Harmony of the Gospels

The church has a chronological harmony of the gospels.  It was pretty much created in 1974.   

Personally I prefer putting the genealogy of Jesus after the premortal life and before the annunciation to Zacharias.  

Do any of you see something you would switch up?  Do you know of more recent harmonies that you feel are better because we have more knowledge now?  

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

This is tough to find.  I don't know if it has been superseded by, or incorporated into, a newer product or not, but I have seen other products compiled by Steven and Julie HIte, for whatever that's worth.  But I have The New Testament With the Joseph Smith Translation"Includes all textual changes made by the Prophet Joseph Smith and The Four Gospels in Chronological Harmony and Parallel Columns."  The ISBN for the version I have is 0-9642325-1-0.  Again, for what it's worth.  Happy hunting! :D

P.S.: As hard as this might be to find, if it weren't for Ye Olde Internet, I suspect Robert's would be impossible to find! :D

P.P.S.: It says additional copies are available from the publisher, but this information is from ... 1994! :shok::blink:

The Veritas Group, 560 South 500 East, Orem UT 84058; (801) 224-2903.

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 1
On 9/16/2020 at 8:01 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

This is tough to find.  I don't know if it has been superseded by, or incorporated into, a newer product or not, but I have seen other products compiled by Steven and Julie HIte, for whatever that's worth.  But I have The New Testament With the Joseph Smith Translation"Includes all textual changes made by the Prophet Joseph Smith and The Four Gospels in Chronological Harmony and Parallel Columns."  The ISBN for the version I have is 0-9642325-1-0.  Again, for what it's worth.  Happy hunting! :D

P.S.: As hard as this might be to find, if it weren't for Ye Olde Internet, I suspect Robert's would be impossible to find! :D

P.P.S.: It says additional copies are available from the publisher, but this information is from ... 1994! :shok::blink:

The Veritas Group, 560 South 500 East, Orem UT 84058; (801) 224-2903.

The basic problem with such harmonies is the false assumption that the Gospels are actually chronologically arranged.  They are not, and each of them disagrees with the others on the sequence of events.  They were each composed late in Christian Church history to reflect piety and worship in the early Church.  Jesus did not have secretaries or scribes taking dictation, and none of his followers kept a running list of events for later publication.  Jesus taught in Aramaic, while the Gospels are in Greek.  Each Gospel author(s) sat down to write a reminiscence about Jesus, to try to capture the essence of his teachings.  Some scholars even deny that Jesus ever claimed to be the messiah.  Not only can scholars not agree on where Jesus was born, but they cannot agree on whether he actually rose from the dead.  These are entirely matters of faith.

• Upvote 2
On 9/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, Rain said:

The church has a chronological harmony of the gospels.  It was pretty much created in 1974.   

Personally I prefer putting the genealogy of Jesus after the premortal life and before the annunciation to Zacharias.  

Do any of you see something you would switch up?  Do you know of more recent harmonies that you feel are better because we have more knowledge now?  

The book Jesus the Christ written by James Talmage is the best harmony of the gospels that I have read.  It begins with what we know of his premortal history and goes up to these latter days.