Mental Health and Deaths of Despair

Was reading this and had to wonder, if things really get out of control and the USA starts seeing the same suicide rates that Eastern Europe has, what do you think, if any would be the governmental/societal response?  Would they just let them pass away like homeless drug addicts?

https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-mental-health-burnout-lonely-depressed-money-stress#deaths-of-despair-are-also-on-the-rise-3

• Like 2
14 hours ago, poptart said:

Was reading this and had to wonder, if things really get out of control and the USA starts seeing the same suicide rates that Eastern Europe has, what do you think, if any would be the governmental/societal response?  Would they just let them pass away like homeless drug addicts?

https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-mental-health-burnout-lonely-depressed-money-stress#deaths-of-despair-are-also-on-the-rise-3

They already do just that.  As the economy gets worse and life seems hopeless, depression will increase.  This may make the Great Depression look like a boring weekend.  In fact, the only thing which really got us out of that Great Depression was World War II.  Gave us all a purpose, and everybody had a job.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

They already do just that.  As the economy gets worse and life seems hopeless, depression will increase.  This may make the Great Depression look like a boring weekend.  In fact, the only thing which really got us out of that Great Depression was World War II.  Gave us all a purpose, and everybody had a job.

Glad I don't have nor want children, considering how people are getting now would be a lousy time to grow up in.  I know some people who are soon to be parents who's smugness has really gone down, they're irritated at the prospect of having to move to the midwest and leave places like CO behind them as the cost of living skyrockets along with crime.  What i'm waiting for is for the locals in other states to do like i've seen in WA, absolutely nothing when someone's home gets robbed.  Why risk your neck for someone who's different than you politically and socially?  They don't have your interests in mind.  I look at what i've seen and read about in WA and OR, going to be interesting to see just how nasty people get. 

The real irony is the only people i still talk to out there who saw this coming were either Mormons or Catholics who were involved in gov't or the church at some level.  From what i glean online the rest were totally blindsided.  Some of these people were very much entitled, always assumed society would be there to clean up there mess. 

• Like 2
On 9/17/2020 at 8:04 PM, poptart said:

I really dislike articles that only quote percentages. It can be highly misleading for readers. 

For example, this report appears to have an agenda to represent that Blacks have been especially hard hit with an increase in suicides. However, when doing just a quick research on this analysis, the reality is different:

• "The new report shows that while suicide rates between 1999 and 2017 rose for nearly all racial and ethnic groups analyzed, disparities among those groups are substantial. The uptick was especially steep among Native Americans and Alaska Natives, with suicide rates climbing 139% among women and 71% among men in that time frame.

High rates of poverty, unemployment and substance misuse, as well as limited access to mental health care and other services, likely contribute to the higher risk of suicide among native populations, health experts say."

Without an agenda, the reality is that Native Americans should be the focus with the steepest increase in suicide rates. Additionally, males still commit suicide more than females even though there has been a narrowing of the gap between the two sexes. The most significant issues were ignored in order to present a skewed preference or agenda to support a cause. 

Edited by Storm Rider
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

I really dislike articles that only quote percentages. It can be highly misleading for readers. 

For example, this report has agenda to present that Blacks have been especially hard hit with an increase in suicides. However, when doing just a quick research on this analysis and the reality is different:

• "The new report shows that while suicide rates between 1999 and 2017 rose for nearly all racial and ethnic groups analyzed, disparities among those groups are substantial. The uptick was especially steep among Native Americans and Alaska Natives, with suicide rates climbing 139% among women and 71% among men in that time frame.

High rates of poverty, unemployment and substance misuse, as well as limited access to mental health care and other services, likely contribute to the higher risk of suicide among native populations, health experts say."

Without an agenda, the reality is that Native Americans should be the focus with the steepest increase in suicide rates. Additionally, males still commit suicide more than females even though there has been a narrowing of the gap between the two sexes. It is as if the most significant issues were ignored in order to present a skewed preference or agenda to support a cause. 

Here's one, how do the more fortunate ones weather this?  When society really starts getting bad i'd think it makes the better off not only spend more to shield their children from this, it makes it difficult all around.  What other methods do they have save trying to find a safer place to live and shoving meds down their kids throats?  Don't take that the wrong way, I knew lots of bad parents growing up and save neglect and sometimes abuse that was how they parented, with drugs. 

BTW appreciate what you said about the natives, most people don't care about them at all.  Irritates me, things like this still happen in places like WA, places that like to think they're above racism.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/sequim-neighbors-fight-to-block-tribes-plans-for-an-opioid-treatment-center/

Irony, the most racist people I ever met were in WA, disgusting.  Proud public liberals till it's their "pristine" white suburbs are affected. 

Edited by poptart
11 minutes ago, poptart said:

Here's one, how do the more fortunate ones weather this?  When society really starts getting bad i'd think it makes the better off not only spend more to shield their children from this, it makes it difficult all around.  What other methods do they have save trying to find a safer place to live and shoving meds down their kids throats?  Don't take that the wrong way, I knew lots of bad parents growing up and save neglect and sometimes abuse that was how they parented, with drugs. 

Depression does not recognize a race, socio-economic levels, or gender. It affects the religious and non-religious. It is possible that those in higher income levels can obtain mental health support for the individuals that are affected; however, that does not equate to a successful outcome. It may help, but it does not remove depression. 

I understand that some parents have been overly reliant on prescription medications to treat a wide range of ills in their children. That is where a skilled medical professional can assist the community - stopping parents from obtaining the drugs that are not warranted or being abused. 

12 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

Depression does not recognize a race, socio-economic levels, or gender. It affects the religious and non-religious. It is possible that those in higher income levels can obtain mental health support for the individuals that are affected; however, that does not equate to a successful outcome. It may help, but it does not remove depression. 

I understand that some parents have been overly reliant on prescription medications to treat a wide range of ills in their children. That is where a skilled medical professional can assist the community - stopping parents from obtaining the drugs that are not warranted or being abused. 

What saved me was mom, to this day her nieces and nephews are stable and med free, granted they've never lived here.  The relatives from the mainland?  Different story.  Seems like the lot of em always have some problem that ends with meds of some sort. And of course, the parents are too busy with whatever, society and schools have to come together to do their job.  Anyone dares to mention it and the first thing you hear is Don't judge me!!  Yet petty racism against others is still excused.