church's own Safety Guidelines?  Maybe the Church leaders would amend them to reflect what they would expect quad riders to be responsible for while riding on Church property.

Maybe like how the state of Oregon requires an ATV license to ride quads on Oregon state property.  I would expect there to be some rules and rider responsibilities.

Yes, those are from the Handbook. Who will regulate and patrol the Church properties?