Seriously No Politics ×

Any Church-related Covid Outbreaks?

We just heard from our bishop after he met with the stake, who had met with the area authority, that, at least in our stake, they are ending authorization for doing the sacrament at home unless you have a specific reason for not being able to be at church (high risk type stuff).

So that'll bring back some that have been staying away.

We've been having 1st hour over Zoom for just over a month and we just added a 2nd hour schedule.

From my perspective, this is a much more spiritual experience, than IRL sacrament meeting was.  There's no jarringly loud PA, no super dense crowds, there's less politics to contend with and the talks even seem better (no 2 min talks wedged into 15 min time slots).

I haven't felt this positive about church in years.

5 hours ago, NoahVail said:

We've been having 1st hour over Zoom for just over a month and we just added a 2nd hour schedule.

From my perspective, this is a much more spiritual experience, than IRL sacrament meeting was.  There's no jarringly loud PA, no super dense crowds, there's less politics to contend with and the talks even seem better (no 2 min talks wedged into 15 min time slots).

I haven't felt this positive about church in years.

Are you an introvert?  Do you watch it by yourself or with family?  Do you prepare for doing so...maybe not dress up, but ensure the surroundings are clean, etc.?

I do think those who choose to create a moment of sacred space and time and who may often be distracted by their physical surroundings at church, may be able to focus better on the spiritual aspect than they are in a chapel.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, Bernard Gui said:

For those who have returned to in-person Church meetings....

Has anyone in your congregation contracted the virus as a result?

Not to our knowledge.

We have been tracking every known case of COVID-19 among our members, and nobody in our ward has contracted it from attending church.

The most common source of infection seems to have been from kids: traveling home from college, working over the summer, hanging out with friends / not social distancing, etc.

The Spanish branch in our Stake got hit pretty hard, but (again) that was mostly people getting it from work - not church related.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Are you an introvert?  Do you watch it by yourself or with family?  Do you prepare for doing so...maybe not dress up, but ensure the surroundings are clean, etc.?

I do think those who choose to create a moment of sacred space and time and who may often be distracted by their physical surroundings at church, may be able to focus better on the spiritual aspect than they are in a chapel.

Introvert, yes. Also an extrovert.

Watch by myself? Yes.  Watch with my family? Yes.

Prep the surroundings? No.  Prepping should increase the spirituality gap between home and chapel, correct?  That'd be okay.

On balance tho, being home is much more peaceful. I dread the thought of going back to our very, very loud chapel, ceaseless politics and crowds.

1 hour ago, Amulek said:

Not to our knowledge.

We have been tracking every known case of COVID-19 among our members, and nobody in our ward has contracted it from attending church.

The most common source of infection seems to have been from kids: traveling home from college, working over the summer, hanging out with friends / not social distancing, etc.

The Spanish branch in our Stake got hit pretty hard, but (again) that was mostly people getting it from work - not church related.

The one family that I know of in our ward got it from their son in college.

17 hours ago, Rain said:

Oh, my area is very quirky.  Comparing masks to Muslim face coverings, getting after people in testimony meeting near veterans day for not honoring the veterans during the meeting yet, telling people covid doesn't exist,  The man my husband ministers to even asks my husband for a blessing often and then mocks him when he comes wearing a mask. 

It just didn't occur to me for some reason till you said something that that might be the reason why, but it makes perfect sense.  

My bishop is a really good man.  He had cancer just as we moved here and I suspect that helps with him requiring masks from the start of our meetings.  He also before we started wrote in his email that staying home from meetings did not mean you were less faithful or that members going were more faithful.  I have a feeling that had been brought up to him at some point.  

I wonder if it would be viewed differently for people who don't attend for different reasons.

- Don't attend because high risk   -Seems very acceptable. Statement about faithfulness applies

-Don't attend because not comfortable due to virus concerns (for whatever reason)  - Seems acceptable. Statement would seem to apply

-Don't attend because they aren't comfortable wearing a mask (or just don't want to. - Seems unacceptable

- Don't attend because just prefer shorter at-home church doing sacrament without having to get dressed up and drive to the church- Seems unacceptable.

But I could be wrong ;)

6 minutes ago, Rain said:

The one family that I know of in our ward got it from their son in college.

The school->kid->home vector is a tough one.  That's a heavy weight for kids to carry & a huge worry for custodial grandparents.

I'm not aware of any Covid transmission in our ward. Regarding PPE usage in the building, leadership had a bit of a rough start but got better quickly. Going forward, our ward building should be reasonably safe.

47 minutes ago, NoahVail said:

Introvert, yes. Also an extrovert.

Watch by myself? Yes.  Watch with my family? Yes.

Prep the surroundings? No.  Prepping should increase the spirituality gap between home and chapel, correct?  That'd be okay.

On balance tho, being home is much more peaceful. I dread the thought of going back to our very, very loud chapel, ceaseless politics and crowds.

I do remember those days, of hearing cringe-worthy comments that were so politically off base. And the cliques and feeling quite alone on some Sundays. Or if you didn't have the right outfit, maybe I was shallow. I must be an introvert and extrovert depending on the environment. 

5 hours ago, NoahVail said:

The school->kid->home vector is a tough one.  That's a heavy weight for kids to carry & a huge worry for custodial grandparents.

I'm not aware of any Covid transmission in our ward. Regarding PPE usage in the building, leadership had a bit of a rough start but got better quickly. Going forward, our ward building should be reasonably safe.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Which is bizarre to me that so many are out there partying as if there is no risk to anyone else. 

It is very difficult for my daughter who lives with us.  My husband and I are both high risk.  She is very aware of this.  She just graduated and will hopefully go to grad school next year but she is dying for social life.  When she goes to events where they say they will social distance they don't actually distance and almost always don't wear masks.

Last night her singles ward had FHE for the first time with "social distancing".  She said she was the only one actually distancing though the others were in small groups not all together.  It really makes her feel lonely.

Edited by Rain
24 minutes ago, Rain said:

Last night her singles ward had FHE for the first time with "social distancing".  She said she was the only one actually distancing though the others were in small groups not all together.  It really makes her feel lonely.

I get breaking some rules like distance, it is the not wearing masks that astounds me.  Given how often youth like to present themselves as idealistic, social activists, and more concerned with others than the materialistic older generations, something so simple and so visible showing you care...and yet they don’t. 

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Calm said:

I get breaking some rules like distance, it is the not wearing masks that astounds me.  Given how often youth like to present themselves as idealistic, social activists, and more concerned with others than the materialistic older generations, something so simple and so visible showing you care...and yet they don’t. 

I played pickle ball with my former neighbors this morning and right after, they were discussing covid. They are active in the church and they were discussing how covid was made out to be a much bigger deal than necessary. One of them said that the masks are depleting the carbon monoxide of the students that wear them at school and could make them sick. 

Then another, a semi-retired nurse, said that we probably wouldn't have had a problem if it wasn't made so public, because it's probably similar to a flu like virus. I'm assuming that the problem she was referring to was with the school/business closures.  

One of them said if she got it, she'd probably not want to tell anyone because if a health provider knows they will make you tell them who you've been around so those persons will have to quarantine. I do understand the worry here, by not wanting to put someone's life on hold.

It went on and on and sadly I was not strong enough to put much of my opinion in because I'd like to keep playing pickle ball and afraid of being the odd man out. I believe it's these attitudes that has hurt us and stalled the getting over this virus business. People refusing to believe it's as serious as it is or those that don't want to rock the boat, especially in the political arena. 

Oh, I did say this...that covid can be the tipping point to someone dying, and that they wouldn't have died so soon had it not been for covid. And then that started a tangent about the hospitals saying it's covid instead of the disease someone has!!! Help!!

I wonder if these attitudes spread around like wild fire and because people like me, try to get along rather than take a stand. :( I sure needed you and others on this board around. :(

ETA: This video is trending, some likening it to a SNL skit. It's that crazy! https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/no-more-masks-hundreds-attend-anti-mask-mandate-rally-in-st-george/

Edited by Tacenda
56 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I played pickle ball with my former neighbors this morning and right after, they were discussing covid. They are active in the church and they were discussing how covid was made out to be a much bigger deal than necessary. One of them said that the masks are depleting the carbon monoxide of the students that wear them at school and could make them sick. 

Then another, a semi-retired nurse, said that we probably wouldn't have had a problem if it wasn't made so public, because it's probably similar to a flu like virus. I'm assuming that the problem she was referring to was with the school/business closures.  

One of them said if she got it, she'd probably not want to tell anyone because if a health provider knows they will make you tell them who you've been around so those persons will have to quarantine. I do understand the worry here, by not wanting to put someone's life on hold.

It went on and on and sadly I was not strong enough to put much of my opinion in because I'd like to keep playing pickle ball and afraid of being the odd man out. I believe it's these attitudes that has hurt us and stalled the getting over this virus business. People refusing to believe it's as serious as it is or those that don't want to rock the boat, especially in the political arena. 

Oh, I did say this...that covid can be the tipping point to someone dying, and that they wouldn't have died so soon had it not been for covid. And then that started a tangent about the hospitals saying it's covid instead of the disease someone has!!! Help!!

I wonder if these attitudes spread around like wild fire and because people like me, try to get along rather than take a stand. :( I sure needed you and others on this board around. :(

ETA: This video is trending, some likening it to a SNL skit. It's that crazy! https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/no-more-masks-hundreds-attend-anti-mask-mandate-rally-in-st-george/

Yes, I saw that.  The one that really killed me was that we shouldn't wear masks because of sexual predators.  

11 minutes ago, Rain said:

Exactly how I thought. And because it's in Utah then everyone will throw around that is a "mormon" thing. 

I should have added that they are protesting masks everywhere in the world. But their comments were so bad, it's funny. I saw a few tank tops! ;) 

3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I should have added that they are protesting masks everywhere in the world. But their comments were so bad, it's funny. I saw a few tank tops! ;) 

I just saw a video about St George. I didn't click on you link, but assumed it was what I saw from the link name.

It won't matter about the tanktops.  Many just see Utah and think "mormon".

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Totally embarrassing. 

This reasoning doesn’t make sense:

“Let me tell you why I hate masks, they’re contaminated,” 

So it is better to just breathe in all the contaminated air rather than leaving hopefully most of it on the mask?  And even if because it is on the mask one breathes in some of the particles left on the mask that were prevented from being inhaled originally, that is still less of the contaminates than if one was unmasked. 

22 hours ago, Tacenda said:

They were discussing how covid was made out to be a much bigger deal than necessary.

One of them said that the masks are depleting the carbon monoxide of the students that wear them at school and could make them sick. 

Another said that we probably wouldn't have had a problem if it wasn't made so public, because it's probably similar to a flu like virus. I'm assuming that the problem she was referring to was with the school/business closures.  

One of them said if she got it, she'd probably not want to tell anyone because if a health provider knows they will make you tell them who you've been around so those persons will have to quarantine.

In Florida, we were on our way to emptying out our nursing homes & retiree communities before instituting restrictions. Our nursing homes that didn't lock down in time wound up with dead patients. Retiree communities in our populous counties were starting to rack up body counts.

If your neighbors wisdom had prevailed, Covid would have burned thru The Villages & hundreds of smaller communities. Florida would have become a different state. Given FL's demographics, I might have wound up hearing less politics on Sunday. That would have been a painfully arrived-at outcome.

6 hours ago, NoahVail said:

In Florida, we were on our way to emptying out our nursing homes & retiree communities before instituting restrictions. Our nursing homes that didn't lock down in time wound up with dead patients. Retiree communities in our populous counties were starting to rack up body counts.

If your neighbors wisdom had prevailed, Covid would have burned thru The Villages & hundreds of smaller communities. Florida would have become a different state. Given FL's demographics, I might have wound up hearing less politics on Sunday. That would have been a painfully arrived-at outcome.

Sad thing is, my own daughter thinks covid is a joke, along with masks! She doesn't believe in the numbers or anything. She swallowed the pill, or drank the kool-aid or whatever that saying is. She thinks it's just like the flu basically. She thinks we should all get it, and wearing masks are useless, she thinks they do no good. I blame a good deal of this on whatever people like her are reading/watching out there. It's difficult to have these arguments with her. I wish I had a solid case to convince her. I'm glad Florida got their act together before losing so many more. :(

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Sad thing is, my own daughter thinks covid is a joke, along with masks! She doesn't believe in the numbers or anything. She swallowed the pill, or drank the kool-aid or whatever that saying is. She thinks it's just like the flu basically. She thinks we should all get it, and wearing masks are useless, she thinks they do no good. I blame a good deal of this on whatever people like her are reading/watching out there. It's difficult to have these arguments with her. I wish I had a solid case to convince her. I'm glad Florida got their act together before losing so many more. :(

Has she looked at videos or does she think they are fake?

https://youtu.be/yimp_98UmLw

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-tour-coronavirus-icu-ward-bergamo-italy-worst-apocalyptic-2020-3

Edited by Calm
16 minutes ago, Calm said:

And this is the daughter that works for the church around the elderly sometimes, which she wears a mask for thankfully. I will definitely send these her way. My other son, who is very level headed brought something up tonight that was a good comeback for her. He said what if we let everyone get it, then what would the hospitals do if everyone came in for help. I'll give her this line as well, thanks!! ETA: Hadn't watched the links you provided until after I responded, the links correlate to what my son said, thanks. Also, it seems her age group, don't watch regular news or channels. They just watch HULU, or channels like that. So they don't watch nightly news, or even catch what's in these links!

Edited by Tacenda