Countdown to Kickoff

Those who know me know what a BYU sports fan I am... so imagine my surprise and delight to find that this evening at 5:00 PM PDT the BYU Cougars will face off against Navy in our first football game of the season... Zack Wilson will be our quarterback, and the game will be broadcast nationally on ESPN...   seems strange not to see any fans in the stands... Go Cougs!!

from the beach on a lovely fall evening... GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Are they doing " touch " football ? 😄

It's 2nd quarter and BYU leads 21 - 0!!  I hope they can hold on and win this opener... We look pretty good so far... most sideline people are wearing masks.

GG

edit to add:  It's the 3rd quarter and BYU leads 45 - 0...

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 1

4th Quarter.... BYU leads 55 - 3...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
6 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

4th Quarter.... BYU leads 55 - 3...

GG

Is Navy practicing social distancing?  They do know that they need to make contact to tackle a player from the opposing team, right?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

Is Navy practicing social distancing?  They do know that they need to make contact to tackle a player from the opposing team, right?

They apparently didn’t get a chance to practice with all the equipment on, so weren’t really prepared. Not their fault. (I walked through the room just as the commentators were talking about Navy bring demoralized and my husband explained why).

Edited by Calm

Nope. My husband described it as the seats were full of nothing. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JamesBYoung said:

Boring game.  But a Utah team won, so OK.

So, with a full slate of college football on the schedule, what game did you watch?

Oh. :huh:

Wait. :unknw:

Sorry. :huh:

My bad!

1 hour ago, JamesBYoung said:

SMU, HBU, and SFA, the best I could with internet. And Army, of course.

Huh.  That's interesting.  I suppose I didn't realize how "full" the schedule actually was last night.  More power to you.

• Like 1

Well that result is likely to make Tom Holmoe’s job to fill out the schedule more difficult. Well done Cougars.  🏈

Beat Army and make your claim on the Commander-in-Chief trophy. 😀

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Well that result is likely to make Tom Holmoe’s job to fill out the schedule more difficult. Well done Cougars.  🏈

Beat Army and make your claim on the Commander-in-Chief trophy. 😀

In order to do that, they'd have to beat Air Force, too, wouldn't they?  Not on the schedule! :(

• Like 1
On 9/7/2020 at 7:51 PM, Garden Girl said:

Those who know me know what a BYU sports fan I am... so imagine my surprise and delight to find that this evening at 5:00 PM PDT the BYU Cougars will face off against Navy in our first football game of the season... Zack Wilson will be our quarterback, and the game will be broadcast nationally on ESPN...   seems strange not to see any fans in the stands... Go Cougs!!

from the beach on a lovely fall evening... GG

Will BYU be having school, and will students be able to attend the games? 

2 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Will BYU be having school, and will students be able to attend the games? 

I don't know....

GG

14 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I don't know....

GG

Although not college, I ask because my grandchildren started back to school, only for it to stop within a couple of weeks. Now they attend school two days a week only. Even the two days a week is now in jeopardy, for a number of reasons. I am wondering if the same thing might happen with sports, start up and then shut down after only a game or two. We are living in a very odd year, something I fear (I say “I fear” as a turn of phrase, as I do not) that this year, may continue on into the next. If school is in constant fear of closing down due to “social distancing”, and the spread of COVID-19, sports (well most) have no ability to conform to “social distancing”. I wonder for the sake of the “student athlete”, those who depend on their scholarships, and what might happen with, start up’s and then sudden closures? This is a truly perplexing year, which I thing will soon come to be known as “The Lost Year”. 

• 3 weeks later...