Detachment

I'm at the point where I'm just not as angry as I used to be, it's too much effort, stressful and puts no money in my pockets.  I find myself detaching from things that just irritated me as well as a lot of things outside of my personal world.  Anyone  know much about detachment?  The numbing feeling is quite freeing actually.

Just be careful it isn’t depression. The use of “numbing” in your description is a bit concerning. 

I get that form of depression among others. It is useful as protection but life doesn’t go anywhere so as to not need the protection anymore. While not bothered by much, nothing gives much joy or happiness either. Hard to get motivated to do anything but what makes me comfortable. 

Is your experience more along the lines of this:

https://www.yogajournal.com/yoga-101/practice-detachment

Edited by Calm
  • Upvote 1
On 9/21/2020 at 2:43 PM, poptart said:

I'm at the point where I'm just not as angry as I used to be, it's too much effort, stressful and puts no money in my pockets.  I find myself detaching from things that just irritated me as well as a lot of things outside of my personal world.  Anyone  know much about detachment?  The numbing feeling is quite freeing actually.

"The world is too much with us" (Wordsworth).  Too many of us "lead lives of quiet desperation" (Thoreau).  Our fervent concerns "don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world" (Rick in Casablanca).

You are on the right track, poptart.  8)

• Like 1
On 9/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, The Nehor said:

Being too lazy to hold a grudge can be an advantage.

This about sums it up actually, grudges are too much effort.

I got the idea while listening to the cure actually, it's how I think Robert Smith problem solved.  Disintegration really is one of the best albums ever....

Just now, poptart said:

This about sums it up actually, grudges are too much effort.

I got the idea while listening to the cure actually, it's how I think Robert Smith problem solves.  Disintegration really is one of the best albums ever....

On 9/24/2020 at 11:53 AM, katherine the great said:

Detachment can be seen as a coping strategy in certain toxic environments. I agree with Calm though that it can be dangerous if it lasts too long or if one becomes detached from healthy relationships. 

Unless one is a Buddhist.

8 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Unless one is a Buddhist.

That detachment is different.  Buddhist detachment is seeing things for what they are, accepting we live in Samsara and in the end, many of the things we see around us are illusionary and transitory.  I think many in the contemporary USA would dislike that as live and let live as an idea is gone and everyone expects everyone else to contribute while they do nothing in return.  Detachment makes it harder to be exploited, society kinda hates that.

• Upvote 2