Seriously No Politics ×

A Comprehensive Chart of Satan's Abilites

NoahVail

On 9/20/2020 at 12:24 AM, InCognitus said:

Regarding the Job chapter 1 verses (6-7), all of the commentaries that I've ever read on those verses describe this as a "heavenly scene", but that has always bugged me because the text never says that.  And I see it is in the context of the prior verse, describing it as a time for presenting of burnt offerings:

Good catch.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:24 AM, InCognitus said:

This context also has Satan going to and fro in the earth and walking up and down it.   But I find the language of the sons of God coming "to present themselves before the LORD" to be very much like the language elsewhere in scripture where the priests are making offerings three times a year in coordination with the feasting times:

And also Deuteronomy 16:16:

So in Job 1:5-7 and Job 2:1-2 it sounds like to me that the sons of God were doing their normal offerings before the LORD on the predetermined "day" like they have done before, and Satan came among them and decided to but in to the conversation.  I've never read anything that supports my opinion on this so I may be out in left field, but I also don't believe in reading more into a verse than it actually says.

Cool. The question is why does Satan come then and not just whenever? Is the Lord coming down to the offering times?

On 9/20/2020 at 11:40 AM, NoahVail said:

I'm not challenging the existence of Satan.  My questions are about understanding the characteristics outside his psychology.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:54 AM, NoahVail said:

To the first, that's where my follow up questions would eventually go. They're about differences/similarities in abilities between Christ & Satan and any beings who might have been created between them and ourselves.

To the second, my understanding is Satan is pretty tempty with us, right? If that weren't the case, I'd probably want to know that.

Okay, I hear you. Since I don't really see Satan as a single being, or any being(s), then yea I would be talking off to the side of you :). Good luck in your explorations.

And, yes, I don't accept the premise of 'temptation'. And I haven't been tempted ever since I realized there isn't any. So obviously this is super not mainstream for LDS, and I'm not that.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, rpn said:

He apparently can take over the bodies of pigs though.

Actually, he can't.

The story goes this way: the man is possessed by multiple devils. They are driven out, but are given permission to go into the pigs nearby. They attempt this, but the pigs cannot bear it and go commit mass suicide.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, Maidservant said:

Good catch.

Cool. The question is why does Satan come then and not just whenever? Is the Lord coming down to the offering times?

That's a good question.  The role of "the satan" character in the book of Job is different than in other books of the Bible.  His role in the book is to test the loyalty of the followers of God, and he's not the evil "accuser" as he is elsewhere.  So it may be, in his role in the book of Job, his opportunity and means of conversing with God are the same as it is with the sons of God.  

On 9/20/2020 at 1:22 PM, NoahVail said:

I like you. You're funny.

Folks are answering; together we're zeroing in.  It's been good.

Thirty years ago I ripped-off my screen name from a 50yo Firesign Theater album.  When signing up here, I lacked the ambition to come up w/ anything better.

I do have fun examining dark things (as part of healing). My best guess is you're translating fun into mockery. If so, that's kind of sad. Fun isn't mockery nor does it preclude sincerity.

I did sign up on on other LDS board while I was waiting on this one to process my application. If we take these two boards and add them to every other platform where I discuss similar content - we get two boards.  Although I haven't actually done any Satan stuff at the other one. I could though.

Also, I appreciate all your interest in me. I absolutely adore talking about myself. Anytime is good!

But you are aware that your screen name is similar to or perhaps derived from that of a notorious ex-Mormon provocateur, right?

BTW, this kind of topic would get better attention in the General Discussions area.

Edited by Bernard Gui
4 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

But you are aware that your screen name is similar to or perhaps derived from that of a notorious ex-Mormon provocateur, right?

BTW, this kind of topic would get better attention in the General Discussions area.

No.

At the time of posting, the only room I had a "Start New Topic" button was this one. It wasn't clear why that was.

27 minutes ago, NoahVail said:

No.

At the time of posting, the only room I had a "Start New Topic" button was this one. It wasn't clear why that was.

The similarity between your screen name and that of a prominent anti-Mormon may be the reason some may have reservations. I did when I first saw it. I assume you are not that person?

Edited by Bernard Gui
4 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

This is the 2nd reference to this. As much as I like stirring the pot, I've no desire to trigger folks. I'd be find with scrapping this username for another.

1 hour ago, NoahVail said:

No.

It is the same 25 posts issue as editing, you can start new threads anywhere once you hit that count...we were getting new posters coming in and starting inflammatory threads, so the mods decided to remove the temptation by only allowing new posters to post in here where no arguments are allowed.  Posters tend to just ignore or report those threads in this forum.

12 minutes ago, NoahVail said:

This is the 2nd reference to this. As much as I like stirring the pot, I've no desire to trigger folks. I'd be find with scrapping this username for another.

I can 'report' your post if you want to change your name.  That tends to be the best way to contact mods I have found...likely because in the past apparently they got a lot of bounce notices in their email, I am now guessing.

Never occurred to me that Vail might be an intentional misspelling of Veil, but if Bernard considered it a possibility, others likely will, so if you don't want people to ask in the future if there is a connection, you might want to change it.

16 minutes ago, Calm said:

I can 'report' your post if you want to change your name.  That tends to be the best way to contact mods I have found...likely because in the past apparently they got a lot of bounce notices in their email, I am now guessing.

Never occurred to me that Vail might be an intentional misspelling of Veil, but if Bernard considered it a possibility, others likely will, so if you don't want people to ask in the future if there is a connection, you might want to change it.

I'm not that invested in this handle; I can just start over fresh. It's not hard to find another 25 posts of things to say.

Maybe I'll be RecoveringEvangelicalBigot or REB.  Or not.