Behind the Mast: Being Cosmo. Lds Living Article

Near the end of July of this summer, LDS Living has published an article about Charlie Bird, the BYU athlete who recently completed his stint as BYU's mascot, Cosmo the Cougar.

It's approach in affirming both Charlie's membership in the LDS Faith and as a gay man is refreshing, perhaps from any angle from which one may approach these issues.

Regardless of my own personal beliefs, I see changes allowing/encouraging safe spaces allowing LGBT individuals to openly discuss their thoughts, feelings, and realities as welcome additions to LDS culture and practice.  I wish Charlie and those like him (including those here on the board) all the best on their journeys through life.

Edited by Nemesis
Formatting issue
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, Daniel2 said:

Near the end of July of this summer, LDS Living has published an article about Charlie Bird, the BYU athlete who recently completed his stint as BYU's mascot, Cosmo the Cougar.

It's approach in affirming both Charlie's membership in the LDS Faith and as a gay man is refreshing, perhaps from any angle from which one may approach these issues.

Regardless of my own personal beliefs, I see changes allowing/encouraging safe spaces allowing LGBT individuals to openly discuss their thoughts, feelings, and realities as welcome additions to LDS culture and practice.  I wish Charlie and those like him (including those here on the board) all the best on their journeys through life.

Have you read the story about the excommunicated Mission president? I love what Pres. Ballard told him

https://latterdaysaintmag.com/the-journey-home-for-a-mission-president-who-was-excommunicated/

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing this article Daniel2.  It was very thought provoking. A thought experiment for each of us. 
For men: At what point in your life did you make a conscious choice to be attracted to women?

For women: At what point in your life did you make a conscious choice to be attracted to men?

As a man, I can tell you I never made that choice.  There was no choice to make.  I am naturally attracted to women.  But as Charlie points out in the article, he too did not choose to be gay.  He made no choice.  His attraction to men is just as natural as my attraction to women.

19 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Thanks for sharing this article Daniel2.  It was very thought provoking. A thought experiment for each of us. 
For men: At what point in your life did you make a conscious choice to be attracted to women?

For women: At what point in your life did you make a conscious choice to be attracted to men?

As a man, I can tell you I never made that choice.  There was no choice to make.  I am naturally attracted to women.  But as Charlie points out in the article, he too did not choose to be gay.  He made no choice.  His attraction to men is just as natural as my attraction to women.

https://www.theonion.com/after-careful-deliberation-baby-goes-with-homosexualit-1819575054

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daniel2 said:

Hey Daniel2.

I am disappointed. I was looking for a naval adventure! A typo in the thread title was I think, misleading me. No worries, Daniel, but I was thinking that you were sharing something about a new found interest.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Years_Before_the_Mast

• Like 2
22 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Hey Daniel2.

I am disappointed. I was looking for a naval adventure! A typo in the thread title was I think, misleading me. No worries, Daniel, but I was thinking that you were sharing something about a new found interest.  

I see motion sickness on my horizon. 🤢🤮

35 minutes ago, Judd said:

It took me a second, but I got it. 

As I always say, "Nothin' gets past me!  It might have to be goin' awful slow, but nothin' gets past me!" :D

On 9/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, Daniel2 said:

Church membership has never been about what (or how) people “feel”, if so most married men would be in trouble concerning the thoughts that flood their minds while awake or while sleeping. I remember sitting on a “Church disciplinary court“ some 30 years ago, where it was clear at the outset that the issue before us was “NOT” about, “feelings”, or how the person “identifies“. Heaven forbid we ever discourage honesty, and how we as a people should act toward anyone who desires to be counted among us as members of our Faith.    

• Like 1
On 9/7/2020 at 4:52 PM, 3DOP said:

Hey Daniel2.

Truly one of the best books I ever read

23 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Truly one of the best books I ever read

Heh. That's great.

I have not read it. Maybe I shall do so. Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Like 1