Seriously No Politics ×

'Real' Salt Lake Housewives?

JAHS

Bravo Releases First ‘Real Housewives of Salt Lake City’ Trailer

These are "real" Salt Lake housewives?  Riiiight 🙄

real.jpg.3805a4c7253f08a0bd03f698063ca6f6.jpg

Bravo is taking us to Utah!

The network just released the trailer for their upcoming reality series The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City.
The trailer introduces fans to the new ladies: Lisa Barlow, Mary Cosby, Heather Gay, Meredith Marks, Whitney Rose, and Jen Shah.
If you didn’t know, Salt Lake City is the global headquarters for Mormons, however, not all the women follow the religion.
Meredith is Jewish, Mary is Pentecostal, and Lisa is “Jewish by heritage and Mormon by choice.” Both Whitney and Jen have left the Mormon church. We’re sure some drama is going to go down because of the different religions!
Andy Cohen announced the latest installment of the Real Housewives franchise back at BravoCon in November.
“You didn’t see it coming but I have to tell you, in Utah, you have the majesty of the mountains, the Mormon religion, an exclusive community of people who have very successful businesses who live in their own universe,” Andy said at the time. “It is gorgeous and I think you’re going to be really surprised and intrigued by the group of women we’ve found.”

I wonder if they just rejected any active, devout Latter-day Saint women (though I suppose Lisa Barlow could be active and devout and still view the clothing choice as okay as a performance outfit as opposed to everyday use) or if those women weren't interested.

who live in their own universe,”

This sounds disgustingly self centered and nothing to be proud about.  Perhaps it means something else besides how I read it. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

I wonder if they just rejected any active, devout Latter-day Saint women (though I suppose Lisa Barlow could be active and devout and still view the clothing choice as okay as a performance outfit as opposed to everyday use) or if those women weren't interested.

This sounds disgustingly self centered and nothing to be proud about.  Perhaps it means something else besides how I read it. 

I took it to mean that Utah is 

its own little universe

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I suspect that the vast majority of active LDS women would not want to be on a show like this.  It takes a particular personality to want to have their life exposed to the world in this way.   They say shows like this is "reality" TV.  There is not much reality in these shows. 

1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

I took it to mean that Utah is 

its own little universe

Could very well mean that, but looking at the picture which looks like any other promo glamour shot, it comes across as a clone of all those other ‘universes’ the show portrays from what little I have read of them (I see headlines at times, comes across as a lot of drama over nothing of actual value).

Anyone watched them out of curiosity sometime?

Edited by Calm

I read the intro piece about each one  of the women and none of them are flattering.  They go out of their way to paint them as vain, shallow, and materialistic.  The one that claims to be "jewish by birth, Mormon by choice' actively drinks alcohol, so more "mormon" than Latter-day Saint.  It sounds like the others are all non-members or ex members.  

The Pentecostal housewife had to marry her grandmother's 2nd husband (after the grandma died) to inherit the family business.  :bad: 

I cannot think of anything so mind-numbingly boring as to watch this type of television program. It could only appeal to the very basest of human interests. I have never watched one and I don't see myself ever being interested in watching such trash. 

Edited by Storm Rider

These shows are doctored and edited to create drama. I have spoken with people involved in creating these shows. Some of the drama is fabricated and some is deliberately incited and some does not really exist but creative editing makes it seem to. Reality TV as a show where the actors are all amateurs and ad-lib a lot. From what I have heard people who watch a series they are a part of are often confused when they watch it; it is so diced up it bears little resemblance to what they remember happening.

Cheaper to edit than to write a script or actually do a thoughtful documentary.

An episode for a scripted series can be anywhere between a half-million and millions of dollars depending on the network and content involved," Manville says. "Reality TV is much more manageable in terms of getting content produced and on the air, with much less risk. But the process reflects that as well. It’s much easier to sell a reality TV show."

Depending on the network and content, Manville says budgets for reality shows can range from $100,000 to more than $500,000 per episode.

https://www.southuniversity.edu/news-and-blogs/2016/08/reality-tv-low-cost-programming-that-produces-high-ratings-119585

I don’t mind creative competition shows or how to.... as they can if decent teach us how to do things we can actually use or let’s us see what is behind things we use, but lifestyles of the rich, odd, or fake angry bug me.

Edited by Calm