Seriously No Politics ×

About the New Board 'Upgrade.

Years ago something went wrong and suddenly I noticed we had the ability to edit each other's posts. You have no idea how tempting it was to not say anything and create all sorts of mischief. :lol:

11 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

Years ago something went wrong and suddenly I noticed we had the ability to edit each other's posts. You have no idea how tempting it was to not say anything and create all sorts of mischief. :lol:

MorningStar, I've noticed that when I quote, I'm able to fix spelling mistakes, lol. I think I've done this maybe one or two times. 

I usually so internet stuff on my phone now as my IPad blanks out or is so slow on many sites, so while I noticed this almost immediately I forgot about it until just now when I used my iPad again.  On the right hand side of some threads they have a FAQs section with top posters, etc.  I need to figure out when I see it and when I don't.

Added:  it looks like it may just be in Social Hall.  I can't decide if I prefer it with or without.  It takes up a lot of room, but it is kind of fun to see the popular posts, posters, and days of a particular thread.  I don't think it does much for Social Hall, but it would be interesting to see it at work in this forum.

Edited by Calm
5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Since the upgrade, I’m now getting nagged to update my email address. I hesitate to do that because it says I will have to re-establish my account. Does that mean I will lose the record of my total number of posts and rep points?

You need to update it or confirm it’s still good.  It does not affect your account.  We have had numerous issues with bounced emails and users leaving notifications on So our inbox would get full.  

44 minutes ago, Calm said:

I usually so internet stuff on my phone now as my IPad blanks out or is so slow on many sites, so while I noticed this almost immediately I forgot about it until just now when I used my iPad again.  On the right hand side of some threads they have a FAQs section with top posters, etc.  I need to figure out when I see it and when I don't.

Added:  it looks like it may just be in Social Hall.  I can't decide if I prefer it with or without.  It takes up a lot of room, but it is kind of fun to see the popular posts, posters, and days of a particular thread.  I don't think it does much for Social Hall, but it would be interesting to see it at work in this forum.

I found the setting and removed the topic summary thingy.

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

You need to update it or confirm it’s still good.  It does not affect your account.  We have had numerous issues with bounced emails and users leaving notifications on So our inbox would get full.  

So do you prefer we go into our account, into notification settings and turn off email notifications?

8 minutes ago, Calm said:

So do you prefer we go into our account, into notification settings and turn off email notifications?

Not if they are being used.  The email confirmation notice will come up every 6mths so as long as things are up to date it’s not an issue.  

On 9/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, Calm said:

I just saw in a resurrected thread a “four weeks later...” insert above the unread replies divider. 

I love it. I get a sense I am watching a drama and it has a time jump conveyed by a banner or whatever it might be called “3 years later...”

That works better for me than guys suddenly wearing glasses and women suddenly having four more inches of hair or a more ‘mature’ style.  I prefer precision. 

Besides the edit option moving and requiring scrolling and clicking twice, I am really liking this upgrade. 

Thanks!

And now I just edited this.  Double thanks- first post after switcheroo- thanks for the instructions

Edited by mfbukowski

Not complaining, just observing...

The arrow returning back to the quoted post is inconsistent.  Sometimes it isn’t even going back to the original post, sometimes it lines up with the bottom of that post, sometimes it shows the whole thing. The original post having quotes in it may be what is influencing the variations. Will need to pay more attention to figure it out. 

I am noticing that when an unread post contains a quote and I use one of the go to first unread posts options, at times the top of the screen is the beginning of the reply part, not the beginning of the post with the quote.  If it is the last post in a thread and is a short post, it may include some of the quote due to the size of the screen. 

added:  when using next unread topic option at the bottom right of a thread post page, it appears to line up the bottom the screen with the bottom of the first unread post, which means scrolling up for a long post. Maybe the programmers are used to message boards with short posts. It seems an odd choice. 

and added:  nope, next long post landed me right under the poster’s name so I had to scroll up to see that, but saw the first quote. Weird. 

Edited by Calm

And when I submit a reply I am now reminded by doing so, rather than showing my reply, at times it appears to show someplace random on the page of the thread. Will have to pay attention to see if there is a pattern there. 

Edited by Calm

I notice that when we tap or click on the heart icon we are now presented with a menu of four options: heart, “ha-ha,” “up-vote” and “thanks.” Since only one of these is designated as “up-vote,” is that the only one that contributes to our cumulative total?

Edited by Scott Lloyd