Jump to content

God and King George


Recommended Posts

On 9/12/2020 at 8:03 PM, nuclearfuels said:

"I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love." -lyrics from King George's song You'll be Back in Hamilton though I'm more of a Jeffersonian myself.

Sounds quite similar to the God of the Old Testament, and during Old Testament times of the BoM as well.

So then, if King George who had supplied troops, supplies, etc. to the colonists for years is forgotten by his subjects - similar to those who forgot and forget God - how is King George astray when he is trying to act like God, the highest example any of us can follow?

In other words, if God and King George are using parallel arguments, how can one of them be correct and the other incorrect?

 

 

Good and evil run parallel to each other but in opposite directions so the fact that something is parallel to something else doesn't mean it is true or good or even funny.

Edited by Ahab
  • Like 1
Link to post
On 9/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, nuclearfuels said:

"I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love." -lyrics from King George's song You'll be Back in Hamilton though I'm more of a Jeffersonian myself.

Sounds quite similar to the God of the Old Testament, and during Old Testament times of the BoM as well.

So then, if King George who had supplied troops, supplies, etc. to the colonists for years is forgotten by his subjects - similar to those who forgot and forget God - how is King George astray when he is trying to act like God, the highest example any of us can follow?

In other words, if God and King George are using parallel arguments, how can one of them be correct and the other incorrect?

 

 

Such a great song! :)

Interesting question. I've seen/heard/been taught many times about the God V Adam and Eve parenting model. It's essentially a model of clear communication and then tough love. But if God sets the example of tough love and hard, painful consequences, and then someone like King George follows that example, is King George wrong?  After all, the rebellious people of the revolution are only heroes because they won, and history declared their cause righteous, otherwise the rebellion and history could have likened them to Satan and his minions rebelling against God.

Personally, I find the God model of parenting to be quite problematic. Would we ever enforce consequences like the flood on our disobedient children? Of course not. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Such a great song! :)

Interesting question. I've seen/heard/been taught many times about the God V Adam and Eve parenting model. It's essentially a model of clear communication and then tough love. But if God sets the example of tough love and hard, painful consequences, and then someone like King George follows that example, is King George wrong?  After all, the rebellious people of the revolution are only heroes because they won, and history declared their cause righteous, otherwise the rebellion and history could have likened them to Satan and his minions rebelling against God.

Personally, I find the God model of parenting to be quite problematic. Would we ever enforce consequences like the flood on our disobedient children? Of course not. 

When considering the fact that death is just a process of taking us to some other state or realm, basically just moving us from one place to another place, I see it as pretty much the same thing as making us go to another room.

If you don't stop doing that and start behaving better I'm going to send you out of this room! And then they don't, and you do.

Only problem with us doing that to our brothers or sisters is that our Father has told us that we shouldn't do that.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Ahab said:

When considering the fact that death is just a process of taking us to some other state or realm, basically just moving us from one place to another place, I see it as pretty much the same thing as making us go to another room.

If you don't stop doing that and start behaving better I'm going to send you out of this room! And then they don't, and you do.

Only problem with us doing that to our brothers or sisters is that our Father has told us that we shouldn't do that.

"If you don't stop doing that and start behaving better I'm going to send you out of this room!" via an agonizing death.      :) 

Honestly, in addition to death, I also don't support banishment as a consequence anything except the most egregious violations. My father tried following God's banishment example a couple of times

So the message from God is "Follow my example, except when I tell you not to". Really?

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...