Any Church-related Covid Outbreaks?

For those who have returned to in-person Church meetings....

Has anyone in your congregation contracted the virus as a result?

We are still closed to public meetings in Washington. So far, no one in our ward has had COVID flu. 

nobody here, but I know one member(not personally who died from it) Our temple dedication has been postponed because of it. Which in hindsight nobody o God's green earth wants to stand around outside in November waiting for a tour or something. Pass 

We've been back at church (two sundays a month in Davis County UT) since June and so far we've had no one in the ward that has had it.

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

I know of 3 families in our ward who have had it - there could be more, I don't know.  I know of 2 because they are in young men's.  I know of one other, but don't know how they contracted it.  Unless the person knows that they had contact with a positive case at church, they wouldn't know if they were infected at church or somewhere else.   Often, people involved in an outbreak have no idea where or how they were infected, or that they are part of an outbreak.

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

We are still closed to public meetings in Washington. So far, no one in our ward has had COVID flu. 

Just curious, how do you know that?  

I don't mean to be a nitpicker, but just to prevent confusion it is best not to associate Covid with the flu.  2 different bugs. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

November in Winnipeg, shirt-sleeve weather. Now January, that's another story. 🥶

Get chinooks there?  I loved those in Calgary.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Duncan said:

they do not🥶

Too bad.  They made the winter enjoyable to me as I prefer cold and love the look of snow and the crunch, etc., but it can get old, so a warming day here and there purging the old snow was great.

• Like 2

Haven't been to Church at all, even though there are socially distanced meetings.  I know of no one by name who has gotten COVID-19 here in Utah Valley, and people are wearing masks.  Just now I am thinking of my regular flu shot, where and when to get it.

55 minutes ago, Calm said:

Too bad.  They made the winter enjoyable to me as I prefer cold and love the look of snow and the crunch, etc., but it can get old, so a warming day here and there purging the old snow was great.

I had a bit of climate shock driving from Utah to Arizona on Tuesday.  I was totally unprepared for the snow storm that I had to drive through on I-15.  Leaving Arizona a week earlier with 115 degree heat, it never even crossed my mind to pack a coat.  It was about 33 degrees and near 40 MPH winds when I stopped one time for a brief break. I prefer photographs of snow over the real thing any day.  :) 

• Like 2

I heard that all of the Twelve, the Seventy who spoke, and all of the other General Authorities and general officers of the Church who spoke, died of COVID-19 from last General Conference due to a failure to wipe down the pulpit after each speaker. <_<:rolleyes:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/safely-increasing-activity-during-covid-19

Area Presidencies, under the guidance of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, are tasked with approving meetings and activities in their areas. The First Presidency letternotes that, beginning in November 2020, stake conferences may be held virtually or with careful social distancing. An enclosure to the letter says weekly worship can resume immediately, depending on local conditions. (See details from the Utah Area Presidency.)

“In challenging times,” the enclosure says, “disciples of Jesus Christ continue to follow Him by participating in His work of salvation and exaltation.” This work goes forward in every circumstance.....

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/multimedia/file/utah-area-resource-covid-19.pdf

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Calm said:

I love that they approved virtual meetings.

First Hour Sunday Worship Services at Church and at Home

...As noted above, the Sunday worship service at Church should be simultaneously
broadcast to ward members who choose to participate from their homes. The broadcast
should be streamed live and should not be recorded or posted to the internet.

And it sounds like second hour will only be virtual, if I understand correctly.

Second Hour Church Meetings Broadcast Over the Internet.

We invite all wards and branches to begin holding second hour meetings on Sunday
afternoons over the Internet. The virtual meeting should be live and not recorded or posted
to the Internet. Interactive meeting applications, such as Zoom, should be used so that class
or quorum members can participate. Second hour meetings should follow the same 
alternating pattern which was followed by wards prior to the suspension of meetings due to
the Covid-19 pandemic

Edited by pogi
1 hour ago, pogi said:

I love that they approved virtual meetings.

And it sounds like second hour will only be virtual, if I understand correctly.

Virtual Sunday school sounds horrible. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

An employee of mine went to a Ward level FHE group in a BYU Ward.  One guy had Covid two Mondays ago and now dozens are sick including my employee

I may be wrong, but I believe there will be spikes no matter how long or how incrementally we wait to open things up. I’m pretty much resigned that sooner or later Sister Gui and I will contract it. We are going to a hybrid school schedule at the end of the month. Unless she resigns or receives some sort of leave or reassignment, I believe it will be inevitable. I’m encouraged by continuing improvements in treatment, but it remains a dangerous disease for our age group.  

Edited by Bernard Gui
59 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Virtual Sunday school sounds horrible. 

It beats what I have had for a long time.  I am tired of church at a 4 year old level.  I am excited to be able to have some adult spiritual lessons without the risk of Covid.  I think it is a great idea.  Of course nothing will be as good as in person meetings, but it is a good compromise given the circumstances.

Edited by pogi
  • Like 2
On 9/11/2020 at 7:56 AM, Bernard Gui said:

Nope. No one in our entire stake has been infected (that we know of), either before or after we returned to in-person meetings. It helps that most of our members (including me) live in a jurisdiction that has only had just over 100 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the outbreak began, and all but one of those were returning travellers who acquired the virus elsewhere (mostly in America). Our quarantine system seems to have served us well, with only one known case of local transmission, which was caught quickly and stopped.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 2
On 9/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, Bernard Gui said:

Back in July, right as in-person meetings were starting up, there was a person whom tested positive in one of the wards.  They had attended the previous two weeks, but weren't showing any symptoms or had taken any test at that time.  The local wards suspended all in-person stuff for several weeks to be extra cautious.   I didn't hear of anyone catching it from this case.  

• Like 1